Anywhere to buy ethanol free gas?

3,973 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by SARATOGA
Tim Weaver
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Does anyone know of a place? I'm going through a car from 1967 that hasn't run in 20+ years. I want to get it started ethanol-free to see the general health of the motor before progressing on to getting it road ready....

Thanks!
duffelpud
AG
Take a 5 gallon can to Coulter airfield and ask for avgas. You'll need to supply an aircraft N number like, say, N757AF.
Kendall Rogers
AG
I think that Ike's small engine shop does.
The Original AG 76
AG
If you only need a few gallons to get started you can get those 1 gal cans of gas at the big box stores that are ethanol free. Might want to talk to someone at the John Deere place to see if they have a source.
UmustBKidding
Race track
KD Timmons had 55Gal drums
malibu9in1
It should still run on pump gas. I would think. Might need more timing?
GSS
The available fuel being unleaded is typically more of a concern than the ethanol content. Older style valve systems benefited from the lead content (valve seats in particular).

That said, ethanol is basically evil to systems not designed for it (hoses, seals, etc).
cslifer
The race track sells ethanol free gas, as well as 110 octane leaded gas.
AgDotCom
cslifer said:

Thank you. Do you have more details on this, like what days / times you can buy it ....or is it open pretty much during any working days and hours?

I want to buy it for my lawn equipment, I've taken a stuff in to Ike's for repair that used to last decades but now doesn't, even the new equipment doesn't. They told me ethanol the #1 cause of equipment failure today. The stuff they sell at Lowe's works but it's a pain to buy in 5-10 gallon quantities.
malibu9in1
I knew about the soft valve seats. But I figured it would run somewhat.
Tim Weaver
malibu9in1 said:

I knew about the soft valve seats. But I figured it would run somewhat.
I'm not worried about the valve seats. In fact valve seats in older motors have not shown the type of wear that people thought they would.

My issue is 40+ year old gaskets and seals. The ethanol will eat right through those things in short order. I want to fire it up, listen to it and do a compression check on it before deciding if I'm keeping the motor or not. If I am, then I'll go through the fuel system and replace everything. I just don't want to spend that amount of effort on it if the motor is toast....
cslifer
You can buy it any time that they have something going, usually every Saturday and Sunday. Not sure if they take credit cards, way back when it was cash only.
malibu9in1
What are you working on?
GSS
AgDotCom said:

cslifer said:

Thank you. Do you have more details on this, like what days / times you can buy it ....or is it open pretty much during any working days and hours?

I want to buy it for my lawn equipment, I've taken a stuff in to Ike's for repair that used to last decades but now doesn't, even the new equipment doesn't. They told me ethanol the #1 cause of equipment failure today. The stuff they sell at Lowe's works but it's a pain to buy in 5-10 gallon quantities.
Coleman camp fuel (or equivalent) is another source for ethanol-free gas.
UmustBKidding
Coleman camp fuel is not gasoline. It's naphtha. Some camp stove fuels are "white gas" and most stoves will run unleaded gasoline (even jp4 jet fuel) it does not mean it's suitable for motor fuel. And what is sold as white gas varies widely by country and manufacturer. Unless you have the msds in hand that shows the hydrocarbon mix don't assume camp fuel even if labeled white gas is even close to.gasoline.
oklaunion
Rick's Golf Carts out on 30 sells it out of a drum. Not cheap, about $6.50/gal but a lot cheaper than buying the quarts at the aforementioned places.
I didn't know Timmons carried it. Need to check that out for future reference.
Tim Weaver
malibu9in1 said:

What are you working on?

A 1967 Galaxie 500 2 door fastback. Its got an FE motor (probably 390), 4 speed, and a 4 barrel. That stuff was added sometime in the past. Vin code says it was a base model car. All manual brakes and steering and a 289/3 speed originally.
malibu9in1
Awesome sounds like a race car back in the day? Maybe it has a aluminum bumpers and body??
Tim Weaver
No its all steel. I think it was somebodies hot rod though. Its going to be fun either way!
Code Monkey
TWS fuel pumps take credit cards.
SARATOGA
See ya'll.... The racetrack is providing a public service. Just leave the racetrack alone.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.