Houston
Sponsored by

Selling a car without a title

1,127 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Jett01
GrayMatter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
MIL has a 2001 Toyota Highlander that she wants to get rid of. It would cost her ~$900 to get a title in her name so she doesn't want to go through the trouble. The car doesn't work, but doesn't seem like it would take much to fix. (Long story short, it has an oil leak that no one has seemed to have been able to find...according to her) She had the engine replaced with a refurbished one and has new tires.

Anyone know where she might get a good deal to sell this?

Thanks!
LostInLA07
AG
Whose name is the car titled in?
Panama Red
AG
Bienvenidos a los Estados Unidos a su madre! Buena suerte en la venta del coche!
Tagguy
AG
Why would getting the title cost 900
GrayMatter
AG
I honestly don't know how it would cost $900 to get a title under her name because it was originally owned my wife's grandmother. They called DMV and they were told that's how much it would cost.

I am not really sure how it would cost that much.
Martin Q. Blank
bonded title?
Post removed:
by user
Jett01
AG
Look into doing an Affidavit of Heirship. This can be done if the deceased owner does not have a probated will. Essentially all surviving heirs would sign this form giving a person (likely one of the heirs) the right to sell the vehicle as the owner. Then, that person can sell the vehicle to your MIL. She's still have to pay taxes and registration, but certainly cheaper than a $900 bonded title.
GrayMatter
AG
No, the grandmother is still living. The latest is that DMV actually wanted $1200 instead of $900 to change the title to my mother in laws name. It doesn't make sense to me at all.
Dr. Faustus
AG
quote:
No, the grandmother is still living. The latest is that DMV actually wanted $1200 instead of $900 to change the title to my mother in laws name. It doesn't make sense to me at all.

They're probably getting her for sales tax on the vehicle.
Post removed:
by user
GrayMatter
AG
Spot on Georgia. They're charging her for unpaid sales tax plus penalties. The title is under Toyota's possession.
Jett01
AG
Taxes would be figured with SPV. is the back of the title dated? That's they only way I can think there would be that many fees -DQ transfer penalty. But, there could be ways around that.

If not, grandma can gift the title to daughter or granddaughter.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.