Metroplex
Sponsored by

Dallas Jeweler

2,230 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by g_loose
g_loose
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Please let me know if you have any recommendations of a trustworthy jeweler in Dallas. I'm about to buy an engagement ring and have only met with the Diamond Doctor. Not sure if I'm getting a good deal or not, and am open to looking at other options.

Thanks.
plarmigan
AG
My father is a diamond wholesaler in North Dallas. He has done engagement rings for prob 6-7 of my Aggie buddies. Feel free to email me phillip03atm at hotmail and I can give you his contact info.
agcrock2005
AG
I work next to Diamond Doctor and based off of the demographics of the area, I think it's impossible to get a good deal there. Too many people walk into that store and buy at the listed price and don't negotiate.
g_loose
Phillip, I sent you an email.
jmh3209
AG
Eaton Jewelers! Bought my engagement ring from there about 3 months ago great people. Feel free to email me with questions justin at hartgroves dot com
DeLaHonta
AG
Anschar Diamonds on Preston at 635. I, and many people I know, went through them after looking around and not finding better prices. They'll let you pick the diamond and design your own ring, if you like, or pick from existing selection.

Very nice people. It's not a walk-in store, so call ahead to make an appointment. Phil and/or Theo are who you'll work with. Pay in cash (like, cold hard cash, not a check), and you'll get a discount.
big ben
AG
Go wholesale route, eff diamond Doctor, Robbins bros etc
Texker
AG
Winfield's Jewelry in Richardson. Go in and you'll either be greeted by Jack (the owner) or Garrett (who's been there for 25+ years. Been going there for years and always treated well.
Texas Ag Mom
Theo (pronoun Tay-O) is the owner of Anschar Diamonds. I met him 34 years ago when he made our rings. About 18 years ago I ran into him & he is now my neighbor. About 15 years ago I had him put my original diamond in a new setting & I get lots of compliments. He has made many rings & earrings, etc. for family (including my DIL), friends, & many many Aggies. No one I know has ever been disappointed with his work. Simply take a picture of what you want, or describe a design or pick from something he already has. Know what your budget is before you go & he will get you the best available while staying in budget. You will be paying wholesale prices. He will educate you about diamonds.He is HONEST & KNOWLEDGEABLE! What do I get out of this referral? Absolutely nothing beyond the satisfaction that you won't get ripped off in some retail store! I have a cousin from New Foundland Canada coming to town to meet with him in a few weeks!

Make an appointment & tell him his neighbor Aggie Mom sent you & congrats!
fwag04
AG
Check out online places like Bluenile, whiteflash, Brian Gavin, etc to get an idea on prices.
supermanrv
AG
Go wholesale--Have you looked into the World Trade Center or Infomart?
AggieMavsfan
AG
I negotiated ~10% off the list price of the diamond with diamond doctor but I did pay "sticker" for the setting. It was a custom order. I'm pretty sure I could have gotten a better deal, but from inputting the same specs for the diamond and the setting into BlueNile, it wasn't a massive difference. I also found it difficult to shop online without my gf getting to physically try things on. You could always try and showroom one of the stores and then buy online, but it will be uncomfortable.
Aries
We found my ring at a store then my husband ordered it all from Blue Nile. He is really picky when it comes to buying things & said the process was very easy. He was able to approve the center diamond since they overnight it to you for approval.
Duncan Idaho
Just once I want to hear someone say "man, I got ****ed when I bought my ring"

Everyone.every.one. has got a guy and has got a great deal.
Comeby!
AG
Blue Nile. You can deal with someone on the phone. Diamond Doctor tried to rip me off more than once. Like someone else said, go to those sites and have those numbers in mind. No one will be able to get close, then they'll switch gears to some warranty....yes on a diamond.
shihitemuslim
AG
I got my wife engagement ring from Kube's Jeweler in Fort Worth
DeLaHonta
AG
quote:
Just once I want to hear someone say "man, I got ****ed when I bought my ring"

Everyone.every.one. has got a guy and has got a great deal.
It's because there is no such thing as an objectively good deal on a diamond...they aren't actually worth anywhere near the prices people pay, but people pay them because that's what women expect.

Same thing for cars. Have you ever heard anyone say they didn't get a great deal of a car? Salesmen are very good at convincing you you're getting a good deal.
TamuMonica
AG
Gillespie Jewelers in Addison. He made both mine and my husband's wedding bands. We brought him pictures and he made us exactly what we wanted for 1/3rd of the price of the main big box store jewelers.

We actually found him because his old shop was by the boutique where I bought my wedding dress. My dad and husband were waiting outside for me to finish and he invited them in to enjoy a drink at his full bar behind his jewelry counter. We were just graduating and didn't have much, he helped us out and didn't take advantage. Good guy, won't do you wrong!
Duncan Idaho
That sounds like you met that jeweler in a completely serendipitous meeting and not at all like he purposefully placed his store next door to a bridal shop, stocked a bar watches for bored men like a hawk.
g_loose
Thank you everyone for your replies. I met with a couple of these recommendations and ended up purchasing an engagement ring from Miles Goldberg (http://milesnew.milesgoldberg.com/?page_id=29).

They were fantastic to deal with and made a custom engagement ring that looks incredible. My fiancee and I are very pleased with the end result. I highly recommend Miles Goldberg to anyone. Ask for Phil.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.