Houston
Sponsored by

Convince me that Houston isn't full of religious nuts who have little interest

8,997 Views | 84 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by ATM9000
TheMasterplan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
outside of drinking and Texas/Texas A&M/Texas Tech Football.

May move there. I picture it as the definition of an average city. I live overseas and in my mid-20s.
ballchain
TheMasterplan
I've been to Houston many times and my parents live in Katy. Don't be so full of yourself. There are numerous better cities out there and you need to realize that. Come down off your pedestal.

Most people would love to show off their city to others and offer advice while you did none of that.
94chem
It has a better beach than Dallas, but a lower self image. Not overly trendy like Austin, but not as good trendy like Fort Worth either. Nice weather durng the winter, but takes a long time to drive anywhere interesting in the summer, unless you have an RV. Great restaurants and museums, cheap housing in the suburbs, lousy traffic, no mass transit.
CrossBowAg99
AG
Houston doesn't need to convince your dumb ass to move here.

The dollars to that!
CrossBowAg99
AG
There is a Gayor
CrossBowAg99
AG
BTW Katy sux
CrossBowAg99
AG
You should move to Austin, but no one would hire you there
BillYeoman
quote:
I've been to Houston many times and my parents live in Katy. Don't be so full of yourself. There are numerous better cities out there and you need to realize that. Come down off your pedestal.

Most people would love to show off their city to others and offer advice while you did none of that.

What exactly are you asking again?
CrossBowAg99
AG
Good point Bill
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
quote:

Make sure your parents have plenty of bleach in case a hurricane hits Katy.

Drink some of that bleach as your heading out for El Paso.
rjamizon
I don't think this is what the OP had in mind when he started this thread.
BMX Bandit
Most agree there are lots of "better cities" out there from an aesthetic standpoint. But what makes houston a great place to live is the people. Hard working, friendly, not flashy, & a mostly "leave me alone, I'll leave you alone" attitude.

No ones feelings will be hurt if masterplan chooses to live elsewhere. Doesn't seem like he'd really fit in anyway.
cone
AG
best city living in the state
The Original AG 76
AG
By all means you really should NOT move to Houston. You are SO right ..absolutely chocker block FULL of religious nuts and drunk football fans.
Why in the name of Zeus would you want to have some religious neighbor that might actually come over to offer you a helping hand if your mower is broke, or might invite you over to watch some damn A&M/Texas/Tech football game and share a few beers with you. The horrors, that damn neighbor might even try and be neighborly and bring over some vittles if you are layed up sick or or or........
I would ,for sure, advise you to stay wherever the hell you are now and dont add your obvious superior intellect and lifestyle to the horrible Houston scene. We just could not handle such an outstanding human being in the midst of us low life religous nut, drinking, football loving low life.....
TheMasterplan
Superdave is probably 100% right and Original Ag, I dont mean to come off a dick but looking from the outside, there's just more to life than that stuff. If you've lived in Texas your whole life, which would be a bad assumption for me to make, and haven't ventured outside the US for a long period of time then you wouldn't understand.

I just simply ask if people in Houston have things going on in their life that don't have to do with their careers and with their university. Like they have an identity that have nothing to do with those two things and can carry a decent conversation without bringing in their religion. Cus really, that's all I'm looking for. And a bit of public bloody transportation.
Splitag
AG
Yep, after reading your last response, I'd have to agree with the El Paso suggestion. I hear Ciudad Juarez has an electric nightlife. You'll love the "outside the US" feel of the city and the lack of college educated spiritual folks.
Build It
AG
It's full. Don't come. Hope that answers you question .
The Original AG 76
AG
Damn, you are serious. With that attitude I suggest you stay where you are. Seriously.
Yes ... I have many friends and I can honestly say I have no idea what, if any, church they attend. Have a vague idea what they do and might remember where the went to college BUT I absolutley doubt you would find our conversations up to your international expectations. I mean it's doubtful that politics is your bag , doubt that outdoor kitchens , pools, drives in the country to look at bluebonnets interest your sophisticated tastes, no doubt salt water fishing is beneath your contemporary palette as is our love for beef, shrimp, spicy anything or craft beers / whiskey. Public transport is NOT on our want lists as it usually means high taxes spent on useless boondoggles or worse , means for poo trash to have ready access to our little realms in order to rob, rape and pillage..... Houston does have a world class art and museum scene but then I'm sure it's not up to your august standards.....
Just stay the F where you are , or better yet....
MOVE TO DALLAS, it's FULL of people just like you...
We will both be much happier ...
The Original AG 76
AG
And BTW , hotshot.. I've lived in other states, traveled overseas extensively. Spent lots of time in what you would , no doubt, label " world class" cities and always feel like kissing the ground when I gets back to Texas!
FarmerJohn
AG
I don't think anyone has ever moved to Houston because someone "sold" them on it. At least not in the last 100 years.* If you need to be sold on a place, might I suggest Austin and New Orleans?

*The original advertising of Allen's Landing actually did sell people on Houston with scenes of rivers and mountains. I have to think there was a lot of disappointment.
UndergroundAg
quote:

I just simply ask if people in Houston have things going on in their life that don't have to do with their careers and with their university. Like they have an identity that have nothing to do with those two things and can carry a decent conversation without bringing in their religion. Cus really, that's all I'm looking for. And a bit of public bloody transportation.

What do you have going on in your life? You seem overly concerned with what people have going on in their lives and with what other people are doing...
UndergroundAg
Maroon Skittles
OP, I would suggest you look at New York, Boston, or Chicago. Those cities are full of pretentious people just like you that have life all figured out and can't waste time on such inferior things, like God or football.

Oh and I've traveled all over the world too... While I didn't live abroad for a year or whatever you have done, I've spent enough time in Europe, Asia, and South America to realize how shallow many of those people's lives are. I found Europe, especially, to be spiritually dead and focused on the wrong things in life.

quote:
there's just more to life than that stuff

Other posters may not agree with me and that is fine, but if you were to ever put aside your presumptions and earnestly desire to have a relationship with God, you would find that He is everything in life. To be in harmony with the Creator of the universe is a beautiful thing. You cannot understand it if you are too busy trying to fill the happiness hole in your heart with worldly pursuits like hobbies, relationships, man made wonders, even the beauty of nature. Those things never offer lasting satisfaction.

I hope you find whatever you are looking for, but I doubt you will.
AgKJ
AG
OP - it seems like your point in starting this thread wasn't really to get your question answered, but instead to tell everybody how you feel about Houston. What's the point in that? So now you've seen some of the world and you want to tell everyone back home how backwards and redneck they are? Pretty lame, dude.

I grew up in Houston, and like you my career took me all over the country/world. About ten years ago I moved back. Do I sometimes chuckle at the 'closed culture' here, and do I miss some of the things that I've experienced? Sure. But it wouldn't cross my mind to throw out a backhanded insult to a bunch of people who are perfectly content with life as they know it on their city message board.

You said you're in your mid-20's. That is pretty obvious from your choice in posting this. You'll likely smile and shake your head with a little regret for posting this if someone reminds you of it in ten years. I recommend that you enjoy your thing and don't look for opportunities to pop off at the mouth to others that are enjoying their thing.
cone
AG
how about you tell us what feature you're looking for and we'll let you know if Houston has got something like that?
YellAg2004
AG
OP:

Ragoo
AG
Houston sucks ass like literally the worst major city in the US.
cone
AG
if you're working 40+ hours a week at a career, there's plenty to keep you busy
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
quote:
I mean it's doubtful that politics is your bag , doubt that outdoor kitchens , pools, drives in the country to look at bluebonnets

Trying to picture you frolicking in a field of blue bonnets by the side of the highway almost caused me to spit out my coffee.
Cedar Bayou Ag
AG
Try looking at housing over by the uh campus. You will fit in perfectly over there. They don't talk about A&M Texas and tech football and definitely don't talk about church.. Win win situation
Jack Cheese
AG
So I need to have an identity outside my job and university, but it can't be oriented around my religion? Check.

Why don't you just let us all know the types of identities that are acceptable in the urbane, worldly view with which you plan to grace us?
The Original AG 76
AG
Oh come on Harry... I do have my soft side!!! I also love kittens!
KatyAg01
AG
In addition to all the churches and bars, we also have museums, art galleries, and sh/t like that. Plenty of other things for people like you to do, being all worldly and whatnot.

And lemme guess, you don't own a TV, but your loft smells of rich mahogany and has many, many leather-bound books.
The Original AG 76
AG
ohh come on now. He owns a TV..how else would he watch Masterpiece Theatre and Evening At The Met ?
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.