Houston
Sponsored by

Kids r Kids vs Sienna Primrose (Sienna Plantation)

11,937 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by KW02
POW
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife is currently staying at home but starting to apply for jobs. We aren't in an immediate rush for her to start working but if the right opportunity presents itself we want to be ready. We currently have a 4 month old daughter. We live just outside of Sienna and from a quick look in the area these two would probably be our best options for daycare.

Can anyone comment on either of them? Price, demographics, pros & cons, atmosphere, teachers, etc...

Any other centers to look into around the area? Any in-home daycare options?

TIA.
yakman
Get on the Sienna Women's Group yahoo board to find out who does it out of their home.
POW
AG
Thanks, I will have to look into that.
Mr. McGibblets
AG
All Kids r Kids is a day care base. Nothing more, nothing less. If you want your child to learn and be ready for Kindergarten, then you need to look at curriculum based schools. Primrose is all a curriculum school with a daily schedule to promote learning and social skills. My son has been in a Primrose since 6 months old and he goes to Kindergarten this August. Having him there has been the best decision we have made due to his learning skills and social skills. I believe they are very close in cost. Just my 2cents.

[This message has been edited by Mr. McGibblets (edited 3/5/2014 2:02p).]
lereag02
We have twins on the way and shopped both Kids R Kids and Primrose. Im pretty sure Kids r Kids has a cirriculum as well, not just a day care.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
All Kids r Kids is a day care base. Nothing more, nothing less.

Not sure where you're getting that. We looked at both on the Upper East Side and the curriculum was pretty much identical. Went with KrK based on recs from friends & neighbors.
Mr. McGibblets
AG
When we toured both facilities we asked and they said it was activity based as opposed to Primrose which was curriculum base. KrK also has a higher kid to teacher ratio than Primrose as well as all teachers at Primrose must have a degree and/or CDA certification. That's not the case at KrK. Just look at the two when you do a walk through. You see a lot of swinging chairs in the infant rooms at KrK and none at Primrose.

C.C. Bay Ag
AG
My one year old is at Kids R Kids in Sienna. We have no complaints. Their website says the curriculum is in alignment with Fort Bend ISD...whatever that means. Right now, I could give two ****$ about the curriculum. In a couple years I'll be more focused/worried about the curriculum and kindergarten prep. But for now, it's clean, safe and we like the teachers.

My main goal in life is to find a beer as cold as a woman's heart
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
KrK also has a higher kid to teacher ratio than Primrose as well as all teachers at Primrose must have a degree and/or CDA certification.

KrK has the same requirements. At least the owners of the one's up here. There may be flexibility on this left up to franchise owners.
CrossBowAg99
AG
Daycare fight!
POW
AG
I appreciate all the responses so far. We are looking forward to checking out both. At first we were a little worried about commercial daycare & at one point even interviewed with an in-home lady but I have heard some good things about the child development in commercial centers.

Is anyone willing to comment on what they pay for both Kids r Kids &/or Primrose?

Thanks!
Mr. McGibblets
AG
Infant- $240 a week but that was 4.5 years ago
Pre-Kindergarten- $205 a week
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Infant at KRK was like $240 or $250/wk 3.5 years ago. We're at like $200-$210/wk now I think.
POW
AG
Okay, thanks. When we interviewed with an in-home lady her rate was $170 a week. If you break that down to 10 hrs a day, 5 days a week you get a whopping $3.40 an hr... What a steal!
Ducks4brkfast
AG
A nanny for $170/week is unheard of.
12f Mane
AG
Is her last name Tata?

I do KRK and have never had issues. They learn plenty, have a good teacher-student ratio, and cameras in every room that are internet accessible.
bullard21k
AG
Kids R Kids has made a living off being cirriulum based. They were one of the first day care franchises to implement an actual learning and cirriculum foundation. Not sure who told you that other info but that is incorrect.

[This message has been edited by bullard21k (edited 3/6/2014 10:04a).]
POW
AG
She wasn't a "nanny" but she ran an in-home daycare out of her house. I believe she only took up to six kids at a time. We met with her when my wife was pregnant and she said $170 was a pretty standard rate for in-home daycare. Even $250 a week at Primrose or KrK broken down sounds like a steal for 5 days a week @ 10 hours per day. That is only $5 an hour.
yakman
quote:
I believe she only took up to six kids at a time.

I believe that limit is state law. If it was Ms Melissa she is great and our kids loved her.
agdx88
AG
I'd say you can't go wrong with either one. My kids did KrK as we just felt more comfortable with team there.

Not sure on exact pricing, but they were comparable. Competition does that. It is more expensive for the younger kids ($240-$250 sounds about right) and drops $5 or $10 per week as the kid gets older and ratios change. Also 10% discount on second child, etc. Owner of KrK is very nice.

Check them out and go with your gut. I doubt you can go wrong. If you not happy it easy to cahnge.
SJEAg
AG
The KRK streaming cameras are addicting...for awhile it was a fixture on my 2nd monitor at work.
Ezra Brooks
AG
Quality will most certainly vary by facility.

When we first moved to Kingwood, we sent our then 10 month old to KrK based on a recommendation from some friends whose kids were at a different KrK (I believe they were at the same one as Finn's mentioned above).

Can't really describe why, but we just weren't comformtable there, so we moved to Primrose after just 3 weeks.

We stayed with Primrose for 3 more years and 1 more kid and were really happy with them and what our kids were learning.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
I really don't think you'd go wrong with either one. Neither are remotely the sort of places which give day care a bum rap.

It's all about the people working there and who you feel most comfortable with.
POW
AG
We finally got around to touring both facilities yesterday...

My overall thoughts (regarding the Sienna locations) is that the Kids R Kids blew Primrose out of the water but we would be happy with both.

Unfortunately, Kids R Kids told us there probably won't be an available spot until our daughter is 18 months (she is 5 months now). Primrose told us that they have a couple openings right now.

We got a better vibe from the KrK's workers & the facility in general than Primrose. KrK's having the online streaming available is a huge plus as well, Primrose does not allow cameras in any of their facilities but they made an extra point to tell us they have an open-door policy at all times of the day.

Pricing for newborn/infant was $250 a week at Primrose vs $240 a week at KrK.

Ultimately, we would feel comfortable with either program but it was pretty obvious, at least in Sienna, that KrK is the preferred daycare between the two.
Bassmaster
AG
I don't think there is any question that it varies based on location/owners. My son is 2 1/2 and has been at KRK since he was three months. We have been satisfied, but recently have started feeling like he's not getting what he needs. That feeling has coincided with a really high teacher turnover and an overall lack of consistency in structure, care, and curriculum. Primrose (and more recently Children's Learning Adventure) opened up in our subdivision nearly a year ago and we went and visited recently. We instantly felt more comfortable there and could visibly see a difference in what was going on in the classrooms. We ultimately decided that we are going to move our son to Primrose along with our baby when he is born here in a few weeks. I think the only thing that we will miss are the cameras, but as you'll see, that becomes less important the older they get. I used to check the cameras all the time when my son was an infant, but I may check them once a day now. You have to do what feels best for your family. I would encourage you to continue to check out other options as they arise. Things can definitely change.
POW
AG
So we are set to start our daughter at Primrose next week & so far Primrose has been great with all the paperwork & holding our spot. They even waived the $100 registration fee.

But.....

I see there is a "Goddard School" opening up near one of the Sienna entrances as well & so we may look into it just to compare our options. I don't believe it'll open till later this summer but wondering if anyone has any reviews/experiences with The Goddard School?

TIA.
KW02
AG
Anyone provide an update to the various places out in Sienna?

Lighthouse, Primrose, KrK, Goddard School, Montessori??
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.