Houston
Sponsored by

Holy sewer charge on water bill Batman!!!

2,501 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by TefIon Don
Satellite of Love
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone else see a more than a 2X increase on their September water bill??? Mine normally held at 10.14 a month and all of the sudden jumped up to 25.10!

RTT any idea why there was a spike? Thanks.
The Wonderer
AG
Quit taking dumps.
CrossBowAg99
AG
Let me know If you need a loan. I can give you favorable terms.
Ryan the Temp
AG
Without seeing the bill, I can't provide any semblance of an explanation.
The Wonderer
AG
Serious question, was your water bill twice as high? Have people over more than normal during the month?
Ryan the Temp
AG
Just FYI - sewer charges are based on water consumption. It looks to me like you probably had consumption of 5-6K gallons.
option #2
AG
Isn't the sewer charge directly proportional to the amount of water you use? use more water...higher sewer charge.

Math is fun.
Satellite of Love
Wow. I didn't realize they were tied together. Time to layoff the Mesican Thai food. That stuff goes right through me! I will have to check the usage tonight.
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
Isn't the sewer charge directly proportional to the amount of water you use? use more water...higher sewer charge.

Math is fun.
Sewer charges are based on water consumption because it is not feasible to meter your sewage.
CrossBowAg99
AG
That is also why some people get a separate meter for irrigation because you don't have to pay the sewer fee for the irrigation meter
LostInLA07
AG
quote:
That is also why some people get a separate meter for irrigation because you don't have to pay the sewer fee for the irrigation meter

I didn't know this was possible. Do all municipalities and MUDs do this? And can you use the irrigation meter for filling your pool?
Ducks4brkfast
AG
quote:
quote:

I didn't know this was possible. Do all municipalities and MUDs do this? And can you use the irrigation meter for filling your pool?

If you're filling a pool, call the city and let them know and they might waive the sewage fees for the 25-35,000 gallons that month.
Ryan the Temp
AG
It's been a LONG time since I worked at Utility Customer Service, but I think they did away with the pool fill credit because if it has to be drained, it has to be drained into the sanitary sewer system.
The Wonderer
AG
quote:
It's been a LONG time since I worked at Utility Customer Service, but I think they did away with the pool fill credit because if it has to be drained, it has to be drained into the sanitary sewer system.
What if I drain it into my yard? What about if I drain it into my neighbors pool?
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
quote:
What if I drain it into my yard? What about if I drain it into my neighbors pool?
Poo-to-pool transfer would be fine. Draining that much water into your yard will most likely end up in the storm sewer system, which is not legal.
The Wonderer
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Poo-to-pool transfer would be fine. Draining that much water into your yard will most likely end up in the storm sewer system, which is not legal.
What if I promise to do it in stages so that it does not over saturate the yard? Maybe I also water my neighbors' yards as well.
Ryan the Temp
AG
There are environmental issues associated with discharging pool water.
The Wonderer
AG
quote:
There are environmental issues associated with discharging pool water.
Well poop.
Ryan the Temp
AG
I don't know enough about the environmental stuff to say how true that is, so I rely on what's in the codes.
TSW2012
AG
I don't know about how it is done where you are. In many places the actual usage of water is not measure each month like electricity. Using your past usage, and your neighbors, they estimate what your usage should be for that month. Then every 3 or so months they actually read the meter, and that months bill adjusts up or down such that your actual usage from the period of meter read to meter read matches your billed amount. This causes months that are higher or lower than you may expect.
schmendeler
AG
$25 water bill? That's cute.
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
$25 water bill? That's cute.
Yeah. Since I have a garage apartment, my property is considered commercial and my bill is never less than $45.

Houston has electronic transmitters on most meters that allow them to be read remotely. Some meters are even equipped as "smart" meters that can notify you if your consumption is unusual before you get slapped with a huge bill.
Aggiemike96
AG
quote:
Yeah. Since I have a f*****g drainage fee, my property is considered ass-rapeable and my bill is never less than $75.
FIFY.
Ryan the Temp
AG
My drainage fee is $3.18.
BarryProfit
I don't think I'd notice an increase of $15.
sawemoffshort07
AG
While on this topic, what all is involved (and cost) associated with adding a meter to a sprinkler system. During the dry months, the sprinkler system would account for 85%+ or water usage, and depending on cost, etc, it may be cost beneficial to add a meter to the sprinkler system...
Ryan the Temp
AG
You would have to get a new tap or a tee from your existing tap. Your costs would probably be between $500 and $1,000 to install it.
Ryan the Temp
AG
At appears you have a sewer-only account. You have municipal sewer but get your water from someone else, perhaps? Please see page 9 of this document:

http://edocs.publicworks.houstontx.gov/documents/divisions/resource/ucs/2014_water_rates.pdf

That is the only place I can find the number $25.10. The number $10.14 does not appear anywhere in either the 2014 or 2013 rates.
Worm01
AG
The City will only waive the sewer fee on filling a pool if it's the FIRST time the pool is filled, thus mot requiring draining.
TefIon Don
AG
My water bill is always right at 40/mo, and we really don't use that much water.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.