Shredded tires for mulch?

3,297 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Brewmaster
studioone
How long do you want to ignore this user?
anyone know where I can get some? Want to Try it on a flower bed and see how it works... I'm tired of hauling 25 tons of mulch every winter and some in the summer to redo my flowerbeds...

WildlifeAg02
Discount Tire in Bryan had info about tire mulch last time I was in there.
TexAg1987
Lowes carries rubber mulch.

I have it in my beds and I am not a fan.

Going to switch back when I have the time to rake it out.

Leaves get caught in it and you can't blow them out without blowing rubber chunks everywhere.

At least with regular mulch you can top dress it every year to make the beds look better.
LunitadelNox
Previous homeowner put rubber mulch in the beds around my house. It's terrible. Would not recommend. It just slowly gets driven deeper and deeper into the soil and never breaks down, and my soil is terrible quality and drains poorly.

I've replaced the soil in some parts of the flower bed, and it was a massive pain (nor was it cheap).
carpe vinum
AG
Agree. I don't like it for mulch. May buy some for a little playground. Google around, some offer free shipping.
AgResearch
AG
Don't do it.

Agronomist/Weed Scientist, Ph.D.
studioone
so any other options to avoid having to haul and spread 25 tons of mulch? And I'm not kidding.. its about 25 tons... once sometimes twice a year...
toolshed
AG
What type of mulch have you been using?

Tires will heat the soil, same as the river rock mulching will. Rubber impacts the soils as mentioned above and is just unattractive.

A cedar or hardwood mulch will last you a little longer than a pine bark or shredded mulch. But mulches are meant to break down and provide nutrients in the soil in addition to helping the soils retain moisture and resist weed growth. So mulching is an ongoing task. Lots of beds and flowers means lots of mulch and maintenance.

aggiepaintrain
AG
I've used rubber mulch in my beds for about 3 years, we love it.
Brewmaster
AG
studioone said:

so any other options to avoid having to haul and spread 25 tons of mulch? And I'm not kidding.. its about 25 tons... once sometimes twice a year...
Big Event?

why are you having to re-mulch with 25 tons yearly? If it is breaking down fast, I'd look into cedar rough mulch. Ask around for single grind, it will break down much slower than the finely ground hardwood mulch. FYI it is a light brown, tannish color. Finely ground cedar mulch will still do the trick, but will probably break down quicker than single grind.

If a local has a bunch of cedar trees and is mulching them on site, that might be an option too. It is tough to find single grind here locally, very easy the closer you get to Austin or even Bastrop. We have cedar mulch down both sides of our house, no sod to over water, just happy plants

and side note: if anyone knows where to find single grind Cedar mulch locally I'm all ears!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.