Houston
Sponsored by

Free Press Summerfest

150,934 Views | 1093 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Clever&FunnyAg
Clever&FunnyAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Has anyone been? The lineups for the past 4 years have seemed to get better every year. I'm about to pull the trigger on some blind pre-sale passes and just have faith that the line up will be decent again.
Stan Crowch
AG
I think like one person has been before.
BarryProfit
Does it really matter? You'll be able to hang out side and get hammered regardless of how good the bands are.
Clever&FunnyAg
AG
stan, i lawl'd.

Yeah that's true. I bought tickets. pretty excited.
theBaum
AG
It's definitely worth the price (even if there's only a handful of musicians you really care about). If you can get past the scalding heat and the tainted granola stench from the hipster crowd, it's a pretty awesome weekend event.
RK
AG
quote:
You'll be able to hang out side and die of a heat stroke regardless of how good the bands are
North Mayne
AG
I am sure there is a common sense reason for this that I am missing, but why is it in June every year and not March, April or even May?
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
March: SXSW
Fall: ACL
May: People are still in school. If I'm right, FPSF has always been the first weekend after the last day of school, hence the "summer" part.

Having it in June doesn't present the overlap of artists that you would have if you were to stage it in March/Fall with the Austin events. Yet it's still a week before Bonnaroo so there is still a good chance to snag big name touring artists on the way there.

Either way, I hope everyone who bought a pass made sure it was a Fancy Pants pass. That **** saved my life last year.
North Mayne
AG
Good info, thank you my asian brother.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Word. But yeah, I love Summer Fest. Being able to walk or ride a bike to the grounds, get wasted, run into friends at every turn, and listen to good music with downtown in the background is awesome.

[This message has been edited by Head Ninja In Charge (edited 2/7/2013 2:55p).]
North Mayne
AG
Yeah, either the first or second year we walked several miles from my place to the venue, not realizing how big the event was and the wait to get in was like 2-3 hours. Then it seems I have always had random prior obligations that weekend. Hoping to make it out this year.

What's the water situation like? Do they check backpacks like ACL does?
MAS444
AG
Regarding the timing, I've heard that it has to do with other events, runs, etc. that have been around for longer that use the same park and/or Allen Pkway, Memorial, etc....which get precedent over a newer event like this. The longer its around, the better chance to move into a better calendar slot. Or so I've heard...
blinnboy83
Can't wait to see who they get this year. The lineup has definitely gotten better every year. As far as staying cool, last year they had that "Old Time Soda Fountain" place where you could buy a big metal mug. You paid like ten bucks on Saturday morning and got free refills of ICE water all weekend... i'd check that out if you didn't go fancy pants especially.
jbanda
AG
Bought my fancy pants ticket. Had a blast every year I've been. Hopefully will again this year.
wheelskjm
AG
I'm hoping a bachelor party gets moved so that I can go...
tamug90
as soon as i get some info regarding stuff, i'll forward it onto you. will be my 4th fpsf to work, and the event just seems to grow each year.

yes, i know there were huge lines last year and that'll be fixed. but get the fancy pants tix people. the cold blast of the a/c when its 100 outside is a good thing.

no scoop on who is playing.....but like i said in another thread, i'd like to see:

the black keys
tom petty
or the arcade fire headline it

bring in m83, bloc party, arctic monkeys, passion pit, ghostland, and whoever else. would love to see willie back as well.
cone
AG
i heard YES was going to be a headliner
jbanda
AG
I really enjoyed the Avett Brothers last year. It'd really be cool if somehow they could bring back Girl Talk.
GCRanger
AG
I'd like to see an older electronic acts like Prodigy, Underworld, Chemical Brothers, Faithless, Green Velvet, Coldcut, etc.

Or

Pendulum, Hot Chip, CSS, The 2 Bears,

or

Elbow, Bell X1, Delorentos,

or

Public Enemy, The Roots, De La Soul, etc.

I think they need to keep a good mix of new and old acts.
North Mayne
AG
Has Devin The Dude performed at FPSF before? I want to say I saw him on the flyer a yr or two ago but can't remember.
Guitarsoup
AG
VIP tickets are worth it. AC tents and short lines. Leave the heat to the smelly hippies without jobs.
tamug90
i'd also like to see the geto boyz get their act on. just for old time sake. public enemy was an amazing show to work at warehouse a few years back. **** was crazy. they'd be my sleeper pick to be thrown on the bill.

prodigy would be killer.

i think the arcade fire because they're releasing a new album this year. arctic monkeys i hear they are in dallas right around that weekend. believe they're touring with phoenix or the black keys, so that could be a big bill one of the nights.

wakarusa has string cheese incident that weekend along with sts9. if sts9 closed out stage two one night, that would be pretty dope. amazing lighting director. i think moby would be another good late night show on stage two because of the overall show he puts on.

[This message has been edited by tamug90 (edited 2/11/2013 6:54p).]
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
I need RiFF RAFF to be there this year.
SlackerAg
AG
Get the VIP tickets so you can go in the air-conditioned tents. Without it, you'll have a heat stroke.
Simplebay
AG
Isn't prodigy wayyyyy too big for FPSF?
Charlie Murphy
Prodigy to big for summerfest?
Diggity
AG
crap...I bought my tickets before I realized that the fancy pants upgrade was worth the cost.

Is there any way to upgrade later on?
Charlie Murphy
buy fancy pants, sell other tickets at a profit after prices go up
AggieChemE09
AG
My cousin is heavily involved in the planning, I will see what info I can get.
04aggiegirl
AG
Pls stop spreading the word on the Fancy Pants tix! Drink lines were long last year!
North Mayne
AG
HNIC, i thought you were jokin about Riff Raff (maybe you were), but looks like he definitely found his niche. I like that "Time" song.
cone
AG
rap game mrs. garrett
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Being serious. RiFF RAFF would be perfect for the thunder dome stage (if they bring it back).

If he isn't booked, call me Rap Game Deb Face.

[This message has been edited by Head Ninja In Charge (edited 2/12/2013 2:13p).]
GCRanger
AG
FPSF just posted a video from Postal Service. Possible hint at one of the bands coming this year. According to a comment on the post, PS is reuniting this Spring/Summer.
jbanda
AG
The Postal Service does look to be free around that time. Last European show in France on 5/21, then a show in NY on 6/14.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.