Houston
Sponsored by

City attorneys subpoena sermons

51,824 Views | 431 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by CrossBowAg99
Jack Cheese
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Well this is some twisted ****. People's Republic of Houston.

http://m.chron.com/news/politics/houston/article/City-subpoenas-pastors-sermons-in-equal-rights-5822403.php
jetch17
AG
Gay
tylercsbn9
AG
Did I hear correctly that the pastors involved aren't even in the suit against the ordinance?

CheeseSndwch
The funny thing is that this will probably be the catalyst that finally gets this thing on the ballot.
CrossBowAg99
AG
But atleast everyone feels equal now
rjamizon
Wow
htxag09
Chewy
AG
Based on the articles I've read this seems like TOTAL BS to me. It's completely unnecessary and why I loathe politics these days. It's all agenda driven with no common sense or compromise applied at all.
Tom Hagen
AG
The pastors should tell the city attorneys to go play in traffic. That is a clear violaton of the First Amendment.
plowboy1065
S
So we have to keep the church away from the state, but the state can do whatever it likes with the church?
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
The pastors should tell the city attorneys to go play in traffic. That is a clear violaton of the First Amendment.
Subpoenaing people who were actively involved in a petition that is central to a court case has nothing to do with the First Amendment. Why should church employees be immune from subpoenas for activities they participated in and the churches they work for participated in that are central to a lawsuit they brought against the City?

"We're going to sue you, but we don't think you should be able to gather any evidence from us."
Panama Red
AG
No surprise the former head of Houston ObamaCorps is okay with this.
El Chupacabra
Militant intolerant gays using public offices to push their agenda.
KW02
AG
quote:
"We're going to sue you, but we don't think you should be able to gather any evidence from us."

Why don't you make sure you get your facts straight and not spread misinformation. None of the pastors being subpoenaed sued the City or Mayor Parker.
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
No surprise the former head of Houston ObamaCorps is okay with this.
LOLWUT
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
quote:

Why don't you make sure you get your facts straight and not spread misinformation. None of the pastors being subpoenaed sued the City or Mayor Parker.
Go look at the petitions. When you do that, the list of people subpoenaed will make sense.
Chewy
AG
I've read three different articles that all state the pastors in question are not part of the suit.

Ryan - Is this true or not? You seem to believe otherwise but you obviously have a bias with the parties involved. What are the facts?
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
Militant intolerant homophobes suing public officials to push their agenda.
FIFY
Chewy
AG
I honestly don't have time to look at the petition.

Are the articles wrong then?
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
I've read three different articles that all state the pastors in question are not part of the suit.

Ryan - Is this true or not? You seem to believe otherwise but you obviously have a bias with the parties involved. What are the facts?
See my response to KW02. All of the people subpoenaed were actively involved in the petition process far above and beyond just signing it.
KW02
AG
Edit: Above is the "technically" from RTT...

Plaintiffs:
Jared Woodfill, Steven Holtz, FN Williams, Sr, and Max Miller

Subpoenas to: Pastor Hernan Castano, Ms. Magda Hermida, Pastor Khan Huynh, Pastor Steve Riggie, and Pastor David Welch
Ryan the Temp
AG
Dave Welch was the petition ringleader. The others were actively involved in the petition process. And I find it interesting that they don't show the full list of about 20 people who were subpoenaed.
El Chupacabra
quote:
quote:
FIFY

Keeping laughing about it. The mockery you intolerant, hateful, spiteful, single issue radicals are making of government is working out for you. Congratulations, you're winning.
KW02
AG
Just so everyone is clear as to what the Petition says related to pastors:

"Along with each of the Plaintiffs herein, a coalition of pastors and others ('the Coalition') organized a petition drive to force the City of Houston to repeal this law . . . "
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
FIFY

Keeping laughing about it. The mockery you intolerant, hateful, spiteful, single issue radicals are making of government is working out for you. Congratulations, you're winning.
And the death throes or your movement are hilarious to watch because all the sane people are bailing on you, so your side just looks crazier and crazier.
CrossBowAg99
AG
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/10/14/city-houston-demands-pastors-turn-over-sermons/
Build It
AG
How do you impeach a Mayor?
Chewy
AG
Correct. A suit and petition are two TOTALLY different things. There's a CLEAR line and it appears our government is blurring it for their benefit and that's scary.
CrossBowAg99
AG
cone
AG
quote:
so your side just looks crazier and crazier.

let's tap the brakes here

the current climate of SJWs is pretty ****ing crazy

and they're not going to be satisfied with merely the outcome you see as just
AgLA06
AG
I haven't signed a petition, but this looks bad for the city. This is people abusing power to bully those that disagree with their point of view.

Elected officials are their to REPRESENT the citizens of this city, not push their own agenda. Whether you agree with the petition or not political process was followed to stop the city from overstepping their bounds when this wasn't voted on by Houstonians.

If this act is supposed to represent what Houston wants, then why are politicians resorting to this extreme? Why hasn't it already been put to vote? To me, this speaks more than a petition or some pastor's sermon.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
The City Hall Pink Mafia has zero tolerance for dissent.
HtownAg92
AG
quote:
Dave Welch was the petition ringleader. The others were actively involved in the petition process. And I find it interesting that they don't show the full list of about 20 people who were subpoenaed.

quote:
Subpoenaing people who were actively involved in a petition that is central to a court case has nothing to do with the First Amendment. Why should church employees be immune from subpoenas for activities they participated in and the churches they work for participated in that are central to a lawsuit they brought against the City?

Being involved in a petition =/= being a party to a lawsuit. You last quote is nonsense. No one is opposing the gathering of evidence from the parties (yet). I'm sure there will be woefully overbroad discovery requests served on them, but that's not the issue here. It is the City and Mayor abusing their power and trampling on the right to engage in religious practices without government interference or intimidation.

The selective enforcement of this Equal Rights ordinance is ridiculous. I haven't looked back at it in a while, but I'm almost certain that "religion" was a protected category under the ordinance. Didn't see the qualification that stated "no one may discriminate against you based on your religion so long as your views are not opposed to the Mayor's agenda."

I know you don't have a choice for a number of reasons, but you really can't honestly defend this one RTT.
agmatt06
AG
I posted something similar to this on the political board.

A subpoena in this case isn't surprising and shouldn't have been a big deal.

What is concerning is broad language used in the subpoena to attempt to go on a fishing expedition (and a veiled threat) against the Churches for daring to challenge this. The motion to quash the subpoena specifically calls out that this broad language goes against Texas Law.

What is becoming evident from watching all of this unfold is that RTT and the Mayor are willing to pushing this through by any means necessary. RTT has done a lot of good for the Houston Forum, and it's sad to see this side of him come out.

It is scary when you have a lame duck mayor say that this is all about her, and then do whatever it takes to keep this away from a public vote for fear of what voters might do.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.