Houston
Sponsored by

B92

2,881 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Tom Scholz
CheeseSndwch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
B92

All Beyonce, all the time.

Why is Houston radio such crap?
lancevance
Haha. I saw this thread yesterday and just from the title thought it was a call out thread to a texager.

I turned on the radio this morning and heard Beyonce being played.

No more news radio cuz all the single ladies all the single ladies
cajunaggie08
AG
Because radio has to cater to the lowest common denominator to make money....and we have a lot of low denominators in Houston.
redag06
Have a friend that had a talk show on 92.1, sucks that it is no more. It is embarrassing that we have a station that plays all beyonce now.
Furlock Bones
AG
http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2014/10/08/houston_radio_plays_only_beyonce_why_news_92_may_just_be_stunting.html

There's a long tradition of radio stations engaging in a practice called "stunting" to prank audiences, drum up publicity, or signal the station's impending doom. The stunt is usually to denote a format change: In 2010, a Milwaukee radio station played a whole day of "songs about cheating inspired by Tiger Woods," temporarily rebranding itself as Tiger 106.9, in advance of a shift from smooth jazz to contemporary country. As Tom Taylor of music radio trade publication RadioInfo put it at the time: "Parading an elephant down the street alerts people that the [old] format is gone." It's like "when the circus comes to town." But some stations have engaged in stunts for more artistic or political purposes: In 1994, a sports talk radio station in Akron, Ohio played "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" 57,161 consecutive times (and made it into the Guinness Book of Sports Records) in order to protest that year's Major League Baseball strike.

No word yet on what News 92's new format will be, but it's unlikely to continue the Beyonc shtick for long. Until then, "B92 FM" will feature advertising-free, around-the-clock music from Queen Bey.
Texaggie7nine
I would be embarrassed if Houston music radio was good. That would mean that the majority of Houston was too poor to have satellite radio.
7nine
OnlyForNow
AG
She is from Houston, is a multi-million if not billionaire; I wouldn't put it past her to do something this vain.
The Original AG 76
AG
They have already said it will be " urban hop" whatever that crap is. Probably low IQ rap sh*t.
lancevance
How many urban stations can there be. There is 97.9. 93.7 and then 104.9, and then this?
OnlyForNow
AG
Don't forget manic 102.1 and 95.7
Summer95
AG
Really missing traffic every 10 minutes.

So many other large cities have successful news-only stations (1010 WINS in NY for example). I think they would have done better if they had a longer rotation time so commuters wouldn't have to hear the same story multiple times on their way to work. They also needed younger people. JP, Lana & the like stumbled on their words WAY too often. At any rate, I am sad to see them go. Now I have to take the time to change my pre-sets.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
There was a station here that only played Two Princes by the Spin Doctors for a couple days nonstop during a format change in the 90's.
blinnboy83
This station rules. All old school rap... This and 97.1 are the only decent all music stations in town IMO
LostInLA07
AG
All of y'all complaining about losing 92.1 need to push the "band" button and try AM radio.
redag06
I didn't listen to them for news, I listened to the alternate weekend shows, that a buddy of mine was the host.
Summer95
AG
I do like the new format. Still want a station that does traffic every 10 minutes.
CheeseSndwch
I've never heard of stunting but I guess it works because here we are talking about a new station. I remember before 107.5 the Rocket (now 94.5 the Buzz) launched they played a ticking clock for a couple of days.

According to this website we have:

92.1 Urban Contemporary
93.7 Urban Contemporary
97.9 Hip Hop
102.1 Urban Contemporary

Which seems excessive but when you look at this:

88.1 Spanish
93.3 Regional Mexican
98.5 Regional Mexican
101.1 Spanish
102.9 Regional Mexican
103.3 Regional Mexican
104.9 Spanish
106.5 Spanish
107.9 Regional Mexican

Unbelievable.
CrossBowAg99
AG
What is a honky supposed to listen to?
hurricanejake02
AG
quote:
What is a honky supposed to listen to?
92.9 - Embarrassing excuse for Nashville country
97.1 - "Classic" Country (apparently 1995 is classic now?)
99.7 - Texas/Red Dirt Country and Classics, if you're on the North side, or the clouds are just right
100.3 - newly embraced embarrassing excuse for Nashville country

740 AM - Michael Berry
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
Boom 92 is jamming old school this morning

Pretty baller mix
lancevance
Yeah all those songs i was tired of listening to in 1997 are back again.
Linz02Ag
AG
Love this station. Old school jams all day err day.
OnlyForNow
AG
I was gonna say the same thing. I got in my truck this morning and Power Up was the first song that came on. Honestly liked everything but the "i got in a wreck so i'm gonna hire this lawyer to sue" commercial I heard. And it was only a 45 second commercial.
lancevance
Classical 91.7 was playing music from the 90s this morning.

1790s that it.
pasquale
AG
I didn't know people actually used the word urban
Post removed:
by user
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.