Metroplex
Sponsored by

Insurance and roofing question

1,049 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by lightningcat12
AW 1880
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've got my check for a new roof and From what I can tell it is more than enough to get a new roof. I've called several companies asking for a bid. They all say they can't just give me a bid and want to see my insurance estimate. In my opinion, the fact that it is an insurance claim should have nothing to do with it. The deductible has already been deducted from the amount I have. Am I calling the wrong companies or just need to keep looking?
permabull
AG
Copp
Say you are cash pay. Roofers know insurance companies pay way more than the actual cost to roof a house, so if they think you are making a claim they will try and milk the insurance company for every penny they can
Comeby!
AG
They want to see what you got then take that and your deductible. If a company won't bid, move on.
blumpkin
AG
Usually they'll quote you at what you got from insurance minus the deductible if you let them put a sign in your yard. Home improvement board had a big thread on this being insurance fraud or not. But meh.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Head guy of the roofing company that is heavy in our old neighborhood is driving a brand new Ford F450 King Ranch.
AW 1880
AG
Found an old family friend who runs a roofing company and he's going to give me a bid. We were talking ballpark numbers on the going rate on roofing and his costs for labor on an average roof have gone from $40 per square before the spring storms to $90-100 per square. I'll update this thread as I get quotes if anyone is interested.
aggielostinETX
AG
quote:
Found an old family friend who runs a roofing company and he's going to give me a bid. We were talking ballpark numbers on the going rate on roofing and his costs for labor on an average roof have gone from $40 per square before the spring storms to $90-100 per square. I'll update this thread as I get quotes if anyone is interested.
you can also wait a bit till business slows back down...
DadAG10
quote:
Usually they'll quote you at what you got from insurance minus the deductible if you let them put a sign in your yard. Home improvement board had a big thread on this being insurance fraud or not. But meh.
It is, meh or not.

I would guess if insurance payout is enough to get a roof even without the deductible, then we won't be seeing threads about underpayment from same insurance companies.

lightningcat12
If they withheld depreciation I would let them see the paperwork. Because you still have to invoice the insurance company to obtain the depreciation. They may also catch something that some new adjuster missed, that you have no clue about.

example: insurance company says roof is worth $10,000, deductible is $3,000, depreciated $3,000

The first check you receive should be $4,000, if you take bids and choose a bid at $9,000 then the insurance company is only going to send you up to $6,000, and you still have to pay your $3,000 deductible. The insurance company is not going to give you an extra grand to take a vacation.

If you let the companies see your paperwork, check your paperwork and do it for the RCV well then you can maximize your deductible. Your roofing company may even upgrade you.

According to the law it is your obligation to pay the deductible so you might as well get the bang for the buck. Take this opportunity to choose the contractor you like, and have that company double check the insurance representatives paperwork. There are a lot of shotty roofers, and a lot of shotty adjusters out there, so choose one you trust and have him look over the paperwork with you.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.