Houston
Sponsored by

Comcast - XFINITY X1 Platform

16,837 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by StillNotAnAggie
beargrad22
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Caught wind that Comcast's new X1 platform will be hitting the Houston market next month. After googling a bit, it looks like this was recently launched in a few east coast markets. About damn time they've made an upgrade to their product. Not going to lie - looks pretty sleek:

youtube.com/watch?v=5t5jBa1vTn0 (*edit for better demo link)

youtube.com/watch?v=LF0yQTqh7gM

Best part - no price increase for existing subscribers (again - per articles I've come across).

As an advocate for their internet service - happy to see their video product is finally making progress...guess time will tell...

[This message has been edited by beargrad22 (edited 4/25/2013 7:53p).]

[This message has been edited by beargrad22 (edited 4/25/2013 7:53p).]
Simplebay
AG
How can I get it. When
beargrad22
I live north of town and saw this in The Woodlands' XFINITY Store - fully set-up for people to check it out. I believe existing triple play subscribers or new triple play subscribers will get it early if they specifically ask. I plan to go back within the next two weeks.
Shawdaddy
AG
I have got an appointment to have this installed next week (out in Katy). Only bad part is that you cant just go swap boxes at the store, a tech has to come do the install, to the tune of fifty bucks.
AgAttorney2010
AG
we have Uverse because they offer wireless dvr boxes. Will comcast offer this anytime soon??
REMtx
Hope they eventually release it for non-Triple Play customers. I like the interface a whole lot more than what they have now, but I'm not ponying up for a phone line that I won't use.
Undefined
AG
PSA... Comcast merged their Extreme 50 and Extreme 105 internet plans into Extreme 105 in Houston. If you were on Extreme 50, power cycle your modem to take advantage of the higher speeds.

[This message has been edited by Tibbles (edited 4/26/2013 1:28p).]
klsmith89
AG
I've always had, and have gotten used to, the Uverse system. I am moving next week and setting up service at a new residence.. is it worth making the switch to Xfinity? Or staying with Uverse? Anyone have any experience from switching over?
Simplebay
AG
just called them and upgraded. piss easy
Brother Mouzone
AG
quote:
Hope they eventually release it for non-Triple Play customers. I like the interface a whole lot more than what they have now, but I'm not ponying up for a phone line that I won't use.

This
Simplebay
AG
So. FYI....other than the installation fee....it cost me nothing

No contract, I got the sports package and the first HD DVR fee are included in the price. With the extra phone line that I don't use, it cost me nothing else per month.

Oh and with the deal they are currently offering 12months premium channels too.

So its $50 install fee for X1 and a year of premium channels. That's it.
Mucho austin
AG
quote:
quote:

This

I upgraded to the triple play from just having cable/Internet. Lowered my bill $10 a month. You should call and ask them about it.
Hugh Jass
AG
I too was a bit miffed to find that they wouldn't upgrade to the X1 service without having a Triple Play plan (I'm currently a Double Play customer with cable and internet only...I didn't want their phone service because we use Ooma for our home phone). However, after I dug into it a bit more, I found that Comcast will count their home security service toward the Triple Play package with no phone plan required. Does anyone here have experience with Comcast's home security service? Good? Bad? In between? I'm currently using ADT and I have to say that I haven't been all that impressed with them. By switching over to the Comcast security in their Triple Play bundle, I could conceivably save $25 to $30 per month compared to what I'm currently paying for ADT's monitoring and still get a higher tier in internet speed. I'm definitely going to see if Comcast can take over and tap into my existing security system equipment (DSC) and sensor wiring without having to do major upgrades across the board.

[This message has been edited by Hugh Jass (edited 4/28/2013 2:26p).]
Mucho austin
AG
I have xfinity home.

They can take over the existing sensors. Saves a TON of money.
Hugh Jass
AG
Mucho, how do you like Xfinity Home? And would you happen to know how it compares to other security monitoring services like ADT or Brinks? From the specs, it seems like Xfinity Home is a fairly comprehensive platform that will allow for expansion into full home automation.

I've got an consultation set up to have Comcast come out and take a look at my current system to see what would be involved in tapping into the existing setup to give me the same level of monitoring (fire/smoke, CO, security, etc.) I have now. I guess I just need to call ADT to see how much they're going to hit me for an early termination fee (I'm about one year into a two year contract)...
Mucho austin
AG
No problems with the system. We just got the basic setup. They came in and took over the existing system, added a motion detector.

I have the touch screen display thing that is pretty cool.

Can turn it on or off from my cell.

Have a car-key like clicker to set and unset from short range

If the didn't takeover the existing system it would have been about $40-60 (can't remember) per entry point to add their wireless sensors. I have about 20 entry points at my house.

Security cameras, mobile a/c and light controls are available but I did not add them.

ETF is pretty rough. 3 year contract. I think it's $20 per month left on contact if canceled. Not applicable if you move.

Cost: not really a concern to me as I work from home and my company pays for some of the security.
Mucho austin
AG
Also with the app, you can see which door was opened and when. Just in case you might be away and have kids
Shawdaddy
AG
Well, I had my appointment with Comcast yesterday to have the X1 installed. First thing the tech says to me when he walks in is "Man, I was looking at your home on my map, and the signal strength is pretty weak. I don't know if we will be able to install X1 here." And of course, I didn't have enough strength, and No, they couldn't install. He did say that he had been running into this problem a lot, but that if he added a signal amplifier it *might* work. Alright, lets try this! Oh wait, even though they have been running into this problem all week, and knew ahead of time that there was not much signal, Comcast will not let them carry spare amplifiers.

TLDR - Comcast couldn't install X1. Comcast sucks.
Simplebay
AG
Got mine installed yesterday. So far so good. Its as good as advertised.
Mucho austin
AG
What do they have to install?
StillNotAnAggie
Also, did it cost you $50 to get it installed?

That is what they are telling me on the phone.
Mucho austin
AG
Well crap...

Their next available setup time is may 23rd.

Geez
StillNotAnAggie
I had to talk to a supervisor but they gave me multiple options for the 10th if you want to call back and ask...
Shawdaddy
AG
Wanted to give an update:

Comcast came back out this past Saturday and got the X1 installed for me. It was a different tech, and he had not been left any of the instructions the last tech (who failed to complete the install) was going to leave for him.

The new tech managed to get me setup with no problems at all. Leads me to believe that the last guy was just lazy, and didn't want to do it.

At any rate, the new box is great. Very nice upgrade for Comcast users, and definitely worth the service fee to have it installed.
Max Feldt
Just called Comcast on May, 16 and was told I would not have someone out to my home till June, 12. 27 days for this new cable service common Comcast. I live in Houston texas the 4th largest city in the United States and you guy are not prepared, what else is new Comcast. One thing that I do want to see from the X1 platform is tv integration of the xfinity home system. Will post after the install.
BarryProfit
quote:
I too was a bit miffed to find that they wouldn't upgrade to the X1 service without having a Triple Play plan (I'm currently a Double Play customer with cable and internet only...I didn't want their phone service because we use Ooma for our home phone). However, after I dug into it a bit more, I found that Comcast will count their home security service toward the Triple Play package with no phone plan required. Does anyone here have experience with Comcast's home security service? Good? Bad? In between? I'm currently using ADT and I have to say that I haven't been all that impressed with them. By switching over to the Comcast security in their Triple Play bundle, I could conceivably save $25 to $30 per month compared to what I'm currently paying for ADT's monitoring and still get a higher tier in internet speed. I'm definitely going to see if Comcast can take over and tap into my existing security system equipment (DSC) and sensor wiring without having to do major upgrades across the board.

[This message has been edited by Hugh Jass (edited 4/28/2013 2:26p).]

I was in the same boat as you and made the switch with the home security as the third leg. It. Is. Awesome! So much better than my old ADT. Frankly until I watched the you tubes in this link the security system was my favorite part. I can't wait to upgrade to the new platform.
BarryProfit
I got the package with the cameras and I can see them in my phone when I'm away from home. Can also turn the AC up or down from my phone as well. Pretty cool.
Jack Klompus
AG
Scheduled to have this installed at my house on 5/24. Also adding another room. Will report back later. No problem getting it scheduled as others have reported.
SJEAg
AG
The alarm thing sounds kind of cool. Also on the double-play, but not sure if I want to spend a lot more than my basic Smith Thompson setup for an alarm. How much are yall spending to add the alarm with all the bells/whistles (both short and long term once their introductory rate ends)?
Hugh Jass
AG
Barry, I'm glad to hear that you successfully made the switch over from ADT! Did Comcast have any problems using your existing equipment and/or wiring?

I'm certainly interested in making the switch myself. In fact, I currently have Comcast scheduled to come out for the X-1 install and security system changeover around the first of June. But as one of the previous posters noted, I've since run into a bit of an issue with some pretty steep early termination fees on my contract with ADT. I haven't been all that pleased with ADT's service, especially considering that we've had several instances over the last year where their cellular connection to our system has dropped off and left us with no link to their monitoring center. Did you have an active contract with ADT when you made the switch or were you on a month-to-month basis at that point? I'm wondering if I have grounds to break my contract with ADT (or pay a reduced ETF) since they're technically not monitoring my property some finite portion of the time?
Jack Klompus
AG
I had xfinity x1 installed at my house last Friday. We were out of town over the weekend, so I didn't have a chance to use it until Monday night. Install was easy, the guy went up in the attic a little bit, put in the new box, and set it up. He told me to download a couple apps on my phone to have the remote and the guide on my iPhone to control the box and set recordings from my phone.

We had some issues with watching a show that is DVR'd but is still in progress. It seemed like there was a lag between pressing the buttons on the remote and the box actually starting doing what I tell it to do (i.e. I'd push fast forward through the commercials and then it would take it a while to start, then I would push play to start the show again and it would keep fast forwarding). We watched a recorded show from Monday night last night, and it worked fine. I feel like the picture is clearer, but it may be comparing me comparing this picture to my in-laws TV since we were there this past weekend.

They weren't able to install the second room in the location I wanted the TV, so we stuck with rabbit ears in the bedroom. They would have had to do a drop, and the installer said they weren't able to do that anymore because of liability and too many installers had fallen through the attic.

6/18/13 Edit: No longer having problems with the remote and the delayed response mentioned before. Perhaps I was not pointing at the right spot or something.

[This message has been edited by Jack Klompus (edited 6/18/2013 11:06a).]
Max Feldt
UPDATE 6/11/2013 so my appointment is tomorrow and can wait to get my hand on the X1 platform for the first time tomorrow, NOT!!! Just called Comcast to confirm my appointment so I don't have to talk to the automated system. Was asked for my account number, I looked it up on my iPad because I don't know it by heart. After giving her my account number and verifying all of my other credentials, she tells me I'm all good to go. I then look down at my account information and my appointment has magically moved to 7/2/2013, WTF what just happened in the last five seconds. She looks on her end and tells me that it has just changed. So she transfers me back to the US from the other side of the world. Nobody can offer me any explanation for why it disappeared and rescheduled itself magically. If the appointment was cancelled and rescheduled less than five minuets ago why is the open spot still not there, because there is no way that Comcast schedule that fast. TRUST ME. So now I have to wait 22 more day on top of the 27 day I've already waited for X1 to be installed for a grand total of 49, if Comcast can't straighten this out. REALLY PISSED OFF. I've had so many problems that I have the local dispatch center phone number so I will call them! Will post in about 22 days if not sooner, that is if Comcast can get someone out to my house SOON!!!......
BarryProfit
That sucks. I called on a saturday and got an appt for the upgrade on the following Thursday. New platform is soooooooo much better, even as a long time directv guy I think it's better than directv.
Hugh Jass
AG
We got our X1 platform installed last week and so far, the cable service is working great. It is most definitely an upgrade over the older set top box (STB) interface. And the picture, particularly for the HD channels, appears to be noticeably sharper than with the previous system.

The only problem I've run into has been in integrating it into my home theater setup. I use a Universal Remote Control (URC brand) RF/IR remote with an IR repeater to control all of my AV equipment behind closed cabinet doors. I had it all working flawlessly with the previous Comcast STB (controlling everything, including the cable box, with one single remote), but I have not yet been able to get the newer X1 box to work consistently with my RF/IR remote and repeater. One of the underlying reasons may be that the remote control that ships with the new X1 platform (at least in the setup I got) uses RF to communicate with the STB. The Xfinity remote clearly has some IR capabilities because it can be programmed to control the TV, but some simple troubleshooting verified that it is definitely communicating with the STB via RF. These cable boxes are so new to the Comcast lineup that they don't yet have any reasonable form of technical documentation available for them (a user's manual would be nice!). I called their technical support and they were unable to answer any of my questions about advanced configurations or options for the STB (e.g. verifying if the STB is capable of working off IR instead of RF so I can use my URC remote with it, etc.).

Has anyone else encountered similar issues?
adamsbq06
AG
URC just updated their software
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.