Houston
Sponsored by

127 Vehicles Submerged in Houston Bayous

13,584 Views | 62 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by 1876er
AGeng25
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://www.click2houston.com/news/more-than-100vehicles-submerged-in-houston-bayous/25945396

quote:
Miller said in late 2011, while his Texas Equusearch teams were searching Brays, Sims and Buffalo bayous in Houston with a sonar-equipped boat, they made the surprising and accidental discovery of 127 cars, trucks and even what is believed to be an intact big rig.
Miller contends an unidentified Houston police detective in 2011 did not want to see sonar images of several sunken vehicles, or GPS coordinates of the finds, and the officer did not want Miller to share the information with anyone, he said.
"You know, it's kind of disturbing when the detective on the case said, 'Shut up. The city doesn't have the money to take them out and the community will go crazy,'" Miller said, recalling the conversation with a detective.
The Houston Police Department acknowledges a conversation took place between Miller and a member, or maybe members, of Houston's Dive Team.
"Our dive team spoke with Mr. Miller's sonar expert two years ago and looked at the images," said Victor Senties, a Houston Police Department spokesperson. "We knew about most of them and did follow up and investigated two of these vehicles. Keep in mind, most of them would break apart if you tried to get them out."
Miller advocates getting the vehicles out of the water without delay and believes his team can do it with air bladders that will lift the vehicles with minimal damage.
"The city is broke. We can do this at a fraction of the cost," Miller said.
Even at a fraction of the cost, Miller acknowledges the operation could be expensive, and the funding is not yet in place.
randy828
AG
I saw that news report the other night...and they have only searched a fraction of the water ways in Houston...so there are undoubtedly many more....wonder what they might find in some of those vehicles? Hoffa.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I would have to agree with the detective. Hopefully my tax dollars won't be used to clean up the bottom of the bayou. If the cars are creating a drainage issue, that's another story, but if it is simply getting them out of the bayou to satisfy some morons, then let them rot down there.
Bighamp03
AG
Sounds like them bodies in the low rises. Houston=Baltimore.

Lester will figure it out.
Lady Gaga
I wouldn't mind a few of my tax dollars going to this. Might solve some cold cases and they might find some interesting ****. Plus its better than the metro trainwreck or mayor levee's tranny ordinances
RK
AG
I don't care about pulling the cars up...but wouldn't mind having dive teams check for remains, etc.
El Mero Guero
Thoed
Westicles
AG
GDit I love Houston!
Stan Crowch
AG
An interactive map...

http://swamplot.com/your-treasure-map-to-100-plus-cars-and-trucks-rusting-in-sims-and-brays-bayous/2014-05-14/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+swamplot+%28Swamplot%3A+Houston%27s+Real+Estate+Landscape%29
Ducks4brkfast
AG
I wouldn't pull each one out for the sake of it.

I would like to run each VIN to determine if there's any connection to a "major" crime, i.e., murder, etc.

Let's the police make a case-by-case determination which to pull out for further investigation.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Reminds me of HPD's position on the Heights serial killer back in the 70s.

What? 20+ teenage boys missing from a couple square miles.... meh. Probably just runaways, besides we don't want to upset the residents.

I've read articles where people suspect there may be more Dean Corll victims buried in the Heights around 24th street. Some say that additional victims were buried in the dunes in the Bolivar/Galveston area and the authorities took the position that enough was enough and stopped looking.

[This message has been edited by Stat Monitor Repairman (edited 5/14/2014 11:19a).]
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
I doubt there are many volunteers wanting to get in those bayous. I am willing to wager that there are at least a handful of dead hookers in that area of the bayous too
Westicles
AG
quote:
I doubt there are many volunteers wanting to get in those bayous. I am willing to wager that there are at least a handful of dead hookers in that area of the bayous too

I can think of at least 3 off the top of my head.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
quote:
quote:

I can think of at least 3 off the top of my head.

You're forgetting Kristyl.
whiteman
quote:
I wouldn't pull each one out for the sake of it.

I would like to run each VIN to determine if there's any connection to a "major" crime, i.e., murder, etc.

Let's the police make a case-by-case determination which to pull out for further investigation.

I'd imagine with all the mud and debris settlement, near zero visibility and some of these cars being upside down it might require removing them just to get that info.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
quote:

you mean KrYsTaL?
ChipFTAC01
AG
quote:
I've read articles where people suspect there may be more Dean Corll victims buried in the Heights around 24th street. Some say that additional victims were buried in the dunes in the Bolivar/Galveston area and the authorities took the position that enough was enough and stopped looking.

Why 24th?
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
quote:
quote:

you mean KrYsTaL?

Just picked random hooker name, but I suppose that works too.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Seem to recall that Corll's family ran a candy factory somewhere in that area during the time most of the killings took place.
ChipFTAC01
AG
It was on 22nd. Over near Helms
Funky Winkerbean
AG
What the article didn't mention was the $30 million that was just put into the foundation that looks after the bayous. Miller is raising this stink so he can capture a piece of that pie.
CrossBowAg99
AG
Miller's daughter was murdered so he started equusearch. I am sure he is in it for the money. You should have been a detective.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
quote:
Miller's daughter was murdered so he started equusearch. I am sure he is in it for the money. You should have been a detective.

You saying he can't be stuffing his pockets because of why he started his business?

[This message has been edited by Troutslime (edited 5/15/2014 4:22a).]
DrZ
AG
"Probably just runaways, besides we don't want to upset the residents."

In the 70s the last thing they cared about was the opinion of the neighborhood. It was a dump. Most of the kids they found had not even been reported missing by the families.

agnerd
AG
I'm surprised the tree huggers aren't all over this. All those decomposing vehicles leaking gasoline, oil, anitfreeze, etc into bayous that people fish out of and that directly feeds Galveston Bay and the shrimpers is a much bigger environmental problem than spilling a few barrels of oil 100 miles out in the ocean.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
so Equisearch dude does all the work and now wants to be paid for it instead of the city awarding it to their cronies? Seems ok to me.

[This message has been edited by Ferris Wheel Allstar (edited 5/15/2014 10:24a).]
Satellite of Love
A lot of those on the map are in the barrio. I bet they'll find pedro and his buddies from some bad drug dealings. Thoed!
1208HawkTree
AG
quote:
An interactive map...

http://swamplot.com/your-treasure-map-to-100-plus-cars-and-trucks-rusting-in-sims-and-brays-bayous/2014-05-14/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+swamplot+%28Swamplot%3A+Houston%27s+Real+Estate+Landscape%29

Coincidence that a large concentration of them are right next to a cemetery?
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
quote:
I'm surprised the tree huggers aren't all over this. All those decomposing vehicles leaking gasoline, oil, anitfreeze, etc into bayous that people fish out of and that directly feeds Galveston Bay and the shrimpers is a much bigger environmental problem than spilling a few barrels of oil 100 miles out in the ocean.

Tree huggers only go after easy targets. The closest they'll get to asking questions in the barrio is asking for vegetarian options at Spanish Flower.
Seven Psycho Ags
Is it the Bayou Harbor Butcher?
Quantum ace
AG
quote:
Miller contends an unidentified Houston police detective in 2011 did not want to see sonar images of several sunken vehicles, or GPS coordinates of the finds, and the officer did not want Miller to share the information with anyone, he said.

Anyone think HPD might not want some of those cars disturbed for a good reason? There is a good chance they went through a few of those cars before they went in the bayou.
yakman
quote:
The city is broke.

Someone hasn't looked at their HCAD tax bill yet.
johnrth
Dang, Detroit is bankrupt yet their police force is pulling cars out of the river starting investigations on them.. http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/us/2014/05/22/mi-dnt-police-fish-for-cars-in-river.wdiv.html
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Update since it's been back in the news.

http://www.click2houston.com/news/new-hunt-shows-more-vehicles-under-houston-bayous/31074798

quote:
Tuesday morning, City Council member Michael Kubosh and Tim Miller of EquuSearch hopped on a boat to tour the murky waters of Brays Bayou. Over the course of three hours, they used sonar equipment to locate the cars under water. They spotted 60 to 80 vehicles. "Some of them were old and some of them were ones we never saw before," Miller said.

EquuSearch says it has uncovered at least 127 cars in the bayous, and Kubosh, along with Mayor Annise Parker, have both shown their support for getting them out of the water. "The time is now," Kubosh said. "Let's get it done. The sooner the better."

quote:
But not everyone is on board with the idea of removing the cars, including Houston Police Chief Charles McClelland.

"I don't believe we're going to find any bodies and I don't believe we're going to solve any more crimes," McClelland said.

Translation: the Chief has no interest in getting into how all those cars got there, or having to potentially reopen old, ignored cases.

Wonder how many divers have been sent into the poo rivers for clean up work while this story drags on.

Ryan the Temp
AG
The explanation I've heard is that every car that gets pulled out will require an investigation and HPD doesn't have the manpower to take on 127 new investigations at one time if they turn out to be more than just dumped stolen cars.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.