Greens Prairie at Wellborn open, Straub to close delayed

5,162 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by deh40
FNG
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Anybody know when the real date for this switch will be?

[This is not Yahoo. Please do not use misleading thread titles. Thank you. -Staff]
Post removed:
by user
JavierC2005
No sidewalks as of today.
phatpat21
Drove by last night and the sign on greens prarie said the signals would be turned on 10/26. Soooooo
75AG
AG
People trying to continue on Wellborn while a car is stopped, either direction, trying to turn across the tracks, with a train. Oh man! What a cluster mess this is going to be!
Clo004
What we got at work yesterday.

Due to equipment issues the signal light and railroad crossing were not opened today as planned. They are re-scheduled to open this Thu 10/27 around 0900.

FNG
FNG said:

Anybody know when the real date for this switch will be?

[This is not Yahoo. Please do not use misleading thread titles. Thank you. -Staff]

Sorry Staff.

I know I forgot to add the "You won't believe what happens next!!!"
Post removed:
by user
Tailgate88
AG
nm better behave ...
FNG
Still open. No change yet.
AggiePhil
AG
It isn't 0900 yet.
D_Wag97
AG
So does this mean people will actually go to Wellborn from Greens Prairie instead of going by the school to Arrington? Pleeeeaaaase ???
UmustBKidding
Not open at the moment they are working on it. If not done by three maybe tomorrow, union rules
It's not going to improve traffic near Arrington at all. Also this is greens prairie trail not.greens prairie road.
SARATOGA
I've been confused as to why they rebuilt the intersection, installed stoplights, and then didn't use any of it for 12 months.

#FreeGreensPrairie
#OpenGreensPrairie

UmustBKidding
They have built it twice and cocs wants them to rebuild again. They built a regular crossing first. Then they decided they wanted to make it a quiet zone so the had to rip major portions to put double gates in. UP "agreed" to do it but this is a typical ploy since it transfers any liability to the city for accidents. Now cocs wants it rebuilt to support sidewalks.
SARATOGA
Seems like UP should just tell the city to (insert euphemism here)....

Isn't that how this all got started anyway ? the Railroad commission saying "Here is what is going to happen against common sense or your desire"
etj77845
As of 1130 GPT is open and Straub is closed. Lots of contractor traffic around GPT and 2154, gonna be a mess for some time to come.
LOYAL AG
AG
75AG said:

People trying to continue on Wellborn while a car is stopped, either direction, trying to turn across the tracks, with a train. Oh man! What a cluster mess this is going to be!
I live off of Koppe Bridge and won't sit in the S. Dowling/Wellborn intersection waiting for the train to pass. If I can't get off of Wellborn near the gates I pull into the post office parking lot and wait there. Not sure where you can go to sit out a trail at GPT.
Frio Cielo
It sounds to me that they should have added about a quarter mile left turn lane on the northbound lane and a quarter mile long right turn lane on the southbound lane.

They didn't do that? If not, during the busy hours just a few cars wait to turn across the tracks will back up the traffic for miles.
UmustBKidding
In theory the lanes are coming. The road will be offset to the east since there is no room for it with the current alignment. Am told that most of the west lane of 2154 is within the UP right away. But this is a collaboration between txdot and cocs so it will I am sure it will be highly efficient like the rock prairie or holleman intersections.
FNG
LOYAL AG said:

75AG said:

I live off of Koppe Bridge and won't sit in the S. Dowling/Wellborn intersection waiting for the train to pass. If I can't get off of Wellborn near the gates I pull into the post office parking lot and wait there. Not sure where you can go to sit out a trail at GPT.

This.

I won't sit in line on Wellborn with the rear end of my car hanging out to get hit by one of the compensation trucks or texting millennials that can't be bothered to slow down while so many cars are backed up.
etj77845
I still have a map of the proposed 'improvements' from Dec 2014. According to this map left turn lanes were supposed to be installed on 2154 along with the GPT project. Obviously didn't happen- yet- but creates the same situation we now have at 2154 & Dowling. The County portion of GPT, with left, right and straight traffic lanes SHOULD have been the solution..
befitter
Thank Goodness Straub is closed. It was dangerous on a daily basis.
FNG
befitter said:

Thank Goodness Straub is closed. It was dangerous on a daily basis.

That was not my experience.
The Original AG 76
AG
Just got STUCK there due to that horrible design. Someone needs to find out WHO was responsible for not having a damn dedicated right turn lane when heading south on Wellborn.
Absolute criminal negligence ! Is this one of the reasons that the area united to vote out that County Commish ? Is it too late to tar and feather someone ? There is plenty of dirt available to create a turn lane and I guarantee that folks with a tad of off road capability WILL create their own.
Probably just another scam in order to allow the local cops to write tickets.

UNREAL..Home of one of the world's premier traffic institutes and yet Brazos County and BCS is overrun with some of the worst designed intersections and roads in the country.
UNREAL
PS3D
The Original AG 76 said:

UNREAL..Home of one of the world's premier traffic institutes and yet Brazos County and BCS is overrun with some of the worst designed intersections and roads in the country.
UNREAL
Well, someone's never been to New Jersey.
The Original AG 76
AG
PS3D said:

The Original AG 76 said:

UNREAL
umm well yes I have.....

BCS...... At least our roads are better than New Jersey !!!!!
PS3D
The Original AG 76 said:

PS3D said:

The Original AG 76 said:

UNREAL
umm well yes I have.....

Well, I hope you realize that it was more of a New Jersey joke than anything else. In all seriousness, though, I really don't think that BCS intersections are particularly worse than anywhere else. I mean, yes, the highway ramps aren't very good. Despite the fact that the ramp orientation is better than the old "diamond-shaped intersections", the implementation was pretty terrible regarding how they integrate the frontage roads and highways. In the case of GPT, a missing right-turn lane sucks but it isn't worth whining about the sorry state of intersections.

For example, all intersections actually have turn lane signals. Drive around in certain Houston neighborhoods or small towns and you'll see how quickly you'll want them back.
kyledr04
AG
Not having turns lanes is ridiculous.
91_Aggie
AG
It's a good thing Wellborn was annexed... the city of College Station should be all over making sure this gets fixed.
etmydst
AG

Quote:

Other additional construction is set to begin on both sides of Green Prairie Trail, as well as F.M. 2154. The Texas Department of Transportation will be installing turn lanes off F.M. 2154 and improving the intersection. The City of College Station also will be making improvements along Greens Prairie Road, slated to conclude in summer 2017.

Link
Tailgate88
AG
91_Aggie said:

It's a good thing Wellborn was annexed... the city of College Station should be all over making sure this gets fixed.

Yes, being conquered, I mean annexed, by the PRKS was the greatest thing that ever happened to Wellborn.
FNG
We love all the many upgrades to infrastructure and services they have provided.
The Original AG 76
AG
Tailgate88 said:

91_Aggie said:

Yes, being conquered, I mean annexed, by the PRKS was the greatest thing that ever happened to Wellborn.
yep..under their benevolent and guiding hands look at all of the new small businesses that have been able to sprout and thrive in poo lil Wellborn..
tgivaughn
AG
The Original AG 76 said:

PS3D said:

The Original AG 76 said:

UNREAL
umm well yes I have.....

Agreed ,,, even ours made the local TV news ,,, the city planned Holleman (aka Jones-Butler that later South is IG&N) to cross FM2818, generous enough for rural homes, even for duplexes South & apartments North BUT without TxDot blessings ... who later said "we won't participate" we are finally going to build a traffic bridge over that railroad. (Road to bridge elevation at that point was too high to negotiate, too low to tunnel under.)

SO then city built a new curved Holleman (ironic, named after iconic architect/planner) with new intersection farther West ... but not generous enough for the Student Cities the City knew were coming through deals they made with them, so they would finance such street construction.

Now overloaded, 3-4 light wait to cross, traffic backs up to block 3-4 residential & commercial intersections ... they put up blockades during height of traffic (football games, holidays student in-out of town) to widen some intersection areas in 20-20 afterthought.

Eventually, I'm sure we'll all love it ... but do I hear hammers again on South Holleman? Another Student City about to use that intersection?

What's ironic is that TAMU does have the IQ planning and often free opinons to share, licensed engineers & architects on board with that as well but many in both government & private sectors prefer DIY, trial/error methods that are much more ego soothing ... for a very short period & thus dismiss asking for advice nor even an opinion.

(Don't get me started on Bonfire that stiff armed the Engineering Dept willing to help if asked pre-99.)
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.