Houston
Sponsored by

Convince me that Houston isn't full of religious nuts who have little interest

8,995 Views | 84 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by ATM9000
Ryan the Temp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
cone
AG
FHKPLEX03
AG
TheMasterPlan - if I recall you're an engineer in the oil industry, currently based in Australia, right? I'm in the same situation, but in the UK. It sounds like your opinion of Houston is a bit off, not sure if you gained it from other expats who have been posted in Houston and just didn't enjoy it, or what.
I'm not from Houston but did live there for 6 years, then have been in the UK for the past 3 years, I've also lived in central & south America. While it would be nice to have ( not have to pay for ) some decent public transportation in Houston, that's not likely any time soon, plus the taxis have gotten better and they even have Uber now which I've used plenty in London and look forward to when I move back to Houston. It has an excellent food culture, and more 'people' diversity than anywhere else in the states. The vast majority of any consumer goods & services you could ever require are also more affordable than most any other large population centre in the states, and definitely more affordable than the UK or Oz. It's a pretty great place to live, but you also sound like a dick, so stay in Oz or at least away from Houston.
CrossBowAg99
AG
Come back OP, this thread is no fun if we have to make fun of you without defending yourself.
Jack Cheese
AG
quote:
TheMasterPlan - if I recall you're an engineer in the oil industry, currently based in Australia, right? I'm in the same situation, but in the UK. It sounds like your opinion of Houston is a bit off, not sure if you gained it from other expats who have been posted in Houston and just didn't enjoy it, or what.
I'm not from Houston but did live there for 6 years, then have been in the UK for the past 3 years, I've also lived in central & south America. While it would be nice to have ( not have to pay for ) some decent public transportation in Houston, that's not likely any time soon, plus the taxis have gotten better and they even have Uber now which I've used plenty in London and look forward to when I move back to Houston. It has an excellent food culture, and more 'people' diversity than anywhere else in the states. The vast majority of any consumer goods & services you could ever require are also more affordable than most any other large population centre in the states, and definitely more affordable than the UK or Oz. It's a pretty great place to live, but you also sound like a dick, so stay in Oz or at least away from Houston.

Well that's a weird post, but in a funny way. Plus OP already told us he's not a dick and he's pretty authoritative about everything.
BillYeoman
quote:
Come back OP, this thread is no fun if we have to make fun of you without defending yourself.

He is busy right now "kissing the gunner's daughter."
JJxvi
AG
His parents live in Katy so he knows what Houston is like, why don't you guys lay off him?
cajunaggie08
AG
quote:
His parents live in Katy so he knows what Houston is like, why don't you guys lay off him?
I've known many people who grew up in Katy that refused to live in Houston after college because their opinion of growing up in Katy ruined Houston for them. They also are the type to preach about how people need to be more open-minded yet are some of the most close-minded fools I know.
Martin Q. Blank
quote:
I dont mean to come off a dick

Talk to RTT. He'll hook you up.
BullSprig07
AG
There is 2.196 million people in Houston proper, 6.18 in the greater area. Included in this number are some people that are into religion, football and happy hours at sports bars. Also included in this number are people into art, music and food and do not define themselves by their religion. Additionally there is a number of people that happen to have overlapping qualities form both segments. Hope this helps.
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
quote:
I dont mean to come off a dick

Talk to RTT. He'll hook you up.
nm. I won't be vulgar.
bigbass1170
AG
Holy **** was this thread real?
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
There is 2.196 million people in Houston proper, 6.18 in the greater area. Included in this number are some people that are into religion, football and happy hours at sports bars. Also included in this number are people into art, music and food and do not define themselves by their religion. Additionally there is a number of people that happen to have overlapping qualities form both segments. Hope this helps.
I like to think of myself as a Renaissance man. Into all those things except religion. But I am into philosophy.
swimmerbabe11
If you do move here, I know the perfect girl for you.
MelvinUdall
quote:
Jerry Jeff Walker - London Homesick Blues

Listen, and learn something.

Absolutely perfect cong for the OP.
ATM9000
AG
Houston's in the Texas so I'd expect a bit more religion here than in most places though... But the college football thing baffles me. I don't think anyone nationally would accuse this city of being insanely into their college football team let alone even much of a sports town. Houstons definitely not known as a big drinking city either. Overall, the OP puzzles me. I'd guess he just needs to grow up and realize that just because he works in probably some ****ty berg as a low level engineer in a ****ty country, he's not really a rennaisance man and needs to put down his copy of Eat Pray Love.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.