Houston
Sponsored by

RTT- Electric Permit

2,964 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Sasappis
sawemoffshort07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
RTT, I have a few breakers in my box that are on the way out. I am going to have an electrician check it out and price for fixing the breakers vs replacing the whole thing as it is older (maybe vintage to the house in the Greater Heights area). What kind of implications does this have as he mentioned something about a permit? For what work would I need a permit? How much does it cost? Lead time? PS- I am glad you made your return so there is someone knowledgeable on the board to bounce questions off of.
Ryan the Temp
AG
Here is the permit fee schedule:

http://edocs.publicworks.houstontx.gov/documents/divisions/planning/enforcement/2014_permit_fee_schedule.pdf
Goodest Poster
AG
Why would you pull a permit for replacing a breaker?
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
Because it's required. You know ... if you're going to be inviting inspectors over to look in your circuit panel and stuff.
TSW2012
AG
quote:
quote:
Because it's required. You know ... if you're going to be inviting inspectors over to look in your circuit panel and stuff.

You have to have a permit to replace a breaker? I understand if you are replacing the whole panel, at least in my mind a breaker is a consumable that will overtime need to be replaced.
Ryan the Temp
AG
Permits are even required for changing out receptacles and switches.
TSW2012
AG
quote:
Permits are even required for changing out receptacles and switches.
Lot Y Tailgate
AG
Not calling you out RTT, calling out the city: Where is it in writing that you need a permit/inspection on an outlet or switch or even breaker?
Ryan the Temp
AG
It's in the code.
redag06
OTL(un-incorporated)>>>>>>>>ITL
TSW2012
AG
On principle I disagree with this, obviously this is not the place to deal with that.

For clarification though, if I decided that I did not like the lights in my kitchen, and I go to home depot and buy a new fixture, I am supposed to get a permit before I install it?
Ryan the Temp
AG
Yes.
TSW2012
AG
Wow.

And from that doc that you linked to that would be subject to the $72.59 minimum electric fee?
Ryan the Temp
AG
Yes.
Post removed:
by user
Ryan the Temp
AG
Call 832-394-9000 and ask to speak with Electrical.
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
Isn't there a homeowners exception in the code? If you replace the light itself you wouldn't need a permit?
Not in the City of Houston.
sawemoffshort07
AG
So earlier I called Electrical. Guy I talked to said that to replace a breaker no permit is required but to replace the panel there is. From what RTT linked, you do need a permit for breakers, and outlets, switches, etc, etc.
Lot Y Tailgate
AG
Not making any reccomend action, but what he linked shows the fee to inspect it doesn't say it has to be.
Lot Y Tailgate
AG
If you think a breaker is bad replace it ASAP (in whichever way is legal in your jurisdiction) as it is what keeps your house from burning down.

Disclaimer, I may or may not work for the breaker company.
Goodest Poster
AG
RTT,
Why would I invite an inspector to look at a panel> Im sorry but this is just you toeing the line for a money-grab institution.

OP, hire a licensed contractor and have them replace it. The city doesn't need a cut.

As for "the code" argument. The code is written and re-written to extend the reach of the money grab. Technically, you need a permit to change out sheetrock- bs. Sometimes common sense needs to prevail.

The city has its place, this isn't it.
onceaggie
AG
Money grab so that gays get equal treatment in Houston
Lot Y Tailgate
AG
If the law says permit it and you get an electrician, you might as well diy in the eyes of the city.
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
RTT,
Why would I invite an inspector to look at a panel>
That is an excellent question. I mean, if you didn't invite the inspector over, he might not ever know you did any work at all.
quote:
Im sorry but this is just you toeing the line for a money-grab institution.
No, it's me asking you to ask yourself a reasonable question. You should pay attention more.
quote:
Technically, you need a permit to change out sheetrock- bs.
Not if you change it out one wall at a time.
quote:
The city has its place, this isn't it.
Funny ... any time something bad happens and someone dies or gets hurt, the first thing people start doing is pointing fingers at the City, wanting to know if everything was properly permitted and when it was last inspected.

Also, some really high-speed realtors check permit history and raise a fuss if there is work that was obviously not permitted.
Ryan the Temp
AG
One more thing - my personal opinion is that homeowners should be permitted to perform certain basic electrical work on their homes both with permits and without. However, that will require changes to State Law, which IBEW will vehemently oppose.
Texan76
There are plenty of electricians who will do it on the side.
Ryan the Temp
AG
State Law requires that a ME pull the permit in jurisdictions where permits are required.
Post removed:
by user
Ryan the Temp
AG
That would have been an excellent issue to bring up at City Council this week because they adopted the electrical code updates on Wednesday. I would encourage you to engage your City Council member on that issue if you feel strongly about it. It's not something I can drive from where I am.

I'm fairly certain your Council member would agree it is ridiculous to require a homeowner to purchase a $90 permit to change out a receptacle that costs $1.12.
Post removed:
by user
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.