Metroplex
Sponsored by

Meat Deals

6,226 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by FincAg
agcrock2005
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
OK, picked up the new pit and I'm ready to fill the freezer. Since HEB just likes to buy land and not build stores , where's the best place to buy briskets, ribs, shoulders, etc.? Maybe we could post weekly sales here too.

Tom Thumb: Choice bone-in Ribeye or strips for $9.99, but their choice rarely actually looks like choice.
Market Street: Nada
Kroger: Split chicken breasts $.88/lb
Whole Foods: Nada at my location in Colleyville
Sprouts: Pork shoulder $1.99/lb

I'm not sure if these are good prices or not but they're listed on their weekly ad so I thought I would share.
BeardofZeus01
AG
Costco in Southlake normally has prime briskets for $2.69 - 2.89/lb.
agcrock2005
AG
quote:
Costco in Southlake normally has prime briskets for $2.69 - 2.89/lb.
Awesome. I will go check tomorrow. Thanks.
BeardofZeus01
AG
I don't ever look at ribs or shoulders/butts there, but would imagine they'd be competitively priced also.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
When I'm cooking steaks for a special occasion, I always get them from Costco. You can get them very thick which I love.
TecRecAg
AG
Not always up to date on their prices, but if it's quality that you're after look no further than Hirsch's in Plano.
Boat Shoes
AG
Im smoking a prime brisket from Costco tomorrow. 13lber for $2.69/lb, $35. Not bad at all.
agcrock2005
AG
quote:
Im smoking a prime brisket from Costco tomorrow. 13lber for $2.69/lb, $35. Not bad at all.

I'll take that any day of the week.
The Collective
AG
Meat /norm
agcrock2005
AG
Tom Thumb has $1.99/lb briskets, but who knows if they're any good. Their meat is very inconsistent. I've seen steaks labeled select that look better than the ones labeled choice.
ursusguy
AG
I generally buy moat of my meat at Save A Lot Foods. Get there early and they have a decent enough selection.
agcrock2005
AG
Don't know much about Albertson's (other than I hear they aren't a good grocer overall), but they have choice briskets for $1.49/lb ending today.
FincAg
AG
Has anyone seen recent pork shoulders/boston butts less than $1.50/lb? I grabbed a few around Easter when Kroger had them at $1/lb but have already gone through them.
FincAg
AG
11 lb pork shoulders for $1.49/lb at Kroger while they last. I grabbed the largest 6 I could find. No limit on the purchase.
agcrock2005
AG
quote:
11 lb pork shoulders for $1.49/lb at Kroger while they last. I grabbed the largest 6 I could find. No limit on the purchase.

Will go tomorrow. Thanks.
agcrock2005
AG
Wish choice briskets would go on sale somewhere! Should have bought more a month or so ago when they were on sale.
Superdave1993
AG
If you are in Colleyville, the Walmart Neighborhood Market has brisket regularly at $1.97 per pound. You just have to look, sometimes they are select, sometimes they are choice and once I got certified angus.
Brenner
AG
Pretty sure I just saw briskets at Kroger for $1.59/lb on Sunday. Worth a check
agcrock2005
AG
quote:
If you are in Colleyville, the Walmart Neighborhood Market has brisket regularly at $1.97 per pound. You just have to look, sometimes they are select, sometimes they are choice and once I got certified angus.
Stopped by this afternoon. Only select. Same with Kroger's $1.59/lb stuff.
kurt vonnegut
AG
Depending on where you are in the metroplex, Hirsch's Meat Market in Plano has outstanding meats. You'll pay for it, but its a good option if you want to splurge. I usually go to Costco - good meats and good prices.
agcrock2005
AG
Kroger in North Richland Hills has spares (already trimmed to St. Louis) for $1.77/lb.
FincAg
AG
Kroger at Mockingbird had .88/lb bone in pork shoulders last night. Only had about a dozen out and all under 10 lbs. I feel like I'm hording hog now that I have a deep freezer. So far there's a shoulder for each game this season.
agcrock2005
AG
quote:
I feel like I'm hording hog now that I have a deep freezer.
Ha. Me too. I've bought 11 racks of spares since yesterday. I am cooking 7 right now though so I guess it's not too bad. Might go get some more later!.
sanitariex
AG
quote:
Kroger at Mockingbird had .88/lb bone in pork shoulders last night. Only had about a dozen out and all under 10 lbs. I feel like I'm hording hog now that I have a deep freezer. So far there's a shoulder for each game this season.

Right there with you!
Gil Renard
AG
Pelini bros. heads are in sale
agcrock2005
AG
Just stopped by new Kroger store at N. Tarrant and Park Vista in north FW to check it out. They had USDA Choice certified angus untrimmed briskets for $1.99/lb. Had trimmed for $2.99/lb if you're lazy. Don't see that price very often so I bought 3 of the 6 they had.

The irony is I had just bought 3 USDA Prime at the new Costco for $2.99/lb and was on my way back to the house when I decided to stop in. I would have bought all of them at Kroger if I hadn't just done that.
agcrock2005
AG
Tom Thumb has choice briskets for 1.99 also.
HomeFinderCody
Sponsor
AG
Just got a BGE and will be doing brisket so this is great info.

I need some additional help as well. I've discovered that we don't have one decent knife in our house. So if I buy one of these that needs trimming, I need a freaking knife. Any suggestions on where to buy, what to buy, etc? It seems like you can spend as much as you want on knives. I want a good one (or set) but don't want to spend too much needlessly.

Will be posting on outdoors as well...
Sponsor Message: Need real estate help in North Texas? Click Here to Save $500
agcrock2005
AG
Dexter Roast Slicer. I think I got a 12" from Ace Mart for about $20. It's great.

For trimming a brisket though, I have a different Dexter. I think it might be a "boning knife". They both work very well and don't break the bank. If Aaron Franklin can use it and recommend it, I'm good with it.
Boat Shoes
AG
I have the same two knives based on Aaron Franklins recommendations. Both work well.
agcrock2005
AG
Kroger on 26 in North Richland Hills has Choice packers for $1.69/lb. Lowest I've seen in last couple years.
FincAg
AG
.99 lb Boston Butts at Kroger
FincAg
AG
Kroger Choice briskets $1.77 lb
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.