Houston
Sponsored by

Huge props to Jose Altuve

1,059 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by JSKolache
Satellite of Love
How long do you want to ignore this user?
He is the first Astro in franchise history to win a MLB batting title.

Management tried to bench him on Sunday to "protect" him but his will to play made them change their minds. He went 2 for 4 in the Astros loss and beat out Victor Martinez for the title. The dude is a player and I hope the teams ownership is smart to keep him playing for the Stros!
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Hope the little guy sticks around long enough to be part of a winning team.
88jrt06
AG
VERY classy move by Altuve.

Knocked the crap outta one of 'em, too. Most guys wouldn't risk a lifetime honor like that.

You gotta respect the hell out of that little imp!
Tom Hagen
AG
As soon as he is due a raise, he will be gone.
JFrench
AG
He's one of the better contact hitters I've ever seen and I love his effort. Really enjoy watching him play.

Luckily he'sunder contract for a while with two cheap options that are no brainers to pick up. I'd assume they'd negotiate again at some time over the life of the contract but if he wants to bail then we're going to get a ransom considering how little he'll be paid to his output---assuming he keeps it up.
Diggity
AG
we have him under contract through 2019 so I think we're OK.
FarmerJohn
AG
Altuve is a perfect example of the type of guy that was penalized by the steroids era. I don't think he makes a roster 5 years ago. Now his skill set stands out and he is an All-Star.
88jrt06
AG
Shortest guy ever to win the AL batting title.

"Listed" at 5-6". Ha. Maybe 5-5".

Just adds to the legend.

What an amazing year.
aTm2004
AG
quote:
The dude is a player and I hope the teams ownership is smart to keep him playing for the Stros!

Yeah right. The way they see it is "he has value," so they'll trade him for a has been and 2 prospects.
TP Ag '87
AG
quote:
quote:
The dude is a player and I hope the teams ownership is smart to keep him playing for the Stros!

Yeah right. The way they see it is "he has value," so they'll trade him for a has been and 2 prospects who we will never see play in Houston.

FIFY.
randy828
AG
Altuve! Great season for a class guy.

"He's one of the better contact hitters I've ever seen and I love his effort"

Perfect example was that game not long ago that the Stros had the hit and run call and he literally had to jump up to get his bat on the ball and he did it!

I love that he didn't sit to win the batting title. I respect the Tuve.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
Management tried to bench him on Sunday to "protect" him but his will to play made them change their minds. He went 2 for 4 in the Astros loss
and beat out Victor Martinez for the title.

In 1941, Ted Williams entered the last day of the season hitting .3995 and his manager told him the league office had said they were going to round it up to .400 if he wanted to sit out the final day of the year - at that point it had been 11 seasons since a .400 hitter, Bill Terry hit .401 in 1930.

Williams said that was friggin BS, played both ends of a double-header, went 6 for 8 and finished the year at .406.

88jrt06
AG
'96-

Good post. That crossed my mind, too.

Altuve may never have another chance at a batting title, but just like "The Splendid Splinter".....
JSKolache
AG
If only we could have watched the season....
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.