Houston
Sponsored by

Original promise to end tolls?

9,287 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Zobel
CrossBowAg99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
The Westpark could never not be a toll road. It is too narrow to open it up to the levels of traffic it could receive if it wasn't a pay road. It already is gridlock now with it being a pay option.

If the people of Houston quit hugging trees, Hctra could double the size of the west park by buying the other 50' of ROW that METRO owns.
CrossBowAg99
AG
quote:
The only way toll roads would have been an acceptable way to finance more roads is if our government entities kept their promises. I'm OK paying a toll to finance a specific road in my area to make transportation better. However, a toll road now means you have accepted a very high and permanent transportation tax on your area of town. You doing that just allows other areas to free ride off of your paying more for roads forever and ever.

I's like a to see a state-wide candidate propose raising the gas tax and using some of the funds to eliminate the tolling entities that have abused the public trust. Along with it an amendment that only allows tolling entities to be created only for specific roads with the understanding that the tolls go away when the initial construction is paid for and the TXDot, counties, etc. pick up maintenance on these transportation gifts at that time.

Gay, you are full of good ideas, you should do a tiny bit of research before you post!
redag06
quote:
quote:
Just wait until someone decides toll roads discriminate against minorities or the poor and they get subsidized to drive free while you pay more.

For the record, I did protest via letters when they proposed making hwy 6 to cstat a new toll road...

They already give free tolls to veterans!
Not all vets, only disabled vets.
Jock 07
AG
I thought it was only active duty, and only on the main beltway where there are actual tollbooths.
redag06
quote:
I thought it was only active duty, and only on the main beltway where there are actual tollbooths.
active duty & reserves can also get free tolls in the cash lanes if they show their movement orders.
Jock 07
AG
Pretty sure you only have to show your CaC
Guitarsoup
AG
I heard the tolls in Houston are now used to fund GLBT adoption.
CrossBowAg99
AG
And abortions
IrishTxAggie
AG
The only thing temporary about a temporary tax is the word "temporary."
Towns03
AG
quote:
LOL at anyone who thinks government or some other bureaucratic organization will ever let up on monies they are receiving.
Towns03
AG
how much to they pull in a day? $1.5MM? $2MM?
BoxingAg84
I'd rather keep paying.
It keeps the riff raff off the tollways.
There's already enough congestion as it is.
No need for more.
agnatgas
AG
Toll troll
MemorialTXAg
Tolls. There should be more of them and they should be more expensive.
Zobel
AG
It only keeps the riff raff off if there is a viable alternative. If every road was a toll road, or ever major artery leading to an area was, traffic will be expensive and bad. Then you're just like the NE US.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.