Houston
Sponsored by

Comcast and Houston Astros question

5,051 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Skinny Wrinkles
ncttc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I live in College Station and I am a big Astros fan. My wife bought me the MLB package on Direct TV last year so I could watch them. Needless to say, we did not realize that Comcast had exclusive rights to 156 of the 162 games, and I did not even get to see them. Is it going to be the same this year? Is there a way I can get Comcast? Direct TV and Suddenlink cable do not offer it. TIA
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Nobody wants Comcrap, just sometimes you get stuck with it.
Texaggie7nine
I didn't know CS was in the blackout region for Houston on MLB TV.

cajunaggie08
AG
If you live in CS, you have no way of watching the astros right now until another carrier picks up CSN. Since you live in the Astros tv market, all of their games are blacked out on extra innings and mlb.tv. Its a pretty ****ty situation for any astros fan who doesn't have comcast as their cable provider.
cajunaggie08
AG
All of Texas is in the blackout region. The Astros and Rangers "share" Texas, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Arkansas and Louisiana as their market hence why the Astros and Comcast are pushing hard for CSN to be on in the region. I lived in Ft. Worth for a year back when the astros were good and wanted to watch them on MLB.TV but was pretty sad to find out that the games were blacked out.

[This message has been edited by cajunaggie08 (edited 1/22/2014 2:49p).]
ncttc
Are there any negotiations going on? Is there any glimmer of hope that MLB will get rights to show them? I am guessing it is a money thing.
cajunaggie08
AG
CSN filed bankruptcy a few months back, but jim crane and the astros are moving to block that as they feel it is a move to remove their veto power or something like that. It is currently going through the court system whether CSN can go bankrupt or not. Until then, no real negotiations will happen. The Astros want a top deal made to cover the 5 state region as baseball teams make a large percentage of income through individual tv deals, while the rockets just want to be on in Houston and are willing to take any deal to make that happen. Even if deals get made, you would need either your local cable provider, directv, or dish to pick it up. The astros and rangers will never be on the extra innings package or mlb.tv in College Station as any local team in prohibited from coming on that package as mlb wants to protect the regional broadcast rights.

[This message has been edited by cajunaggie08 (edited 1/22/2014 3:58p).]
Ag_07
AG
The Astros did however give up their spot as lead negotiator. Negotiations are now being lead by the Rockets. So I guess that's news.
. . .
ncttc
Thanks for the info everyone! Don't think I will get the extra inning package this year. Does the owner of the Astros realize how many fans he is losing because he is so greedy? At this point, I would want as many people watching my team as possible. Maybe I am reading this wrong, but it seems that the owner wants to be paid well for us to see our Astros?
Ag_07
AG
It does suck right now but honestly you don't watch this team. And as someone said in MLB the tv money is so important it's essential they get a good deal.

You rather miss them now and get the extra money than watch this crap and miss out on it.
cajunaggie08
AG
Not only is Crane moving to block the bankruptcy filing, he has sued Comcast/NBCUniversal and Drayton McLane for fraud, misrepresentation and conspiracy. Crane alleges that McLane fraudulently boosted the value of the network by false representing the subscription fees that providers would pay. The lawsuit says McLane knew these rates were "too high and that other distributors would not agree to pay the rate."

As much as Astros fan would like to Crane is just a safe keeper of our team, it is his property and it us up to him to ensure that it is profitable as his money is at stake. A bad tv deal could stick for a long time and hurt the club in the long run. Just look at the Big 12 for example. It made many bad tv deals that cost it millions of dollars and schools left for greener pastures.
cajunaggie08
AG
Double post

[This message has been edited by cajunaggie08 (edited 1/23/2014 9:05a).]

[This message has been edited by cajunaggie08 (edited 1/23/2014 9:05a).]
UTex09
People watch the Astros?
UTex09
Dp

[This message has been edited by Utex09 (edited 1/23/2014 12:02p).]
CowtownAg06
AG
I think you can look into getting MLB.TV then using a proxy server to make it look like you are located in another state. This gets around the blackouts. I've never done it myself, but looked into it while trying to get Rangers games in Houston back in '06. Then I found DirecTV and my problems were solved.

Really feel for Astros fans right now. I would be livid.
byfLuger41
AG
I switched from Suddenlink to Consolidated a few weeks back. Mainly did it to cut my monthly bill a little, but CSN was a nice perk.

Been watching the Rockets ever since. Really looking forward to the MLB season.
aTm2004
AG
My BIL lives in Philly and had the MLB package so he could watch the Astros, but couldn't get any Phillies games due to the same crap we're dealing with.
. . .
1876er
AG
quote:
Really feel for Astros fans right now. I would be livid.

Its the Rockets fans that are hurting. Nobody cares to watch the worst team in baseball, no matter how loyal. The Rockets have an exciting team that most of their fans can't watch.
BarryProfit
Stros won't be worst team in baseball this year.

[This message has been edited by Barryprofit (edited 2/4/2014 8:12p).]
ncttc
Any new info on the Astros and Comcast?
cajunaggie08
AG
Nothing new on the viewer front. Comcast and Rockets want the network to still exist and go through bankruptcy protection while the Astros want the network to dissolve and shop for a new network carrier. The network's current fate rests in the courts hands. Until it gets out of the judicial process, I wouldn't expect any new carriers to come pick up the network. I would not expect the Astros to be on tv at all in College Station in 2014 with the exception of the games against the Rangers which will be on the Rangers tv broadcast on Fox Sports SW.
07ag
AG
quote:
People watch the Astros?

Nope

http://mlb.si.com/2013/09/23/houston-astros-nielsen-rating/
ncttc
Thanks Cajun.
BMX Bandit
Chronicle:

AT&T and DirecTV Sports Networks apparently will become the sole owners of the network now known as Comcast SportsNet Houston under a plan of reorganization filed late Wednesday night with federal bankruptcy court.
cone
AG
4 AM updates like these are why I keep coming back to this website
anaggieshusband
Hopefully, I'll get to see the Astros win their 63rd game in late September!
MAROON
AG
AT&T and Direct Sports customers will see the Astros/Rockets and everyone else will be shut out?
kelkel25
UVerse ftw
cajunaggie08
AG
the article says it looks like the network will still be carried on comcast based on the carriage deal that has already been signed. When that deal expires, things could get interesting for comcast subscribers.
Al Bula
AG
Radio folks this morning said this will likely be games only, none of the Comcast production like Sports Central will be broadcast. I just wanna be able to watch the Astros. Despite being a bad team, there have been some exciting moments at the ballpark this year.
InnerCityAg
Any idea when directv will start airing games? Are we talking some point this season?
Clavell
AG
They said Comcast still can and plans to make counter offer so expect still month or more away before any moving forward.
Texaggie7nine
Go Comcast! I hope it stays with CSN.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.