Bryan Albertsons Closing

3,176 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 18 yr ago by ro828
ro828
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It's on the front page of today's Eagle, and the lead story on their webpage.

Is anyone surprised?

There have been so many times that I was literally the only customer in the store. Walk from one end to the other and not see another person, and this being before dark on a Friday.

Their prices are sky high. The last thing I bought there was Eggo waffles. $3.49 at Albertson's, $1.99 at HEB.

I'd guess that store either threw away tons of food or gave it to charity: fresh vegetables, baked goods, meat, dairy products. There are probably canned goods that have been there since the day the store opened.
aggiewholikestorun
Does not suprise me at all. I am amazed how anything in that plaza stays open very long. Long live H-E-B!
Tanya 93
plus

if you have ever been there at night, I feel like I can get mugged in that parking lot
aggiewholikestorun
That's what you get for shopping in Bryan!
Sesh 96
Albertson's got run outta town by HEB ages ago in SA. It was only a matter of time.
txdragonfly
AG
What's gonna happen with that strip? Didn't they completely renovate it recently?
91_Aggie
AG
I don't know why the College STation one has not closed yet.

Since they did the remodel and raised all their prices, I never see anyone in there when I make the rare trip there for a $1/half-gallon milk specials.
JaxDad
AG
I know what you mean. I go to Albertsons when I'm in a hurry because I know there will be nobody else in the place.
Nom de Plume
AG
Bye bye.

Albertsons and Kroger are merely large convenience stores in HEB country.

[This message has been edited by 99_aggie_grad (edited 6/13/2006 11:12a).]
GiveEmHellBill
AG
I never see more than 4-5 cars in the parking lot at the CS Albertson's.

Honestly, who shops there? And how have they survived this long?
Nom de Plume
AG
I have absolutely NO idea how that Albertsons has lasted. The only thing I can think of is it rides the traffic coattails of the Wally World next door and has a cheap lease, or something.

I too have gone in there to pick up one item every once in a while and literally been the only customer along with a dozen employees in the entire building.

[This message has been edited by 99_aggie_grad (edited 6/13/2006 4:45p).]
txdragonfly
AG
99, have you ever tried to shop at the south CS Kroger on a Sunday afternoon?
ro828
I go so far back that I still think of that shopping center as Townshire. It first opened when I was in junior high school.

CiCi's Pizza does great business. But if you drive by there you'll notice that there's one big cluster of cars in the parking lot in front of CiCi's and a lot of empty space.
spike427
AG
I was so surprised they even opened that Albertson's. (It opened right when Albertson's announced many stores would close.) The prices were too high (over $4-5 for a frozen entree?!) but they had good cakes. We used to get them for birthday cakes at the printing company.
Nom de Plume
AG
quote:
99, have you ever tried to shop at the south CS Kroger on a Sunday afternoon?

Negative.
51Merc-98Ag
AG
Liar - I see you there often - we all know you work in produce . . . .
91_Aggie
AG
That Rock Prairie Kroger is doing better than I suspected it would... an HEB around Greens Prairie would solve that, though.
Scotch
AG
Bryan still has two Appletrees. Yeah!
Holyman2
Well, I don't see why yall are fussing about it. It was going to happen. HEB is OK, but I go to albersons 1s a week. Me and my Mom go to Cotten Pattch and then go there and so it isn't going down in college station but in bryin no big deal
Humorous Username
AG
quote:
Username: Holyman2
Number of Posts: 7
Account Created: 6/10/2006 6:49:30 PM
Homepage:
Interests: Internet, Games, ect.

Well, that explains the horrible spelling. Welcome to the intertron Holyman2.

Gig 'em
txdragonfly
AG
Psst, Cotton Patch is in the Kroger shopping center.
80s Guy
The only reason it's stayed open this long was the tax breaks they were given by the city when the store was built.
Nom de Plume
AG
The fish tacos rocked.
Boy Wonder
Here.
Aggiefan54
We need a Fiesta! store-in Bryan of course. It would be like Matamoros on shopping day....
eus6267
From my experiences, Fiesta is an extremely dirty grocery store to shop at. In Houston, Fiesta and Food Town are neck-in-neck in filth count.
Aggiefan54
True, true...

But where other than Fiesta can you buy curados (folk cures), good lotto luck votive candles, and Ecuadorean cuisine pickled pigs feet in one shopping trip?
Dad
AG
I shop at Albertson's on University once every three weeks or so when I realize that I forgot something that I need when I was getting my groceries at H-E-B.

I love it. You park right in front of the door, you can walk fast through the store and don't have to go through all the people with baskets blocking the way, and there is never a line to checkout. The only thing that sucks is paying a 30% markup over the HEB price, but it's worth it if I'm only getting one thing.

Also, the self checkout machines let you get $5, $10, or $15 in cash back instead of the standard increments of $20.
Nom de Plume
AG
Because sometimes you only need $35, not $40.
stardustag
AG
they did announce a while back that they are closing most Albertson's in Central Texas.
Dad
AG
quote:
Because sometimes you only need $35, not $40.
I don't carry a lot of cash and buy most stuff with a debit and credit card. I usually don't want $20 from a machine because it seems to disappear just as fast as $10.

hth
ro828
I was in there about thirty minutes ago. All the promotion about the huge markdowns and there were still very few people shopping. I got a couple of salads that had June 20 sell by dates for $1 off the $3.99 regular price. The third salad had a June 22 sell by date and was still full price.

This is going to leave three great big empty stores on that end of Texas Avenue where Albertson't, Kroger, and HEB Pantry were.

Will the last person to leave please turn off the lights?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.