Does anybody ever return calls in this town ????

13,340 Views | 96 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by AggiePirate
PLC guy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Frio Cielo said:

If a contractor has the time to answer the phone, he/she has the time to return a call in the next day or two.

Or don't answer the phone.

No excuses.

We / they are not answering the phone Mr. No Excuses. They're mad because they're leaving messages and no one is calling them back.
birdman
PLC and Builder93 seem proud of the work they do. And think their customer service is good enough.

Why don't you let me and others know what the names of your companies are? Take this opportunity to brag about yourselves.
The Original AG 76
AG
Frio Cielo said:

If a contractor business has the time to answer the phone create and place an AD, he/she has the time to return a call in the next day a week or two.

Or don't answer the phone advertise !

No excuses.

fixed
Frio Cielo
PLC guy said:

Frio Cielo said:

If a contractor has the time to answer the phone, he/she has the time to return a call in the next day or two.

Or don't answer the phone.

No excuses.

We / they are not answering the phone Mr. No Excuses. They're mad because they're leaving messages and no one is calling them back.

Obviously I was referring to returning calls from their voice mail messages. If they answered their phone and talked to the customer, they wouldn't havet o return the call in the next day or two.
PLC guy
Ok Frio my friend you're not getting it: there are too many calls to answer. Like many other businesses I have secretaries that answer the phone but they can't answer technical questions or meet with you or perform your project which is what you really desire. If a contractor is not calling you back then they have identified you and/or your project as a low priority. That offends you so you run off to TexAgs to vent.
FlyRod
The way this thread has progressed has renewed my appreciation for the local businesses that actually do care about the customer.

Hopefully others will catch up as growth brings competition to BCS in areas that need it.
techno-ag
halibut sinclair
Post removed:
by user
TellMeMore
Those who want these cities to continue to grow at such a fast pace with big city brands understand you will sacrifice customer service in the long run. You have the ultimate choice. Buy local.
FNG
Slocum on a mobile said:

FlyRod knocking it into the next ZIP Code.

What if it landed in another ballpark?!
MosesHallRAB83
AG
birdman said:

PLC and Builder93 seem proud of the work they do. And think their customer service is good enough.

Why don't you let me and others know what the names of your companies are? Take this opportunity to brag about yourselves.
Yes, please do then I will know who not to bother tying up your phone line with my business.

Karma will eventually catch up. Always does, always will.
PLC guy
dp
PLC guy
Quote:

Yes, please do then I will know who not to bother tying up your phone line with my business.

Nah. Please feel free to continue counting on "Karma" though.
MosesHallRAB83
AG
My name and address is already out there on these boards if you know where to look.

Edit: With plc's edit, not necessary and therefore removed.
Hammerheadjim
AG
Man, a whole lotta whine with the cheese on this thread. Just pick up the damn phone and call back. Common simply human courtesy.
Builder93
AG
BlueMiles said:

Hire a sales manager to take the calls?
I made the mistake of visiting this thread after a very busy work week, but here goes....

Most small time builders (read residential), like I said, are not at heart business people but craftsmen and are happy with just as much work as they can handle or they just don't understand how to grow a business. They, unlike many of the oh so wise on texags, don't have MBA's. They are service people who thought they could make it on their own.

Builder93
AG
MosesHallRAB83 said:

birdman said:

How many times do I have to say, "I am not in residential construction". I will not be serving you in that capacity and I honestly hope I never have to.

Your reading comprehension is severely lacking if you got the idea that I was accepting bad customer service. I was simply stating facts about the current business climate and giving reasons why things appear to be the way they are.

Builder93
AG
techno-ag said:

Builder93 said:

Your attitudes are telling. Sure, good customer service is great and I strive for it in my own business and when I worked in residential.

Right now this is the market. You can moan about it all you want, but you aren't going to force anyone to bow at your feet if they don't want to. They might go out of business if they continue to operate this way, they might not. That's up to them. They are not a government agency with a civic duty to call you back. You all sound like these people owe you when you haven't spent a dime yet. It may be rude to ignore you but that is their choice. It's called the free market.

I see a great business opportunity for one of you. Run with it. Make a business plan, get financing, staff up, advertise and make it happen. Or you can get on Texags and moan about it.
I agreed with some of your first post, but I don't think you've had to deal much with the frustration of finding contractors around here who are competent and will actually show up for work. Go back and read some of those posts. Very typical experiences.
I am in the construction business and I hire people to do work for me all the time. Yes, I know how frustrating it can be.

Builder93
AG
harrierdoc said:

PLC guy said:

I don't want to come off as angry because I'm really not. It is absolutely a blessing to be living in this community and to have more opportunities than I can handle. However, it's pretty obvious alot of consumers simply don't understand the market. I get advice from frustrated consumers all the time: "You can't get to my project for THREE MONTHS!!?? Well you need to hire some more PEOPLE!"

Obamacare has put a serious damper on the growth of businesses. No one wants to get to 50 employees and have to take on Obamacare and everyone is limiting their employees and the hours their employees work to stay beneath the minimums. It's just a fact. Secondly (yes I know this sounds arrogant - you PC people might want to look away but) a majority of Millennials just simply don't want to work. It's sad and people don't want to hear it but it's true. Who does want to work in construction and remodeling? The ones who do come from a different culture where excellent quality, customer service and workmanship are not as valued. Therefore they require more training, more organization and more supervision. Well who is going to do that, especially if I am constantly on the phone?

Now, you are confusing the subject. If I were to call a contractor and they told me they could not start the job 43 or 6 or 8 months, whatever, then I would know I need to look elsewhere and thank them for their time.

What the complaint is, however, is that you have contractors or other service providers advertising, saying that they want your business, and then don't even have the courtesy to return the call. As someone who called Kama I wonder if they received the call, if I missed a call, or other possible scenarios. A simple return phone call saying we are not taking business at this time would be more than sufficient.

We are getting ready to build a house, working with a local architect. I know that, once we complete the plans, I'm going to expect at least a six-month delay before a contractor is even able to start on the project, and what used to probably take 12 months, will be an 18-month process, because of all the subcontractor issues in the community. Fact is, these expectations have been set out clearly early in the process, and I know what to expect. That's all anybody is asking, is communication.

Saying all of that, I have often thought that if somebody was a good business person and could run a general contractor's office comma with good customer service, they would make a killing in this community. However, I don't know anything about the contracting business, or know where to start to begin this process.
So, it's quite the conundrum.

Seriously, this is a wonderful business opportunity. Set everything up and get ready to make some money because you are going to sell many more jobs than the next guy. You will call everyone back and be the talk of the town until:

• Your labor shows up (or doesn't) every other Monday with the brown bottle flu and you realize that the guy you just hired for drywall hadn't actually cleared up that DUI from a year ago.
  • What, Mr. roofer? This insurance certificate is forged? Who would have thought?
  • Your plumber is set for Tuesday, but the other 15 jobs he promised aren't going as planned so it might be a while.
  • Guess what, the electrician just got hired on 2 big money commercial jobs where he doesn't have to listen to your wife go on for an hour about the exact placement of the recessed lights.
  • The concrete guy just lost his 3 best workers when they decided to go back to Mexico early. Lo siento, senor. See you next semana.
  • Remember the customer who accepted no excuses? He agreed to have selected all of his tile and granite by last week but he didn't because he was going to go to the showroom on Saturday and he got Aggie football tickets instead. Now you have to wait another 3 weeks to order the tile from Morocco.

But hey, you just hire more people to manage all of this until you have completely priced yourself out of the market.

Still, you are back to the same problem.......massive shortage of skilled labor, which is what gets the job done.

PS. All real life situations.

*edit for readability
Counterpoint
AG
The Original AG 76 said:

BigBubba said:

Great, this post just made me give up on the idea of calling somebody to see about an addition to our house.
oh you can get an addition built just be prepared to spend 50% more than a new build and take forever. Might consider tearing your place down and starting over.
Yes but who can he hire to tear the place down?
JB
AG
Builder93 said:

Seriously, this is a wonderful business opportunity. Set everything up and get ready to make some money because you are going to sell many more jobs than the next guy. You will call everyone back and be the talk of the town until:

• Your labor shows up (or doesn't) every other Monday with the brown bottle flu and you realize that the guy you just hired for drywall hadn't actually cleared up that DUI from a year ago.
  • What, Mr. roofer? This insurance certificate is forged? Who would have thought?
  • Your plumber is set for Tuesday, but the other 15 jobs he promised aren't going as planned so it might be a while.
  • Guess what, the electrician just got hired on 2 big money commercial jobs where he doesn't have to listen to your wife go on for an hour about the exact placement of the recessed lights.
  • The concrete guy just lost his 3 best workers when they decided to go back to Mexico early. Lo siento, senor. See you next semana.
  • Remember the customer who accepted no excuses? He agreed to have selected all of his tile and granite by last week but he didn't because he was going to go to the showroom on Saturday and he got Aggie football tickets instead. Now you have to wait another 3 weeks to order the tile from Morocco.

But hey, you just hire more people to manage all of this until you have completely priced yourself out of the market.

Still, you are back to the same problem.......massive shortage of skilled labor, which is what gets the job done.

PS. All real life situations.

*edit for readability
I can relate to most every one of those examples. I am in multi-family now, which has its own challenges, but not nearly as frustrating as residential remodel contracting.
techno-ag
AG
Pro tip. For installation of appliances, carpet and such, at home or with rentals, I like to use the big stores' contractors (Sears, Lowe's, HD). Then if they mess up or don't show (rarely), I've got somebody to yell at they'll listen to since those are lucrative contracts. Likewise for plumbing and such I like to go with a company instead of an independent contractor. The guy who hires people is more likely to get somebody out to me, whereas an independent contractor is only answerable to himself.
halibut sinclair
FlyRod
FNG
tgivaughn
AG
http://pages.suddenlink.net/tgivaughn/
If not responding same day, certainly by email @ dawn coffeetime, this studio - ALWAYS
Gratis: lots of residential answers & even initial meeting
Ask for our PDF full of insights.
TIP: always leave your email (slowly in message) or make initial contact via email - to avoid phone tag & hang ups on your recorder
AggiePirate
AG
FNG said:

The Original AG 76 said:

It's not just contractors , even though they are the worst. I can't even get dog trainers to call back !!

Use a dog whistle to reach them!
Yes, you have to beat them each time they miss a call until they get the idea.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.