Metroplex
Sponsored by

Looking to have a root barrier installed

3 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by bert harbinson
Texas Ag Mom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We had a structural engineer inspect the movement in our foundation. He said it was most likely caused by 2 large live oaks in the front yard. His recommendation was to have a root barrier installed. Any experience w/this process? Referrals? We live in Coppell.
PlanoAg98
AG
Unless you have water running under your foundation, you should not have a problem. The roots will not continue under the house unless there is moisture there. I had the same thing happen at my house. I called out an arborist come out to make a quote on the root barrier. This is what he told me.
Texas Ag Mom
SE says these large trees suck any/all water up. Dries up the foundation despite the fact that we water our found. Shifting in found is 1.5" in the front of our house where the trees are. I guess just like everything else there will be differing opinions. Arborist vs engineer?????
Texas Ag Mom
PlanoAg98- you might like to read this. So far I have had an inspection by a foundation company, a structural engineer & now an arborist. SE & arborist both said either remove the trees or install a root barrier.

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/newsletters/hortupdate/hortupdate_archives/2002/mar02/art3mar.html
bert harbinson
AG
I had two large trees removed because of this and a problem with roots clogging the main drain to the sewer. These were not decades-old native trees but overgrown builder-planted ornamentals, so I don't miss them. Plus, now there are no leaves or acorns to deal with and the grass grows where it couldn't before. Root barriers might be a viable option, but I was glad to be rid of them altogether.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.