Houston
Sponsored by

One more year of justice for Paul Broussard '87

1,840 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Ryan the Temp
Ryan the Temp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A couple of weeks ago I made another trip to appear before the Parole Board to talk about Paul Broussard '87 and what happened to him on July 4, 1991.

Today they let us know his murderer gets to spend another year in prison.

http://www.dallasvoice.com/jon-buice-denied-parole-1991-gay-bashing-murder-10182876.html
husker6869
Keep the trash in the can.
HBCanine08
Tom Hagen
drmwvr
AG
Wow, was not aware of that story. Was at A&M when it happened so I'm not surprised....

So it appears Buice is the last one in prison. looks like wiki needs to be updated with another parole denial.

Did you know Paul? If so, sorry for your loss.
Ryan the Temp
AG
I never knew Paul, but I've gotten to know his mother pretty well over the years.
El Chupacabra
To bad he didn't get the needle.
SQXVI
AG
Should have gotten the needle, but really hate the precedent this set:

quote:
It was Broussard's murder that prompted then-Texas Gov. Ann Richards to call a special session of the Texas Legislature to pass the state's first hate crimes law in 1993.

Buice should have gotten the needle, but because he killed another human in cold blood; regardless of what the sexuality was
Ryan the Temp
AG
You should be pleased to know the Texas hate crimes law doesn't get used because it doesn't work. Prosecutors don't use it because it is a much higher legal bar to clear for literally no additional penalty in most cases.
BillYeoman
I remember when this happened. Terrible thing. I also remember there was a group of idiots in high school who got arrested for assault during this time frame because they thought it would be fun to drive to Montrose and spend their weekend doing exactly this...

Funny part of the story (more like justice) is that one of them actually got their butt kicked and arrested. Guess they picked the wrong guy to mess with...

All were suspended from school. Never understood the mentality behind their actions.
Texas Savage
How did he avoid the death penalty, especially if he admitted it?
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
How did he avoid the death penalty, especially if he admitted it?
Plea bargain.
NICU Dad
AG
glad to see that trash gets to keep rotting in prison...

agree the hate crime legislation is one of the many unfortunate consequences...isn't all murder a "hate" crime?
HtownAg92
AG
This murder, while heinous, wouldn't qualify for Capital / death penalty in Texas. Has to be in commission of another felony or the victim must a child, law enforcement officer or there must be multiple victims.
Tom Hagen
AG
In lieu of the needle, hopefully he got turned out.
swimmerbabe11
Were you a witness?
Kuz89
AG
I did not realize Paul was an Ag. Thanks for the update.

Glad for the denial.
Texas Savage
Wait a minute, that guy would have had an Ag Tag? Impossible!

But seriously, if it was truly targeting random gay men to kill then he deserves to die.

RtT, have you ever spoken with him? Has he spoken about what he did recently?
Ryan the Temp
AG
Since around 2007 his murderer had begun blaming Paul for his own death in one breath and HFD for it in another. He's regressed to refusing to take responsibility for what he did. He claims stabbing Paul would not have resulted in his death, but that HFD allowed him to bleed out from AIDS panic, despite the fact that Paul lived for more than 8 hours before he died. His murderer says that Paul's request to go to St. Joseph Hospital caused a life-threatening delay, despite the time from the 911 call to arrival at St. Joe's being a mere 50 minutes. He denies that Paul was beaten with nail-studded 2X4s, despite them being checked into evidence and the autopsy report showing injuries of such a nature.

Did I mention he pled guilty? But all of a sudden he's not guilty, right?

Mustang1
AG
So this process will happen every year until he is either granted parole or released? Never ending nightmare.
Catch
AG
Murderers always seem to think they're innocent and shouldn't be punished. A friend of mine from high school murdered his parents next door neighbor. They had his bloody fingerprints on the knife and his DNA on all the cigarette butts he left that he smoked in the house afterwards. He was caught in her car with her blood still on the keys and his shoes, which happened to match the bloody footprints at the scene.
That ****er claimed innocence and unfair punishment until the day he was executed.
88jrt06
AG
" I stabbed him, sure, but AIDs actually caused his death."
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
" I stabbed him, sure, but AIDs actually caused his death."
No, he is claiming HFD didn't treat him because they were afraid he had AIDS. He did not.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.