2016 Taxes

1,318 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by SumAggie
montegobay
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We just received our bill. Our appraised value in Edelweiss Gartens went up by almost $20,000. Our tax bill total increased by $500 with a 10% increase in CSISD, and 14% for both county and city. This is crazy. Time for a big change in our escrow payment.
91_Aggie
AG
Is it too late to appeal? They sent out the estimate taxes a while back with a instruction sheet on how to appeal. I have no idea what the appeal process or deadline is, but you should have seen this coming with the previous mailing.

Mine is ridiculous as well, bought the house in '98 and the appraised value about 180% above that original NEW home sale price... but apparently if I put it on the market right now, it would sell within a day for above the tax appraised value.
AgDotCom
Your property taxes and their increases are driven primarily by the revenue each taxing entity requires (the whole pie).

The tax appraisal is not the cause of increased tax revenue needs, it is instead the knife which slices your share of the whole pie.

Tax protests only help if your property is inequitably appraised. You have a window to file your protest between May and July, depending on when the appraisal districts send your appraisal notice.

In short, the best way to trim your tax payments is to let your voice be heard during city, county and school district elections and during budget hearings. Once you hear the cases for and against the proposed budget, you can make a decision whether or not the accept the budget as valid and necessary or speak against excessive spending and tax increases.

It's a simple concept yet it is usually clouded by political rhetoric and obfuscation of facts (i.e. "but our tax rate has remained the same, our tax rate is one of the lowest in the state, etc.)
montegobay
I guess I overlooked or ignored the earlier statement. I just found it and the bill is a bit higher than the estimate. I guess this is why we can't have nice things
SumAggie
My taxes increased 10%. Government (ALL government) has an insatiable appetite for MORE MONEY.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.