Austin
Sponsored by

Any updates on the 15 rideshare apps?

10,874 Views | 92 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Potcake
MaroonStain
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's been a lazy summer so I have not tested the Uber replacements in our lovely city.

Suggestions for which app is working the best to date...

Fare? Ride Austin? ScoopMe?
tamutaylor12
Most people like fasten the best. Fare if you want to schedule the ride ahead of time.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I use fare, fasten, ride Austin, getme and Wingz .

They all pay bonuses differently so the driver pool may be different on a given night.
NoneGiven
AG
I used fasten to get home from the airport the other night. Price, service and vehicle were the equivalent to a cab. It was almost as if Yellow Cab had one of their vans painted black.

Not sure why I'd wait 10 minutes for a cab clone to show up when there is a line of those at the airport waiting for me already. F you Ann Kitchens and Greg Casar.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I use Wingz for all airport rides to and from. They are on time, courteous and clean. You do however have to book them 2 hours in advance, which usually isn't an issue for airport travel. It is $26 from Hyde Park.

Also you come into AUS at the wrong time the cab line is long! Also, I hope you gave that car a bad rating to get it out of the system
BQ92
AG
Does Fasten use referral codes?
Hoss
AG
Fasten seems to be the most popular for both riders and drivers. Drivers like it because they only take $0.99 per ride no matter the distance. Passengers like it because it's cheaper than Fare, GetMe or a cab.

My referral code is OM2370. Feel more than free to use it!

I also drive for Fare and Ride Austin, but I get far more Fasten rides than the other two combined.
BQ92
AG
Thanks

I'm looking for a solution my son. Fare has not been good in our area. ETA is always 20+ more than the original estimate.
Hoss
AG
quote:
I used fasten to get home from the airport the other night. Price, service and vehicle were the equivalent to a cab. It was almost as if Yellow Cab had one of their vans painted black.

I don't see how that's even possible. A Fasten trip from Round Rock to the airport is around $25-30. A cab is gonna cost AT LEAST twice that much.

Vehicles vary just like any of the RideShare companies. I'm rollin' in an F-150, which a lot of people seem to really like for some reason.
Hoss
AG
quote:
Thanks

I'm looking for a solution my son. Fare has not been good in our area. ETA is always 20+ more than the original estimate.

What's your area?
BQ92
AG
It says your code has expired
BQ92
AG
quote:
quote:
Thanks

What's your area?

Lakeline to Avery Ranch
Hoss
AG
quote:
It says your code has expired

Oops. It says I can share that code with other drivers. I guess I don't have one for passengers.
FinMick
AG
MI5157 is my code for Fasten. I spammed my Fare code (MICK2) on a few social media sites, and I have yet to pay for a ride (except tip) yet--prob $3-400. It's like being at the top of a pyramid scheme. I try and keep my balance low because i think if/when Uber/Lyft come back they will likely go away.
JCRiley09
AG
quote:
quote:

I don't see how that's even possible. A Fasten trip from Round Rock to the airport is around $25-30. A cab is gonna cost AT LEAST twice that much.

Vehicles vary just like any of the RideShare companies. I'm rollin' in an F-150, which a lot of people seem to really like for some reason.
An F150? Have you calculated your mileage and gas expenses compared to what you're making? I've always wondered how anyone driving a non-Lux truck or SUV makes any money when accounting for other costs.
MaroonStain
AG
I tried Fasten last Saturday. 1st ride was good, 2nd ride didnt show, said they were present, left and charged me.
Hoss
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

An F150? Have you calculated your mileage and gas expenses compared to what you're making? I've always wondered how anyone driving a non-Lux truck or SUV makes any money when accounting for other costs.

Yes. Depending on how many hours I feel like driving, I clear anywhere from $600 to $1200 a month. Lately I haven't driven much though. And honestly, I may not continue. It takes a lot of hours out of my weeknights and weekends and I really hate driving in downtown Austin (which is where I pretty much always end up).
Furlock Bones
AG
Promo Code IY1472
JCRiley09
AG
RideAustin just dropped their rates to $.99 a mile and .25 a minute.
emando2000
AG
I use Fare & have been pleased. I'm not that picky if the vehicle is spotless. I use them because I like to have more than a couple of drinks when I'm out, not luxury. Some aren't the best vehicles but I don't betch about them because I'm paying reasonable prices (it's not a limo ride).

I don't know how accurate this is but a driver for both Fare & Fasten said Fare is slightly higher but they don't have the surge pricing that Fasten has. I've never paid more than $25 for a ride...& that includes at 2AM when the bars close. I live roughly about 10-15 miles from downtown.
wadd96
AG
Used Fare last week to go from Pville to Downtown and back. Driver coming back much better, older gentleman, newer car, offered water and good conversation.

On a side note, Fare and GetMe were sued by Texas Association for the Bkind yesterday for not being disabled friendly.
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
JCRiley09
AG
http://www.fox7austin.com/news/local-news/218114000-story

Uber is talking with the city and still negotiating a return. Legislation during the 85th legislative session will likely force the city's hand anyway.

After half a year without Uber and Lyft, is anyone actually missing them? Fasten and RideAustin have been great in my opinion, and I'm not sure I want to see the "WalMart" of rideshare move back into town.
Furlock Bones
AG
I am. Fasten sucks.
BQ92
AG
JCRiley09 said:

http://www.fox7austin.com/news/local-news/218114000-story

After half a year without Uber and Lyft, is anyone actually missing them? Fasten and RideAustin have been great in my opinion, and I'm not sure I want to see the "WalMart" of rideshare move back into town.

RideFare and Fasten are still significantly inferior options. Are not reliable at least in the Lakeline area
SassyAggie87
Fasten
johnson2012
AG
Used Fasten last night for the first time and all went smoothly. Signed up with FinMick's code and pickup was maybe 5 mins later than the estimate. I've been using Fare sparingly and primarily sober friends.

Can't wait for Uber and Lyft to come back. Hopefully the state legislature can quash the local regs without making this into more of a cluster.

My Fasten code - XC6870
Potcake
AG
I also want Uber and Lyft back, haven't used rideshare since they left. However, the State should stay the hell out of local matters.
Charpie
AG
I like fasten compared to the others in town
JCRiley09
AG
DWIs down despite no Uber/Lyft

http://www.statesman.com/news/dwi-arrests-haven-gone-austin-since-uber-and-lyft-left/cbNjncG8t4mABUWjDYjAuJ/
tamusc
AG
I've used Fasten 6 or 7 times it's been great every time. They've all been former Uber or Lyft drivers who said they like Fasten better.

I used Uber over the holidays when I was in NC and it was terrible by comparison, though still better than my recent cab experiences in Dallas from the airport.

That being said, I'm all for competition and Uber and Lyft can come back any time they want to.
BurnetAg
I only drink in RR, Cedar Park which has Uber so that's what I use.
j_sizzle24
AG
Updated Fasten code: NB2203
Updated RideAustin code: 7mn7zbx4
chet98
AG
Which app for the iPhone seems to work the best? most user-friendly?
tamusc
AG
chet98 said:

Which app for the iPhone seems to work the best? most user-friendly?
Fasten seems to be the popular choice and what I've mostly used.
chet98
AG
Thanks. I downloaded the Fasten app but haven't played around with it. Now just need a babysitter for a night out and a NEED of ride sharing in general!
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.