Houston
Sponsored by

HPD officer fatally shot at 61 Riesner (City Jail)

11,474 Views | 100 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Lot Y Tailgate
Martin Q. Blank
How long do you want to ignore this user?
^broke the chain of newsflashes.

[This message has been edited by Martin Q. Blank (edited 8/22/2014 9:34a).]
Martin Q. Blank
dp

[This message has been edited by Martin Q. Blank (edited 8/22/2014 9:34a).]
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
he went ahead and did it anyway and was then unwilling to deal with the consequences and has now made his wife a widow and his kids fatherless.
There is a whole thread about suicide on Ags Only, but I suspect you're right in that he simply did not want to face the consequences of his actions. I think the penalty is 2-10 years, and he probably would have ended up getting the minimum and spend maybe a year and a day in prison. That's really not a long time. My dad spent three years in prison and looking back it was just a blip on the map of life, and I got to grow up with my dad being there for me.
Post removed:
by user
AMW2010
AG
What confuses me is when they talked about this cop that took his life, they were like yeah he was such a great guy, and all that we would have never expected that and so on... well obviously he had a guilty conscience and knew what was most likely ahead of him. I do feel bad for his family like you said, the kid wont have a dad... but the dad felt the need to do what he did, no one pulled that trigger for him
Ryan the Temp
AG
I don't know how the HPD pension is set up, but if it is similar to mine, my surviving spouse/dependents/beneficiary only receive benefits until the gross amount of my pension contributions is exhausted. IIRC, if I die before I retire, they get to cash out the gross amount (contributions only, no interest - That first $1.00 I contributed in 2004 is still only $1.00).

How that works is if I have contributed $50,000 but am still active, they get $50,000. If I have retired and received $25,000 in pension payments, they get $25,000. If I am retired and have received $50,000 or more in pension payments, they get nothing.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Anybody else now more interested in RTT's dad spending 3 years in the pokey?
Ryan the Temp
AG
He got drunk, got behind the wheel of a car, and somebody didn't go home that night.
Chester_Copperpot
http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/HPD-officer-jailed-on-drug-charges-5704353.php

Another HPD Officer falls. IAD wrecking shop this week.
BarryProfit
Dang, I've heard you mention that before RTT, never knew it was your pops. That must have been tough.
Ryan the Temp
AG
I was too young to understand it at the time, but I remember visiting every other weekend. It became part of our life's routine. From a family perspective, it can be whatever you make of it. Sure, you can't control what goes on on the other side of the glass booth, but my dad still got to be a part of our lives. It's not the end of world, and it's a shame this guy saw it that way. My guess is it probably would have been a little easier because he would likely be separated from the general population because he was a cop, but he created a permanent solution to assuage his fears.
Diggity
AG
AMW2010 = Jerry?

quick, someone do a search of his TexAgs post and see if he has ever used the word "hinky"

quote:
I immediately [knew] that something’s hinky with the ticket,” the man KHOU-TV only identified as Jerry said. There was no other officer, he was the only officer there.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/08/22/when-a-man-was-handed-a-speeding-ticket-he-noticed-something-fishy-now-an-alleged-scheme-has-been-uncovered/

[This message has been edited by Diggity (edited 8/22/2014 2:28p).]
agracer
AG
I still don't understand why these guys got overtime to appear in court AND write tickets. Something is seriously wrong that a public servant can set their own OT hours with obviously very little oversight.
RK
AG
I don't think the word "hinky" has been used since the Seinfeld episode.
AMW2010
AG
WHY ARE YOU TRYING TO BLOW MY COVER!
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
you have an ugly nose
DiskoTroop
Is it the same bastages that "protect and serve" the managed toll lanes all the time?
El Chupacabra
His kids are probably better off not having a thug criminal raise them. We celebrate when an armed robber gets shot and killed, this dirty cop was no different than an armed robber. Just using his gun and badge to steal from the public.
AMW2010
AG
And the plot thickens.... After doing some digging... Found out that the witnessing officer on my ticket was 6 miles down the road 1 minute later writing a lady a ticket...interesting. I have court Friday, will keep y'all updated.
KW02
AG
quote:
And the plot thickens.... After doing some digging... Found out that the witnessing officer on my ticket was 6 miles down the road 1 minute later writing a lady a ticket...interesting. I have court Friday, will keep y'all updated.
Keep us posted. I would guess your case may be dismissed.
AMW2010
AG
My guess would be this... Put the witnessing officer on the stand under oath, officer where were you at this time... He says with my officer... Then my attorney says well we have proof you were writing a ticket at this location at the same time...

Judge: case dismissed, you are free to go, bailiff, please detain the officer for lying under oath...

... That's the extreme I could see lol not sure if that could happen
agmatt06
AG
No way the witnessing cop shows up given what has gone down.
AMW2010
AG
Well here is an update...

It's nice the case got tossed, but I was hoping to take this case further and let justice be served... DA was instructed to toss any case related to the officers... And apparently my officer is being indicted ( hopefully the others too )

As others have said, play stupid games, win stupid prizes...

On a side note, this place is great for people watching!! I was looking for Sarah from Hot 95.7 " What you doin at the courthouse?"
BarryProfit
You should get a ticket from the city for listening to Hot 95.7.
AMW2010
AG
quote:
You should get a ticket from the city for listening to Hot 95.7.

I actually don't listen to 95.7 but I think their what you doing at the courthouse segment is pretty funny.

I listen to 104.1... The roula & Ryan show in the morning on the way to work and KSBJ and country during the day
Ag of Enlightenment
AG
quote:
Ryan, I wonder what happens with his pension and other benefits. Since he died before being fired or convicted I suspect the family will receive all of the benefits. If he had been convicted would he have lost his pension?

That could be a serious amount of money.

I believe his family will get nothing because it was a suicide.
I am a sheepdog. I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf.
Ryan the Temp
AG
His beneficiary will receive only the money he contributed to the pension system - dollar for dollar - without interest.
Ryan the Temp
AG
Houston Chronicle finally gets in on the action:
HPD probe may lead city to dismiss hundreds of tickets
quote:
Prosecutors are dismissing what could be hundreds of traffic tickets written by four Houston police officers under investigation for potentially falsifying citations, the latest scandal to hit the state's largest police force.

An internal affairs investigation was prompted by allegations that some officers who were listed as witnesses on traffic citations were not present when the violation or offense occurred, Chief Charles McClelland said Thursday. The Houston Police Department's investigation is now focusing on four officers who were recently relieved of duty.

Senior assistant city attorney Randy Zamora said Thursday that regardless of the HPD probe's outcome, the integrity of the tickets written by the officers was questioned, leading the city to dismiss the citations. Zamora, who heads the municipal prosecution section, said officials are still trying to determine an exact number of citations, but it could be hundreds.

AMW2010
AG
quote:
Houston Chronicle finally gets in on the action:
HPD probe may lead city to dismiss hundreds of tickets
quote:
Prosecutors are dismissing what could be hundreds of traffic tickets written by four Houston police officers under investigation for potentially falsifying citations, the latest scandal to hit the state's largest police force.

An internal affairs investigation was prompted by allegations that some officers who were listed as witnesses on traffic citations were not present when the violation or offense occurred, Chief Charles McClelland said Thursday. The Houston Police Department's investigation is now focusing on four officers who were recently relieved of duty.

Senior assistant city attorney Randy Zamora said Thursday that regardless of the HPD probe's outcome, the integrity of the tickets written by the officers was questioned, leading the city to dismiss the citations. Zamora, who heads the municipal prosecution section, said officials are still trying to determine an exact number of citations, but it could be hundreds.

#JUSTICE
Ryan the Temp
AG
Indictments handed down.
http://abc13.com/488585/
quote:
Three former Houston police officers are now indicted on charges following a ticket-writing scandal.

We've confirmed a grand jury indicted the officers Friday morning. Gregory Rosa, John Garcia and Robert Manzanales are all indicted for tampering with government documents. Manzales also has an additional charge of aggravated perjury.
AMW2010
AG
quote:
Indictments handed down.
http://abc13.com/488585/
quote:
Three former Houston police officers are now indicted on charges following a ticket-writing scandal.

We've confirmed a grand jury indicted the officers Friday morning. Gregory Rosa, John Garcia and Robert Manzanales are all indicted for tampering with government documents. Manzales also has an additional charge of aggravated perjury.

MY mom sent me this article earlier, I was like SWEET!! What I wouldn't give to testify against that *******!! Manzales put on my ticket I had a bad attitude and I'd love to help put him away!!
Lot Y Tailgate
AG
Just this week I was driving home down 10 and thought to myself "Hmm why aren't those speed traps here anymore?" Then remembered "OH **** that's what happened."

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.