The Eagle is out of touch

6,935 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by AC Hopper
JarAG2007
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://www.theeagle.com/opinion/editorials/reluctantly-the-eagle-makes-a-presidential-selection/article_f3e09237-64a8-556d-935b-450b058d9f09.html

Why endorse a candidate if you think they both aren't fit. Oh wait you are part of the media and falling in line with the others around the country...

The Eagle is local and they should really think about that before putting something out of this nature. Which candidate would be best for our community should be the question to ask! I have multiple family members and friends who are worried about their jobs in the energy sector, both lignite mining and oil/natural gas industries. They have had more EPA regulations over the past 8 year than in the history of our country. We want more jobs, better jobs, better healthcare, but the local news outlet selects a candidate that is for hurting everyone of those items.
There have been multiple articles released recently about the Obamacare raising health rates another 20% in 2017, because that's how it was written to be implemented. So look forward to high health rates and if she end coal like she said she will, and over 50% of Texas power is coal, then look forward to California rolling blackouts and higher energy bills.

If you agree with this article then that is your right but I also have the right to oppose it. I just expected more from local news outlets. It seems that our local news is falling in line with the national media and looking for hit pieces by invading peoples privacy, Bryan school board and superintendent, Bryan council meetings, etc., versus focusing on the real news that is non-bias and looking for the good and the bad without throwing people under the bus. There is the right way to do things and the wrong way. Our country is moving the wrong direction and the majority of people in our community feel that way.
Rapier108
The Eagle has been out of touch for ages, just like the rest of the media.
Clucky
Wait - so The Eagle shouldn't cover Bryan city council meetings, school board meetings or a superintendent scandal??

lol....whut?
JarAG2007
AG
[That was KBTX. Not the Eeagle. -Staff]
SoTheySay
S
I don't value the endorsement of most media. This is no different. Pointless, really.
Clucky
Love those newspaper articles with sound bites.
ksp
JarAG2007 said:

http://www.theeagle.com/opinion/editorials/reluctantly-the-eagle-makes-a-presidential-selection/article_f3e09237-64a8-556d-935b-450b058d9f09.html

Why endorse a candidate if you think they both aren't fit. Oh wait you are part of the media and falling in line with the others around the country...

The Eagle is local and they should really think about that before putting something out of this nature. Which candidate would be best for our community should be the question to ask! I have multiple family members and friends who are worried about their jobs in the energy sector, both lignite mining and oil/natural gas industries. They have had more EPA regulations over the past 8 year than in the history of our country. We want more jobs, better jobs, better healthcare, but the local news outlet selects a candidate that is for hurting everyone of those items.
There have been multiple articles released recently about the Obamacare raising health rates another 20% in 2017, because that's how it was written to be implemented. So look forward to high health rates and if she end coal like she said she will, and over 50% of Texas power is coal, then look forward to California rolling blackouts and higher energy bills.

If you agree with this article then that is your right but I also have the right to oppose it. I just expected more from local news outlets. It seems that our local news is falling in line with the national media and looking for hit pieces by invading peoples privacy, Bryan school board and superintendent, Bryan council meetings, etc., versus focusing on the real news that is non-bias and looking for the good and the bad without throwing people under the bus. There is the right way to do things and the wrong way. Our country is moving the wrong direction and the majority of people in our community feel that way.
Welcome to 1996
Muzzleblast
The Eagle isn't a newspaper.

It's just "cut and paste" Associated Press Democrat propaganda.

You can get your daily dose of Trump hate and Hillary good there.

It's pretty much become unreadable over the years.
Stupe
S
Anyone that relies on the recommendation from any newspaper to decided on how they should vote should have their right to vote revoked.

The amount of hubris that newspapers have is laughable.
Clucky
I also love a smug and self-righteous comment from a representative of one form of media, immediately followed by accusations of excessive hubris of another form of media.
BQ_90
AG
next thing you'll tell me is that Cessna's dogs football picks aren't real.
95_Aggie
AG
People get upset about the most trivial things these days. Does a newspaper really affect your life?

Thanks social media ...
Stupe
S
That went on before social media. It's just immediate and public, now.
Post removed:
by user
Frio Cielo
Other than checking the Obits to see if I need to start the day, I haven't read the Eagle in a decade or more.
FlyRod
AGnCS nailed it.
Frio Cielo
I can't imagine why a group of hacks at the Eagle think that they have a need to make any endorsements and think that their opinion is worth reading?
halibut sinclair
Frio Cielo said:

I can't imagine why a group of hacks at the Eagle think that they have a need to make any endorsements and think that their opinion is worth reading?
You do realize that newspapers in America have been doing this since the days of Benjamin Franklin in the 1700's?
FlyRod
Frio Cielo
halibut sinclair said:

Frio Cielo said:

You do realize that newspapers in America have been doing this since the days of Benjamin Franklin in the 1700's?
Yes, and I always thought the same. In Ben's days it may have been reasonable for people to desire and need newspaper publisher's opinions on issues as people didn't have the print media, TV, internet, radio and a myriad of other avenues to get information. In most instances they may not have known what was going on in the next valley over. These days, no need.
halibut sinclair
Quote:

Yes, and I always thought the same. In Ben's days it may have been reasonable for people to desire and need newspaper publisher's opinions on issues as people didn't have the print media, TV, internet, radio and a myriad of other avenues to get information. In most instances they may not have known what was going on in the next valley over. These days, no need.
I see it as just another tool to help one make an informed decision. Debates, Q&A's, friends/coworkers, and the avenues you mentioned.
oklaunion
I wonder if the Eagle will ask to re-vote now?
GoneGirl
AG
Frio Cielo said:

Because people still buy their newspaper, and obviously the OP read their opinion, which was on the opinion/editorial page.

Crusader
The Eagle offers a most valuable service. I always try to study all candidates in order to make an intelligent decision. But time restraints, like all of us have, keep me from vetting all of them during a busy election cycle.

Here's where the Eagle comes in. When in doubt, I read their recommendations and then vote for the other candidate. I get it right 99.9 % of the time.

Seriously, the Eagle is a joke of a newspaper. No one takes it seriously (I hope).
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
Newspaper recommendations are not very good and in fact many see who the Eagle recommends and vote for the other guy.

Years ago I ran for office. Eagle editorial board says "yes, vote for Pepe the Dog", Other guy is no good,

The other guy won. Voters saved you from me. Good job.
lightswitch
Regardless of your feelings about the two dogs running for office, what makes The Eagle's opinion any more valid or invalid than anyone else's ./?

1) So if you don't like it, treat it like you are hearing it from a crackpot neighbor.

2) If you like it, treat it like a like-minded agreeable neighbor.

3) If it just doesn't matter to you, then treat it like it doesn't matter to you.
Oogway
Advertisers are the Eagle's customers. That is the way journalism works. Media exists to provide profit to its publisher. Aside from ideological discussions in higher education, that is pretty much the reality. Reporting, specifically, investigative reporting, serves a valuable purpose in a free society, but even so, there are many versions of the 'truth.'

Lightswitch has pointed out that those that publish the Eagle have provided an opinion. You are free to assess that opinion and offer your own. Yea for America!
BrazosBull
AG
Why do you think it has been nicknamed " The Buzzard" for decades ?
AC Hopper
S
Be thankful you've got a newspaper!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.