Consol student struck by car at 2818/Welsh

5,164 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by PS3D
PS3D
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Got a text from a friend who witnessed a Consol student being hit by a car at 2818/Welsh this morning. Motorcycle cop nearby was able to render aid. Not sure of any more details.
aggiepaintrain
AG
Is a overpass/walk way feasible there?
Hope the student is ok.
Rockdoc
AG
Such a dangerous area. Yesterday I went thru that intersection and a student waiting to cross was standing on that island with headphones on and either texting or playing a game, while cars were going by at 50mph just a few feet from his face. He wasn't paying any attention at all to the traffic. I just prayed that he made it across.
Oogway
I hope the student will be okay.

I realize that pedestrians must be aware and alert for inattentive drivers, and we know that vehicles are not really as vulnerable in a human vs auto collision, but I must say there are a lot of clueless drivers out there. This week alone I have seen a car driving past a stopped school bus (red lights and all) and a lot of speeding through school zones. I noticed the traffic officers have been patrolling around Consol and some of the other zones and I thank them for that.

FNG
When my son was at CSMS, we saw people pulled over every time the motorcycle cops were on patrol. Every time. People don't get the hint from a sign with a flashing light on top of it and large numbers telling you the speed limit.

People are stupid. Or they don't think the law applies to them. Many of them will be voting in a couple of weeks.
PS3D
aggiepaintrain said:

Is a overpass/walk way feasible there?
Hope the student is ok.
I know Principal Elder got out there as soon as she heard about it (another friend who teaches at Consol), but I haven't heard anything from our (incompetent?) news agencies yet. Chances are they'll probably learn from this thread, then check police reports later.

As for a grade-separated walkway, I immediately thought of this relatively simple set-up near Memorial High School in Houston (link) but the problem with 2818 is that unlike Echo Lane in Houston, it's used by a lot of commercial traffic and any sort of pedestrian bridge would have to have enough clearance to not get hit by those vehicles (I'm not sure what the height is for Echo Lane). It would not need to be as high as the old one over Wellborn Road, though, because that one also had to clear railroad cars (which are even higher).
Oogway
If Hwy 6 is any indication, TXDot could make it two stories tall and someone would still manage to hit it...
UmustBKidding
Its not always the news entities that are at fault. The CSISD disinformation personal are also to blame. My wife works there at times. A trash can was set on fire in one of the bathrooms and fire department was dispatched and school evacuated. Was cold and drizzling and my wife was outside for almost an hour with all the other students and teachers. Immediately sent email to KBTX about it, but nothing showed up. Sent email to ask why nothing was in the news. They said they called the school and were told nothing was happening at the school. Talked to a friend who was an administrator there who said that it was typical, the disinformation squad was on duty. Said they suppress things all the time and know of an incident which amounted to attempted murder that was squashed also. The recent resignation by a teacher was public knowledge, students knew all the messy details for four days before the email from Gwen. If someone had not posted here about the resignation likely the public would have never heard about it.

PS3D
UmustBKidding said:

Its not always the news entities that are at fault. The CSISD disinformation personal are also to blame. My wife works there at times. A trash can was set on fire in one of the bathrooms and fire department was dispatched and school evacuated. Was cold and drizzling and my wife was outside for almost an hour with all the other students and teachers. Immediately sent email to KBTX about it, but nothing showed up. Sent email to ask why nothing was in the news. They said they called the school and were told nothing was happening at the school. Talked to a friend who was an administrator there who said that it was typical, the disinformation squad was on duty. Said they suppress things all the time and know of an incident which amounted to attempted murder that was squashed also. The recent resignation by a teacher was public knowledge, students knew all the messy details for four days before the email from Gwen. If someone had not posted here about the resignation likely the public would have never heard about it.

I agree. Thinking back to my own four years at Consolidated, I could easily spin everything that happened during my time there and what I knew about Consolidated into a story that would sound like Consolidated was a run-down inner city school where anarchy ruled.
Lone Stranger
If there was an overhead walkway how would the kids play "I dare you" and "chicken" with the cars and each other while they are getting across the road there?

Or the recent one I saw after school where a group of students crossed on the light in an orderly fashion and then two stragglers running up after the light changed toss their skateboards out into the intersection and run and jump on them and slalom around the cars that have started moving since the light changed.

Those little imps.......someone should tell them they shouldn't do that....they cold get hurt!
UmustBKidding
All schools have issues. Lots of people (especially during the zoning discussions) think none of that happens at cshs. While the problems have differences they exist. And how they are dealt with is different also. My desire is the they efforts that are taken to suppress the facts were used to acknowledge and address the issues in public and improve the whole system
OnlyForNow
AG
A lot has changed since I lived in Southwood Valley; but it isn't always the drivers fault that someone walks in front of your car, doesn't matter if you're going 30 or 50.
PS3D
UmustBKidding said:

All schools have issues. Lots of people (especially during the zoning discussions) think none of that happens at cshs. While the problems have differences they exist. And how they are dealt with is different also. My desire is the they efforts that are taken to suppress the facts were used to acknowledge and address the issues in public and improve the whole system
My point is not that Consol is particularly awful or even that the "information suppression" system is bad, it just goes to show how easily issues can be distorted. I can't actually write a sensationalist piece on Consolidated with a straight face, I'm just saying it's possible.
theeagle
AG
The student's OK, and the driver was cited.
http://www.theeagle.com/news/local/a-m-consolidated-student-hit-by-truck-while-walking-to/article_2ae2d158-9d39-11e6-87e9-8f3c5f9dde95.html
UmustBKidding
The last major injury at that intersection was truly tragic, and why I could not believe lonestrangers comments were made, totally tasteless. I am truly glad the student is ok this time.
Still the hiding of facts to cover the district's reputation is not a solution.

pudge
I should keep my thoughts to myself.
Frio Cielo
PS3D said:

UmustBKidding said:

I agree. Thinking back to my own four years at Consolidated, I could easily spin everything that happened during my time there and what I knew about Consolidated into a story that would sound like Consolidated was a run-down inner city school where anarchy ruled.

I am not quite sure that the newspaper needed to go out to Consol and do a story on some kid starting a fire in a bathroom trash can. That doesn't seem to be a very significant story that would be of interest to most people in the area..

pudge
But with another fire, the tv and newspaper was all over it, even proclaiming they had a suspect. I know someone with the true story.
InMyOpinion
There is no reason to do anything at that intersection. these are high schoolers who are 1-2 years away from operating a vehicle. If they can't safely cross the street then their parents need to walk them to school and teach them how.
PS3D
In my day, we had a trash can fire too. Let's see now, what went on (2006-2010)? I can go on about poor maintenance:
- Wiring in the tech wing was barely enough to turn on a few computers, attempting to use a plug-in stovetop failed miserably
- A/C unit malfunctioned, setting off an alarm during the lunch hour
- Rat droppings

Crime on school premises:
- Attempted kidnapping outside school gates
- Spray-paint vandalism covering several entrances of school
- Stabbing during pep rally

Other stuff:
- Carjacking/kidnapping perp (from the mall) attempted to enter school once
- Bomb threat (from the parking lot, but still)
- Gas station clerk murdered across the street (again, not related to school, but could be spun that way)

Fights:
- Saw at least on-the-ground, shirts-off brawl (personally)
- Principal (not Elder) tried to keep a running tally on how many days without a fight (could spin it as "Fights got so out of control that...")

Like I said, it's really not so much that happened but how it can be spun. Toss all these mostly unrelated factoids (plus some more) to a thirsty news agency and they'll paint Consol as a hell on earth that you should never, ever send your kids to.

Media deception...it's that easy!
Stupe
S
InMyOpinion said:

There is no reason to do anything at that intersection. these are high schoolers who are 1-2 years away from operating a vehicle. If they can't safely cross the street then their parents need to walk them to school and teach them how.
Pedestrians are ALWAYS the cause of an accident.
InMyOpinion
Stupe said:

InMyOpinion said:

Pedestrians are ALWAYS the cause of an accident.

Not ALWAYS but paying attention and common sense go along way in preventing most accidents
techno-ag
AG
PS3D said:

In my day, we had a trash can fire too. Let's see now, what went on (2006-2010)? I can go on about poor maintenance:
- Wiring in the tech wing was barely enough to turn on a few computers, attempting to use a plug-in stovetop failed miserably
- A/C unit malfunctioned, setting off an alarm during the lunch hour
- Rat droppings

Crime on school premises:
- Attempted kidnapping outside school gates
- Spray-paint vandalism covering several entrances of school
- Stabbing during pep rally

Other stuff:
- Carjacking/kidnapping perp (from the mall) attempted to enter school once
- Bomb threat (from the parking lot, but still)
- Gas station clerk murdered across the street (again, not related to school, but could be spun that way)

Fights:
- Saw at least on-the-ground, shirts-off brawl (personally)
- Principal (not Elder) tried to keep a running tally on how many days without a fight (could spin it as "Fights got so out of control that...")

Wowzers.
FNG
And yet we didn't hear a peep out of you when the BISD superintendent was getting shown the door.
Oogway
Good grief, folks. Can we move on before this deteriorates any further into Turf Wars the sequel?
Frio Cielo
InMyOpinion said:

Can't you get a learner's permit at 15 years old? If so, many students from 9th grade on can be operating a motor vehicle.
AG
The rainbow bridge over wellborn road was used alot
threecatcorner
Not the pedestrian's fault when they are crossing the street legally in the crosswalk with a walk sign and the person whose car
hit them turned left on red (illegally) through the crosswalk. Where and how that "accident" happened was entirely the driver's fault. That turn signal lets through a certain number of cars. If the light turns red before you get to turn and kids start crossing the street, you f***ing wait for the next light and for the kids to finish crossing the street. I'm glad the motorcycle cop was there to ticket them. I have seen people run that light before and haven't seen them get caught.
PS3D
cplstansfield said:

The rainbow bridge over wellborn road was used alot

Not really, otherwise it wouldn't have been torn down! There were too many switchbacks to make it easy to commute via bicycle, it was rather narrow, and it still vibrated a lot when a train came through.
Stupe
S
That's not correct. It was torn down due to road improvements and the tunnel being a better overall alternative for pedestrians, bikes, and service vehicles.

Even if they had decided against the tunnel and decided to go with a bridge, that one was going to have to come down.
Stupe
S
I think that you missed the sarcasm in my post.
Scruffy
AG
I'm going to jump in on the conversation.

I hope the student is ok.

Ultimately the safety of pedestrians is on the pedestrian. They need to remember "stop, look, listen" before crossing roads.
Even if the driver is at fault for hitting someone, it doesn't mean there are no injuries or death. Being "in the right" or "having RoW" doesn't change getting hit by a 2000lb mechine of death.

I would like to see protected crossing for pedestrians. Meaning only pedestrians are allowed in the intersection. Do like much of the U.K. And not have cars driving while people are walking.
PS3D
Stupe said:

That's not correct. It was torn down due to road improvements and the tunnel being a better overall alternative for pedestrians, bikes, and service vehicles.

Even if they had decided against the tunnel and decided to go with a bridge, that one was going to have to come down.
They did add a right hand turn lane, but it was still far clumsier to use than the regular crosswalk, which was still able to be used at that point (on the south side). Everyone I've talked to has said more or less the same thing. At about that time, they got rid of the dirt parking lots between Wellborn Road and the railroad tracks and put up a fence.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.