Houston
Sponsored by

Restaurant Review: Fish and The Knife

3,896 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by MAS444
DiskoTroop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
http://www.yelp.com/biz/fish-and-the-knife-sushi-bar-and-lounge-houston

Went Saturday evening.

Dining area and Bar:

Great decor. Very modern but comfortable. Tables were not so close as to hear neighboring conversations. Lounge in the bar area looked very comfortable with couches and chairs. Didn't sit there though. Went straight for the dining area and was seated at a table.

The food:

Got there just in time to order a drink and some appetizers from the happy hour menu.

I had hot sake, the rib had a lychee-tini. The lychee-tini was too sweet for her tastes but was mixed well and was very drinkable. My sake was ok, but I could tell it wasn't a very good sake. I'll probably order directly from their extensive sake menu next time.

The appetizers menu for Happy Hour wasn't huge but there was some neat stuff on there. We ordered baked oysters and wild mushroom/blue cheese toast. Both were outstanding. They were $4 each and it came with 2 oysters and 2 toast pieces. At first we thought it was kind of a rip on the price, but then when we ate them, our minds changed. They were exceptional.

We then moved on to a soup course which we split. Angry Lobster Wanton Soup. This comes with a lobster bisque in which there is a steamed lobster wanton and a fried lobster wanton. This soup was simply imeasurable. I can't say enough about it. Just a unique, amazingly delicious soup.

Sushi rolls were not overly creative, but were excuted perfectly. Fire Roll had crab, avocado, jalapeno, cream cheese, etc etc. Ribeye roll had crab, cucumber, avocado and ribeye slices on tip. Both were excellent if not inventive.

Since we had so much to spend left on our Groupon, we ordered some items to take home as well. Shrimp and Brie Orzo - This was out of control good. Very simple. I'm fairly certain I can make this... Will be trying it out.
Mango Chicken Fried Rice - This sounded very different and strange and we wanted to try something new. Boy was it. It was also simply terrific. Very simple fried rice with only chicken, some green onion and little chunks of mango but the flavors were tremendous.

Our waiters name was Aaron and I would highly recommend him. The assistant managers name was Sam and he came by to check on us once during the soup course. Both were very nice and capable, didn't overwhelm or interrupt but worked efficiently and were friendly.

As a side note, they had a bunch of legitimate scotches and high grade tequila's in the bar. This would probably be a great place for a happy hour. I'm going to be going back.

I know that's a lot of writing but someone will read it I'm sure. Ryan should have gone here for his anniversary.
DiskoTroop
It should also be stated that the chef is of Asian and Cajun French decent. Only half the menu was Sushi/Sushi-esque. The other half of the menu had many great Cajun inspired dishes too. Crawfish stuffed chicken breasts, seafood gumbo, etc etc. We plan on going back to enjoy those types of dishes another evening.
Diggity
AG
quote:
My sake was ok, but I could tell it wasn't a very good sake.
They don't typically heat up good sake. Kind of like crappy beer tasting a lot better when it's ice cold
Mustang1
AG
Is this place only open at dinner?
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
My wife saw that groupon and asked me about it. I said 'pass'. Sounds like i screwed up. As many years as they took building that place, it had better be over the top awesome.
sts7049
AG
seems like your yelp review was in the minority in loving the place.
DiskoTroop
quote:
quote:
My sake was ok, but I could tell it wasn't a very good sake.
They don't typically heat up good sake. Kind of like crappy beer tasting a lot better when it's ice cold

This is true.

quote:
seems like your yelp review was in the minority in loving the place.

I can only give you my impression. Take it for what you will but I had a great experience and will be back. I didn't go at 10:00 on a Saturday night though. If it's super busy it might not be as good an experience. Who knows?
DiskoTroop
quote:
Is this place only open at dinner?

11a-10p according to Yelp.
DiskoTroop
quote:
My wife saw that groupon and asked me about it. I said 'pass'. Sounds like i screwed up. As many years as they took building that place, it had better be over the top awesome.

I'm just now hearing about it. It's an impressive place for sure. Big rock walls in the entry, very modern designs inside. Neat place. Awesome food.
Diggity
AG
quote:
I can only give you my impression. Take it for what you will but I had a great experience and will be back. I didn't go at 10:00 on a Saturday night though. If it's super busy it might not be as good an experience. Who knows?
I'm only speculating here, but the people living in the neighborhood behind that restaraunt are really upset about people parking on "their" streets. It wouldn't be a stretch to think they're putting some low reviews there.
HvilleAggie
AG
Looking forward to trying this out on Wednesday thanks to the same Groupon!
DiskoTroop
Diggity, that wouldn't surprize me either.

What does surprize me is that they have a huge parking lot and free valet. It would surprize me if people did have to park on the streets. Also it's right next to Molina's Mexican Restaurant which also has a huge parking lot. Hum... Strange.
DiskoTroop
quote:
Looking forward to trying this out on Wednesday thanks to the same Groupon!

Ask for Aaron. He was great. And try that Angry Lobster soup.
Diggity
AG
I think this is more for the late night scene. It turns into a club apparently.
Furlock Bones
AG
i went one time when it first opened. they quite literally ran out of about half of the menu items. the waiter would constantly recommend something. then walk away for 5 minutes only to tell us there was no more.

we also had trouble with a hostess that had a bad attitude. we had reservations for 8 people. she took us to a round table that sat 6 and said the other 2 people could sit at the 4 top next to it. when we said that was unacceptable, we want a table that can seat all of us together. she got all huffy.

i mean there are growing pains in any restaurant but we thought it was pretty over the top ridiculous.

the food we did get was good. it just wasn't so amazing that we have felt the need to return and try again.
Rubicante
AG
I don't think I'd ever go to a restaurant for at least the first month after it opens. Those first few weeks are pretty rough. I was apprehensive about trying this place out but I think I'll give it a shot soon after reading your review.
HtownAg92
AG
I just don't see a place like that making it. Seemed overly ambitious and costly for such a questionable location. It's got proximity to some money in Tanglewood, but I don't see the RO, Montrose or West U crowd driving that far out on Westheimer when better options are closer and ITL.

Wonder if the Groupon is the first sign that things aren't going as well as hoped.
Furlock Bones
AG
Htown,

That was actually my first thought. Overly expensive build out for the area. No way it makes it.
Worm01
AG
Did you ask why it took them 3 years to build the place?
fire09
AG
Went last week with my boss. The food was decent, but I probably won't go back.
Diggity
AG
quote:
Did you ask why it took them 3 years to build the place?
laundering money is a marathon my friend, not a race.
HtownAg92
AG
Well, this is a huge surprise. /sarcasm

http://houston.eater.com/2014/11/24/7274795/fish-the-knife-expected-to-close-nine-months-after-opening
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Shocking.

Bad location, mediocre concept, Canadian clientele, and construction & financing woes = quick closing.
DiskoTroop
That sucks. I had a really nice meal in there.
HvilleAggie
AG
This is a bummer! We had a great meal there, although I can understand the knocks on it's identity problems. If they just got rid of the club lounge area right by the front door and took themselves seriously as a restaurant then it may have been a different story.
Tom Hagen
AG
http://www.indmix.biz/album14/112114f/index.html

A coincidence that the closing was announced right after this event?
HtownAg92
AG
quote:
If they just got rid of the club lounge area right by the front door or built the place in Montrose, The Village, Upper Kirby, or no farther west than Post Oak, and took themselves seriously as a restaurant then it may have been a different story.
Seriously, the location was factor #1 in its doom. You can't build a $3M high-end restaurant in a dead section of West Houston next to an Auto-Zone and dingy kabob joints and expect to draw the type of clientele you need to make it.

Oh, and the linked party doesn't help. See Richmond Strip, Shepherd Plaza, etc. for historical reference.
HvilleAggie
AG
So I called today to find out their holiday schedule and squeeze in a visit this week before they close. When I mentioned the closing to the hostess she eagerly told me that they were remodeling and would be re-opening in January. Skeptical of which direction they were heading, she confirmed my fears that the changes would be skewed toward "entertainment" instead of a restaurant. Seems like they're giving the people what they want [facepalm]
DiskoTroop
Ugh. They're giving the Canadians what they want apparently. Soon it'll be $1 nights for shots of Hypnotic and Hennessey and the whole place will smell like hot bologna, activator, menthol and coco-butter.
Tone2002
As oppose to the smell of wet dog. Interesting,
Texaggie7nine
Wow. No racism on this thread.
Panama Red
AG
You eat at a restaurant 1 time, with a groupon, and are critical they are making changes to please their regular customers?

Should they just continue losing money as they wait for you to win a giftcard at the company Christmas party? Or perhaps start selling deals at Costco?

Facepalm seems appropriate.
DiskoTroop
quote:
You eat at a restaurant 1 time, with a groupon, and are critical they are making changes to please their regular customers?

Should they just continue losing money as they wait for you to win a giftcard at the company Christmas party? Or perhaps start selling deals at Costco?

Facepalm seems appropriate.

Negative. I'm expressing disappointment in the change they are making as it does not suit my personal wishes. No where did I say they shouldn't change to suit their customer base, nor did I say that I'd been a regular customer of theirs and they should bend to my will.

Check your facepalm.
DiskoTroop
quote:
Wow. No racism on this thread.

Wow. No realism in that post.
MAS444
AG
Having seen and read about this place for a long time, I cannot imagine why anyone would want to go there.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.