Houston
Sponsored by

TxDOT and the Future of Downtown Highways

19,548 Views | 109 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Al Bula
FightinAggie07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I found this writeup on Reddit's Houston board today. Pretty interesting ideas in here that could have large impacts on the value of properties in Midtown/4th Ward, Rice Military, EaDo, etc.

http://offcite.org/2014/07/28/the-rebuilding-of-i-45-a-once-in-a-lifetime-opportunity-to-improve-houston

http://www.reddit.com/r/houston/comments/2c2ezr/the_rebuilding_of_i45_a_onceinalifetime/

[This message has been edited by FightinAggie07 (edited 7/30/2014 4:40p).]
redag06
Lets all go on vacation and shut down the city so this can be done ASAP!
Al Bula
AG

The Wonderer
AG
So they want to elevate part of the highway in a manner similar to Austin's I35?
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
we have the dumbest people possible planning our highway system.
Skinny Wrinkles
AG
quote:

I only hit traffic from the second I leave my driveway to my destination. Not sure what more you could ask for.
Dan Scott
AG
All of I-45 is terrible going north or south from downtown it takes your through the crap holes.
Ryan the Temp
AG
45 at grade where the Pierce Elevated is is ridiculous if for no other reason that the insane amount of money required just to purchase enough ROW to construct it.
CrossBowAg99
AG
The 45 at grade exhibit is showing it as an arterial with signals (ie Westheimer) and they will move the 45 freeway to the US 59 corridor

IMO, it will never happen but some dumb ass tree hugger went to a public meeting and thinks it would be cool to have a parkway where 45 is now so they have to study it.
Rubicante
AG
They need to make a two-level highway between I-10 and 59 on the West loop.
CrossBowAg99
AG
TxDOT is in the process of rebuilding the 610 South to 59 fiasco so that "should" help
ballchain
JJxvi
AG
There is no reason for downtown to be surrounded on all sides by freeway. The pierce elevated doesn't even have any exits or entrances so it wouldn't even make any difference to have those through lanes run concurrent with I-10 and 59 provided high capacity exit from 45 and 10 to west side of downtown remain as they are.

The only negative real negative is cost.
Bunbury
AG
quote:

Who should we get instead?
Panama Red
AG
Why are any of these improvements needed?

It's only a 30 minute commute from any house in every suburb to downtown.
BeefAg_00~
quote:
Why are any of these improvements needed?

It's only a 30 minute commute from any house in every suburb to downtown.

It is only a 30 minute drive for me to downtown from the Spring area.
CrossBowAg99
AG
quote:
There is no reason for downtown to be surrounded on all sides by freeway. The pierce elevated doesn't even have any exits or entrances so it wouldn't even make any difference to have those through lanes run concurrent with I-10 and 59 provided high capacity exit from 45 and 10 to west side of downtown remain as they are.

The only negative real negative is cost.

Yeah becasue a section of freeway doesn't have an access point for a mile then it is really of no use. Tell that to the 213,000 cars that drive through there every day.

What about robbing from peter to pay paul. If your idea was even feasible, you would have to widen IH 10 to to accomodate the additonal IH 45 traffic. Imagine all of the neckbeards that would be complaining if you took out St Arnolds with a freeway widening.
JJxvi
AG
It is of no use as it concerns access to south downtown and midtown. It might as well go underground, over a giant skybridge, or through a magical portal you disappear into at Allen Parkway and reappear just before the 59 exits. It doesn't matter where the hell those lanes are, that's my point. Yes you'd have to widen I-10 and 59 to replace the lanes, and maybe that's not workable, but acting like I-45 must follow along Pierce street because "by gawd that's where its always been!" as some do (not you, you appear to just doubt the feasibility of the alternate route) is ridiculous.

I think removing the Peirce Elevated eyesore is enough a benefit that at least costs of rerouting should be looked into.
agnerd
AG
I'm still holding out hope that they will create a giant traffic circle of freeways around downtown to where all traffic is traveling counter-clockwise for instance. You could go from 4 lanes in each direction to about 12 total lanes in one direction. Each freeway would enter the traffic circle from the inside and exit on the outside. If you want to stay on a freeway through downtown you would just stay in your current lane.
MouthBQ98
AG
You know idiots trying to get over at the last minute would make that a titanic cluser****.
David Carr
I think this should be put on the back burner until we secure $500bln of taxpayer money to quickly and efficiently lay down a 1,000 miles of light rail and commuter rail all over metropolitan Houston so Houston can become a carless utopia.
JJxvi
AG
The computer in Logan's Run had a lot of good ideas, it just took things a little too far.
JJxvi
AG
If they did do this, it seems like their grand little Pierce Parkway with 12 lanes or whatever seems a bit excessive. They really should just sell off the ROW except for Pierce St to real estate developers and recoup some of the costs.
Al Bula
AG
In the news again...

I45 ass-raping plans

quote:
Downtown officials blame the Pierce for cutting off some areas of downtown, because the wide, elevated freeway acts as a barrier and his limited development around it.
JJxvi
AG
http://www.chron.com/news/transportation/article/I-45-moving-sinking-and-shifting-from-Pierce-6216991.php
JJxvi
AG
Damn you!
agnerd
AG
quote:
quote:
Downtown officials blame the Pierce for cutting off some areas of downtown, because the wide, elevated freeway acts as a barrier and his limited development around it.

This is the part I don't understand. It's not like the roads and sidewalks stop at the freeway. I consider downtown and midtown directly linked because all the streets pass under the freeway without interuption. Either people think differently than I do, or these officials are full of ****.
Waltonloads08
AG
they will have to do something, with population projections of 12-16 million mexic-ahem people in greater houston by 2050.

its going to be loco.
TriAg2010
AG
It's amazing how a park that Dallas built and named after a nine year old has imposed an extra feasibility study expense on any future urban highway project.
CrossBowAg99
AG
quote:
It's amazing how a park that Dallas built and named after a nine year old has imposed an extra feasibility study expense on any future urban highway project.
Do you hate nine year olds?
CrossBowAg99
AG
quote:
they will have to do something, with population projections of 12-16 million mexic-ahem people in greater houston by 2050.

its going to be loco.
And I still can't get a freaking decent breakfast taco in Pasadena

I want Laredo (Washington) spicy sausage but I keep getting told that the best are from the freaking Laredo in the Valero. ****ing rednecks
Scientific
AG
quote:

its going to be loco.
I think the Yanks from up north and Cali have contributed more.

Its only going to keep getting worse.
Waltonloads08
AG
quote:
quote:

its going to be loco.
I think the Yanks from up north and Cali have contributed more.

Its only going to keep getting worse.

in your neighborhood, yes probably. in all of greater houston, Carpetbaggers are but a fraction.

Mexico, Central America, South America. Plus, all the women arrive pregnant. I used to live near a safehouse where they kept "new" people for a couple weeks before moving them on. complained to HPD and the city weekly. They told me over and over there wasnt anything they could do.
BMX Bandit
Why didn't you call ICE?
Texan76
quote:
quote:

its going to be loco.
And I still can't get a freaking decent breakfast taco in Pasadena

I want Laredo (Washington) spicy sausage but I keep getting told that the best are from the freaking Laredo in the Valero. ****ing rednecks
Crushed two spicy sausages from Laredo this morning,
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.