Houston
Sponsored by

What's the deal with tow trucks?

2,929 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by AgKJ
AgKJ
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Over the past couple of weeks, I've passed a handful of wrecks in which only TWO vehicles were involved/affected. Yet there are always no fewer than 10 or so tow trucks lined up waiting for work. Why? When the police are ready for the vehicles to be moved, don't they just wave to the first two trucks in line? Why do the others hang around?
HouAggie
AG
Lottery
pilot
AG
Vultures.....
Panama Red
AG
Where did you live before you moved to Houston last week?
mustang6tee8
plowboy1065
S
quote:
Vultures...

My thoughts exactly. I've seen them speeding through school zones and practically causing wrecks to get to one. They all smell of cheap gas station cologne and can't wait to rip you off
Jack Cheese
AG
What's the deal with airplane food?
Skinny Wrinkles
AG
quote:
quote:
Vultures...

My thoughts exactly. I've seen them speeding through school zones and practically causing wrecks to get to one. They all smell of cheap gas station cologne and can't wait to rip you off

Yep.
The Original AG 76
AG
What's the deal with hemroids?
jetch17
AG
Post removed:
by user
aTm2004
AG
I got towed in midtown once and a HPD car drove up and asked if I drove the gray Nissan truck. When I told him I did, he told me where the tow truck driver was and how much to take him for him to drop it. I know he got a cut of it. And I went back later to see if I had parked in an illegal spot and I hadn't.
DustysLineup
AG
quote:
Vultures.....
ballchain
Linz02Ag
AG
quote:
Where did you live before you moved to Houston last week?
Forealdoe
Jack Cheese
AG
quote:
quote:
Vultures.....
THIS.

Had a power steering pump explode in 2007. Called a wrecker service to haul it to the dealership for repair. The dude offered to give us a ride to the in-laws(about five miles away) - which we ****** up and accepted. Happened on a wreck and he said he was going to take it. Dumped my wife and I out in the pouring rain at Westheimer and Beltway 8.

**** those scumbags.

Dude, that is effed up.
88jrt06
AG
Thought we put in a new (lottery?) system under Mayor White?

Guess that's worked as well as traffic light cameras and sequentially TIMING (Grrrr...) stoplights?

Abject failure.

I've had it. I'm going to take Commuter Rail instead.
gcracker13
AG
Passed two about twenty minutes ago out in Katy, literally racing to get to a wreck. Weaving in and out of traffic and cutting each other off.
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
I put them in the same class as apartment-complex managers. Fuggers would charge you an oxygen usage fee if they could, both of them.
Quantum ace
AG
quote:
Passed two about twenty minutes ago out in Katy, literally racing to get to a wreck. Weaving in and out of traffic and cutting each other off.

And the dewshnozzle cops don't give a crap about it.
Smee
quote:
Is there a more despised group of people?

Critical mass
Ezra Brooks
AG
quote:
Lowest form of life - only slightly below apartment leasing agents.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
quote:
quote:
To apartment leasing agents' credit, many of them are attractive females and every now-and-again, the end of the day tour ends with a "test drive" of the kitchen counter top, etc.
AgKJ
AG
I still don't understand why a dozen of them line up for a2-car accident. What chance to wreckers #3 through 12 have of getting a job?
ballchain
DustysLineup
AG
quote:
I still don't understand why a dozen of them line up for a2-car accident. What chance to wreckers #3 through 12 have of getting a job?

The vultures used to race each other to accident scenes trying to get there first, creating a more dangerous situation. So the city enforced a lottery system. Now, all of them sit there, blocking as much traffic as possible, waiting for a police officer to arrive and award the tows.
13wins
AG
There are few things I actually hate more than tow truck drivers. I watched one going probably 70mph in a 30 and busting through a red light yesterday.
Satellite of Love
A few weeks ago I was on N Post Oak just outside of 610 sitting at a red light. Next thing I see is a tow truck driver blow through the red light around me in the turn only lane. Thank God there were no cars coming or going across the intersection or he would have killed someone at his speed. Turned out there was a wreck two lights up at San Felipe. There were tow trucks already working the scene so I guess he didnt hang around. I was ready to get out and lay into the POS for what he did.
Buck O Five
AG
Saw a tow truck getting towed after hitting a police cruiser at Kirby and 59 a few years back.
Zeke1995
AG
quote:
quote:

Now, now. Some of the leasing chicks are hot.
runontexas
AG
******bags
BarryProfit
quote:
quote:

Critical mass
aTm2004
AG
quote:
Saw a tow truck getting towed after hitting a police cruiser at Kirby and 59 a few years back.

That makes me almost as happy as the time I witnessed a PTTS fatty let the 50cc engine in his scooter get the best of him and send him tumbling to the ground while the scooter shot off into the curb with all of the built up power it released when it no longer had the equivalent of a football team of midgets on it.
AgKJ
AG
quote:
quote:

The vultures used to race each other to accident scenes trying to get there first, creating a more dangerous situation. So the city enforced a lottery system. Now, all of them sit there, blocking as much traffic as possible, waiting for a police officer to arrive and award the tows.

Thanks for the thorough answer. I obviously missed that when it was implemented. What a pathetic "industry".
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.