Metroplex
Sponsored by

Possible Relocation to Fort Worth

2,707 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by PPAg
H-town Ag03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Considering taking a position at Alcon in Fort Worth.

i know nothing about the area. I'm married and have 2 yo So good schools are a must. We have a budget of 375000.

My wife and I like older homes in more established area and would like a good sized yard for the kid.

Where should I be looking? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks and Gig'em
ftworthag02
AG
http://texags.com/forums/37/topics/2771545

We live in Ryan place (most homes built around 1920s) which is just south of the magnolia area & medical district. Magnolia st has great restaurants and bars. Also very close to tcu, downtown, and the zoo. Great schools like Lily b Clayton elementary, McLean middle school, and paschal high school (most national merits in Fort Worth). Other great neighborhoods in the same area area Berkeley place, mistletoe, park hill, fairmount. Also very easy to jump on 35 and head south to Alcon. Feel free to email if you have any questions
John at fivestarlandscapeco dot com
shihitemuslim
AG
I would live by TCU or off Camp Bowie
aglaohfour
AG
Ftworthag nailed it. We live in Fairmount and love it. My husband grew up here and all my in-laws live within 5 blocks, so perhaps we're a bit biased, but this is a great place to raise kids.
The Collective
AG
I didn't realize Ryan Place went to Clayton; I assumed they went to Daggett.
ftworthag02
AG
My bad! You are correct! Ryan Place goes to Daggett. Berkeley, Mistletoe, Parkhill go to Lily B.

I will say that I'm a bit biased. My parents moved to Berkeley (Wilshire) when I was one and they are still there after 36 years. I attended Lily B, McLean, and Paschal and the greatest university in the world!
H-town Ag03
AG
Thanks for all the information so far.

I wanted to see what you know about the Mount Vernon Heights area.

My wife found a house she loves there and its a historic home to boot. I have looked at the schools and they are not that great but private school is an option.

Is this an area that is up and coming or would it be best to avoid? Again, any insight is greatly appreciated.

thisguy05
AG
I'd advise staying west of I35. Hopefully you'll get a chance to explore the city in person to get a feel for it before you have to make a decision.

Fort Worth is a great place. Hope you end up here.
The Collective
AG
I would also advise staying west of 35.
ftworthag02
AG
That looks like Meadowbrook which has older homes but the area is no bueno. Make sure everything is locked up at night, actually all day.
FTWorthAgDad
If you want big lots with lots of room in fairly nice neighborhood not too far from Alcon, check out Edgecliff Village area on line and see if any of those houses are for sale.
Another really nice area, but a little further out on the West side is Ridglea Hills or Ridglea Country Club Estates. Both of those have good size lots, just not as big as Edgecliff.
pimplepopper
AG
With respect to schools, our kids go to All Saints Episcopal and we absolutely love it. There are several Alcon families there. They also have an amazing Pre-K program.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
JR Ewingford
76109, 76116, 76107, 76110 are the zip codes you most likely want to stay in. Pricey, but there is a reason for that.
Ag CPA
AG
If you are wanting to live in FW private school is probably in your future; there are 2-3 good elementaries but beyond that there is nothing to get excited about.

Working at Alcon you could probably commute from Burleson/Mansfield without much problem but I am not that familiar with the ISDs down there.
grego
AG
For public schools - Tanglewood, Lily B Clayton and perhaps Ridglea Hills are the best options.
ftworthag02
AG
agree... Tanglewood, Lily B. Clayton, Ridglea Hills are some of the best in FW. Tanglewood & Lily B feed into Paschal High School (great AP & honors program and highest # of national merits)
Aries
Do not live in Burleson.
silvey77
AG

Come look at Rendon. Mansfield ISD, no city taxes, some neighborhoods have HOA's some don't, 10 minutes to Alcon. You can buy land if you want. Unincorporated Johnson and Tarrant counties depending on where in Rendon you want to go. Houses between 200k and $2 million.
Fiddlesticks
AG
You may also consider looking a little further north. Grapevine and Keller are both doable at that price point and have much better public schools.
pimplepopper
AG
Aries said:

Do not live in Burleson.
Just go there for Babe's Chicken House.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
PPAg
AG
This is an older OP so my apologies if this is no longer relevant.

I can only speak off my experience and this is just my opinion. Don't go to the suburbs. You may have to pay a bit of a premium, but what you are looking for is in Ft. Worth. I grew up in Ft. Worth on the west side. It is such a unique culture, community, atmosphere, small town feel in the big city. Also, commuting north and south along I-35 would drive me insane.

As far as schools, I went to All Saints' and I loved it. The privates are far and away the best option in Ft. Worth (Country Day, Trinity Valley, and All Saints'). However, they are VERY expensive. Paschal is the public school exception, it is a great school. Southwest Christian is a good, cheaper alternative as a private.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.