Sterling Auto Group - opinions?

2,044 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Kate Beckett
slyk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thought about going to these folks to look at and poss buy a vehicle for daughter. Anyway would like to know your experience about buying from this dealership or can recommend (or not recommend) a particular sales person. While I have not shopped at this dealer I have had several bad experiences at other dealerships (i.e. very pushy salesmen, must buy today, relentless followup phones calls, etc). I consider this a real pita to do (dealing with car salesmen) but its gotta get done. So any advice from sales to service after the sale is appreciated.
Thanks!
GunRangeGal
AG
Ask for Tim in sales and Ross in service. Ross is the best!

*I used to work in finance the there so I'm very biased.
Raven
S
Plus one for Tim and Ross.
originaltexan
Know what the car sells for before you buy.

Email five or six dealerships in Houston, Dallas, and Austin. If you have to fill out a web based form at the dealership site, enter 979-555-5555 for your phone number and tell them NOT to call, ONLY email.

Look at TrueCar.com (good for a reference point, but not too factual). You can populate a form at truecar as well, and the "preferred" dealerships will email you back.

Search "price paid for 2016 XY car new"

Relying on a single salesman is not ideal when buying a large ticket item.

momlaw
AG
When I purchased a car from them I had done my homework, in fact knew which dealership had the car I wanted. They honored my research with a fair price. I was willing to pay a bit more to buy from the dealer who would service it. Tim and Ross are GMC side, different crew with Subaru.
ksp
momlaw said:

When I purchased a car from them I had done my homework, in fact knew which dealership had the car I wanted. They honored my research with a fair price. I was willing to pay a bit more to buy from the dealer who would service it. Tim and Ross are GMC side, different crew with Subaru.
Plus not to mention 5 hrs of added time and having to drive into Houston. They are also real bad about adding fees once you get there or not offering as much for your trade once they see it in person. Easily worth $500 to avoid all that hassle and buy local if it comes to that.
slyk
Thanks for the info so far. I guess to be more specific we are looking at the Kia line. We heard a commercial about a special of $500 down on a few lines of Kia's and fairly low monthly payments (albit for a long time though). There is no trade in to be done. Not interested in a lease.
Thanks again.
Bucketrunner
We have had great experiences with John Chavarria in sales.
aggiemom89
I had a good experience with them last year in October 2015 purchasing a used vehicle (2015 model though). I had looked in big cities and their price was comparable. The actual purchase and paperwork took less than two hours. Great to work with.
ratfacemcdougal
There is not enough thumbs up and blue parachutes for Danny, the service guy at Sterling KIA. Bought my car in Houston (at the time Sterling had very few cars in inventory) however, I have had Sterling KIA do all of my service. I have had nothing but good experiences with their service dept. Danny is one of the top service people for customer service in KIA nationwide.
BryanPooch
I bought a Subaru from them about 18 moths ago. I did research and priced vehicles through Consumer Reports and two other sites I got bids on specific cars from about 10 dealers in Houston, Condor, Austin and San Antonio. I had a folder with specs and offers. I think they saw my cousin and I perusing them. They came in with an offer than was as good or better than all sources. My car was at a dealership in San Antonio and I got it in a day or two. It had a somewhat botched pinstrioing job, which I didn't want anyway. They perfectly removed the bad jig at no charge and never added the stupid charge for the bad stripes from the SA dealer. Service has been swift, efficient and free so far. Love the car and really like the Sterling folks so far.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
love their new radio ad/jingle.

"start the jingle.......LOOOOVE IT!"
Lovebird
I know this is not what you were asking, but Ancira Winston Chevrolet in San Antonio is by far the best dealership I've ever dealt with. Take a look at their website, the have great deals on used and new vehicles.

Note: I am in no way affiliated with this dealership other than bought 2 cars from Mike Mire.
NateDog
AG
Bought a new Kia just over 2 years ago from Sterling. Service department has been good; happily it's only been routine maintenance. The sales experience was pretty much what I've come to expect from car dealerships.

In the end, we bought the vehicle there since it was exactly what my wife wanted and the price wasn't awful.

Edit - didn't need so many words.
Kate Beckett
AG
Haven't bought there but the service department is excellent. Get my Equinox serviced there and good results each and every time.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.