Metroplex
Sponsored by

Just moved to Richardson, suggestions on where to buy house, rent apartment

4,369 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by khaos288
wichoAggie06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I just moved to Richardson and need advise on where the good areas/neighborhoods are.

Currently my company will pay for housing so there is no issue/traffic to and from work.
I plan to buy a house or rent an apartment by end of year or beginning of next.
Are Plano and Frisco good options to search for new houses?

I'm looking for a house in the range of $300-350k.
powerbelly
AG
Need more info.

Do you have kids? Are schools a concern?

Would you rather be near restaurants, bars, etc or near work?

wichoAggie06
Married, one 4 y/o daughter, one dog.

I want to be close to work but good a good school district and neighborhood will take precedence over commute.

Jill
AG
Wylie.
chick79
AG
Check out Prairie Creek, Canyon Creek and Indian Reservation.
AgLaw
AG
quote:

Concur. Also, City of Dallas in Collin County is in Plano ISD. We used to live at Preston and Frankford. It's a great area with nice homes for young families.
AgLaw
AG
BTW - there is some really cool development going on in Richardson/Plano. Central has a couple of big projects. The State Farm project is great. City of Dallas/Collin County is a ten minute drive from Legacy.

The further north you can go in Richardosn, the more exiting things get, IMO.
HomeFinderCody
Sponsor
AG
I own a Real Estate Company locally and would love to talk. I've worked with many good Ags that frequent these boards. Feel free to call me on my cell of 972-365-0432 or email me at Cody@MyRobinsonTeam.com

Cody

Sponsor Message: Need real estate help in North Texas? Click Here to Save $500
ac04
murphy, wylie, sachse
BIMS O1
AG
Good luck finding a house in prairie creek for 350k (not likely unless a tear down). Canyon creek may be an option. Richardson heights also has some great older homes, some with decent sized lots. Why move 30-45 minutes from work, when there are good options 5-10 minutes from work?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TXAGFAN
AG
I don't know why you wouldn't live in Richardson, Wylie wouldn't be terrible though if you want something bigger. Commuting is a HUGE drag, don't go look in like W Plano or Frisco if you're on 75 in Richardson.
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
If you're looking to stay in Richardson schools, Bowie and Brentfield areas (far north Dallas) are nice.
milner07
Couple of things...

Definitely recommend HomeFinderCody no matter the location. Helped my wife and I into our current home in Heights Park.

You should also take a look at the Reservation and JJ Pearce neighborhoods (think east of Coit between Campbell and Arapaho) for your price range. From what I have seen and heard, it's a tight-nit neighborhood, kids go to the local school for the most part, etc.

And, Welcome to the neighborhood!

ChoppinDs40
AG
Friend from work lives in there a loves it. I rented a house in the area there after college.

Just be sure to go get fitted for your yarmulkes and temper your daughter's expectations of having a bat mitzvah.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Lots and lots of young families in Canyon/Prairie Creek, Brentfield/Bowie, and Lake Highlands areas. We just moved from the northeastern burbs (near Wylie) to Lake Highlands, and I wouldn't trade it.
CrawlingNo5
AG
McKinney. one more gd car on 75 southbound won't hurt
Texker
AG
quote:
Ditto. I am biased towards Canyon Creek but all the above mentioned neighborhoods are older but stabil areas in high demand.
FirefightAg
AG
Grew up in Richardson. I'd suggest Murphy
txwxman
quote:
I don't know why you wouldn't live in Richardson, Wylie wouldn't be terrible though if you want something bigger. Commuting is a HUGE drag, don't go look in like W Plano or Frisco if you're on 75 in Richardson.
Respectfully disagree. West Plano to Richardson is counterflow on Bush. Just stay further south in Plano, or the portion of north Dallas in PISD that another poster recommended. Good point re Frisco. Potentially nasty commute plus unhappy teachers with the recent school funding election.
Texker
AG
The bad news is Richardson is stable. The better news is Richardson is stable. If in Collin County you'll be in Plano ISD, if in Dallas County, Richardson ISD. You win either way.
TXAGFAN
AG
quote:
quote:
Respectfully disagree. West Plano to Richardson is counterflow on Bush. Just stay further south in Plano, or the portion of north Dallas in PISD that another poster recommended. Good point re Frisco. Potentially nasty commute plus unhappy teachers with the recent school funding election.

I don't feel very strongly about this, but that is still a commute to come from W Plano. Richardson has many nice areas and even the lower cost neighborhoods are still full of nice families and great homes. I don't necessarily agree with you there's "reverse flow" commute and it's a non-issue. It's a hike and who the hell knows what GB will be like in 5 years, 5-10 years ago George Bush seemed empty compared to today.

Everyone has different priorities. My family always lived close to my dad's work and I don't think it was ever a bad decision.

I mean, it's not like I'm telling him to live in Garland, err I mean Firewheel ;-)
culdeus
AG
Richardson pricing has gotten really high with State Farm in the area.

Canyon Creek Elem is still doable on ~350k, but PCE is not. Interior lots are going for $350 now in PCE and homes that I call half-scrapes are going for $425.

CCE has a little lower reputation, but from what I can gather is equally as good. For the money Aldridge (Plano) is probably the best value of the three and you get to skirt the Parkland tax which is a huge chunk of change.

Moving towards Bowie/Brentfield has some of the same issues, but mainly the inventory is so low there it's hard to even find a house to look at, let alone buy. I don't think Brent. will have many in the 350 range. Bowie/Mohawk maybe.

Also, while this gets some eyerolls you really need to consider not working with an agent, and getting to know a few people in the area. About half the houses in PCE sold last year FSBO without ever having a sign hit the yard. And that's not counting the huge chunk that went builder. It's getting more and more rare to see signs hit yards, you almost have to go door to door and sellers are finding they can get the deals they need without working or paying off a realtor. If you work with an agent and really find a nice deal, be prepared to pay your own agent out of pocket or get shut out if there are multiple offers.

This is really the time of year that houses move a little slower since school has started, you might find more signs in yards now. I know there are a few here and there for the moment.

akaggie05
AG
I'm in the Brentfield area and can confirm that it's gotten insane. For example, here's one of the only listings in my hood (NE quadrant of Hillcrest and Campbell). Sold 6-7 months ago for $340 and they've been screwing around with it up until last week when it hit the market for $599. Walked over to take a look during the open house yesterday and it's very nice inside, but still backs up to Campbell, has an alley running down one side, and a postage stamp backyard.

http://www.ebby.com/property/52838060/7150-canongate-drive-dallas-tx-75248
Ol Jock 99
AG
I'd be curious what it ends up selling for. They might get killed on that flip.
TXAGFAN
AG
That house is already down to $570k. Lots of undesirables about that house including only 2.5 bathrooms.
Gigem_94
AG
Canyon creek is excellent neighborhood and was selected as one of the best in the area recently. Older neighborhood with mature trees and yards and many remodeled homes and quite a few tear downs. Close knit community. Just stay on the Dallas county side / Richardson isd especially Prairie Creek Elementary (but the houses that feed that school are more expensive just for that reason). PISD side includes lots of less than stellar apartments and feeds into Plano Senior High which is not what it was 20 years ago (we send our kids to private school to avoid PISD). Less than five minutes to 75 and George bush.
Ag CPA
AG
quote:
W Plano to Richardson a big commute? Rookies...
Texker
AG
quote:
Canyon creek is excellent neighborhood and was selected as one of the best in the area recently. Older neighborhood with mature trees and yards and many remodeled homes and quite a few tear downs. Close knit community. Just stay on the Dallas county side / Richardson isd especially Prairie Creek Elementary (but the houses that feed that school are more expensive just for that reason). PISD side includes lots of less than stellar apartments and feeds into Plano Senior High which is not what it was 20 years ago (we send our kids to private school to avoid PISD). Less than five minutes to 75 and George bush.
Yes, stay away from the Collin County side as it's a ghetto of $400k plus homes in one of the best school districts in the state. The AP curriculum at Plano Senior is outstanding.

http://www.davedowns.com/best-high-schools-dallas.php

I went to RISD so am not slamming the district or the choice to put kids in private school. However, suggesting PISD should be avoided is laughable.

Post removed:
by user
khaos288
AG
Plano/Frisco is the worst market right now. We just moved out of there. Garland Firewheel area is super nice, and not super gougy yet.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.