College Station elections, who to vote for? [Staff Warning 10-11-16]

11,363 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Stupe
Pinata Man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
+1 for Barry Moore!
Mr. Griswold
kraut said:

Mr. Griswold said:

The police officers are supporting his opponent, Linda Harvell.
Do you know who they are supporting in the other races?
They are supporting Karl Mooney for mayor.
BigBubba
AG
Mooney vs Nichols for mayor. Seeing that both have been on City Council for several years, does anybody have some good examples of where they voted opposite of each other on issues? Just thinking this might give a good example of what to expect from them as mayor.
CS78
BigBubba said:

Seeing that both have been on City Council for several years, does anybody have some good examples of where they voted opposite of each other on issues?

This would be really nice to have.

I know Mooney voted against the multi-family housing going in behind Shenandoah. I believe there were over 500 home owners that signed opposition against apartments being built near their homes and most of the council ignored their wishes. That was a little disappointing. I do not know how Nichols voted but maybe someone can tell us. FWIW, Mooney is a strong proponent of neighborhood preservation.
Carnwellag2
CS78 said:

BigBubba said:

FWIW, Mooney is a strong opponent of neighborhood preservation.

are you saying he is against preserving neighborhoods???
CS78
Carnwellag2 said:

CS78 said:

BigBubba said:

FWIW, Mooney is a strong opponent of neighborhood preservation.

are you saying he is against preserving neighborhoods???

Doh! Dern autocorrect got me. Sorry and fixed.
BigBubba
AG
CS78 said:

I know Mooney voted against the multi-family housing going in behind Shenandoah. .... I do not know how Nichols voted but maybe someone can tell us.
Good example, any others?

I googled this. There were three significant rezoning requests this year. Council rejected two of them but did approve the Arrington Rd/Decatur rezoning in a 5-2 vote with Mooney being one of the 2 voting against it. So Mooney voted NO on all of the rezoning requests but Nichols voted NO on the first two and YES on the last one.

I will resist the temptation to say whether that puts me in the Mooney or Nichols group since I don't want to derail this thread.

Here is an Eagle article that discusses the last rezoning and has links to articles regarding the other two. http://www.theeagle.com/news/local/college-station-city-council-oks-multifamily-rezoning-request-at-arrington/article_7bc63306-5e5f-5d36-b369-cd742c9dfed7.html
SoTheySay
S
Nichols responded to my questions regarding Phillips Square. I do not know which way he voted in the rezoning request in 2015 but I believe he voted against the original rezoning.
veritas47
Does having experience in athletic administration really qualify you to be mayor?
CEAg78
AG
veritas47 said:

Does having experience in athletic administration really qualify you to be mayor?
Maybe. It is a volunteer position. And both candidates have been dedicated volunteers.
Ornlu
AG
BigBubba said:

Does anybody have some good examples of where they voted opposite of each other on issues?
Sure, from just last week. http://wtaw.com/2016/10/14/college-station-council-approves-permit-food-truck-court-northgate/

Quote:

College Station city council approved general regulations to create areas for food trucks [in Northgate].

Voting for the permit were Nancy Berry, John Nichols, Julie Schultz, Blanche Brick, and James Benham. Voting no were Karl Mooney and Steve Aldrich.
Most of the councils decisions are unanimous but when it occasionally splits, that's usually how it goes. Barry/Nichols/Benham vs Mooney/Aldrich with Schultz and Brick as the swing voters. Mooney and Nichols are on opposite sides of the fence. Just my (admittedly biased) opinion, but I think Mooney's opposed to anything that makes money.
kraut
AG
Ornlu said:

BigBubba said:

Does anybody have some good examples of where they voted opposite of each other on issues?
Sure, from just last week. http://wtaw.com/2016/10/14/college-station-council-approves-permit-food-truck-court-northgate/

Quote:

College Station city council approved general regulations to create areas for food trucks [in Northgate].

Voting for the permit were Nancy Berry, John Nichols, Julie Schultz, Blanche Brick, and James Benham. Voting no were Karl Mooney and Steve Aldrich.
Most of the councils decisions are unanimous but when it occasionally splits, that's usually how it goes. Barry/Nichols/Benham vs Mooney/Aldrich with Schultz and Brick as the swing voters. Mooney and Nichols are on opposite sides of the fence. Just my (admittedly biased) opinion, but I think Mooney's opposed to anything that makes money.
I actually watched the food truck court discussion (yea, don't judge) and it sounds like a great concept for northgate. I can't wait to see it open.
SoTheySay
S
I simply can't be for anyone who is against food trucks.
Scruffy
AG
I voted.
Thanks to all who contributed on this thread.

I urge y'all to go vote as well.
It is your Right, and your Duty.
Omega6464
Just FYI, the Police Officers Association has decided NOT to endorse a candidate in the CS mayoral race.
Clo004
And you got this information where?
kraut
AG
Heard the ad for Joe Guerra this morning, saying the Eagle was impressed with his credentials and experience. I went and looked up their recommendation page, and...well, I'll just post the full quote below:

Quote:

Guerra has impressive credentials and experience, but transportation is only part of the agenda facing the city council.

Moore has a background as a businessman and experience on the Planning and Zoning Commission. He understands the needs of a rapidly growing city.

The Eagle recommends a vote for Barry Moore for Place 4 on the College Station City Council.

Why even bring up what the Eagle says about you in an ad if they didn't end up endorsing you?!?
SoTheySay
S
Because the average person won't check.
BarryMoore
kraut said:

Heard the ad for Joe Guerra this morning, saying the Eagle was impressed with his credentials and experience. I went and looked up their recommendation page, and...well, I'll just post the full quote below:

Quote:

Guerra has impressive credentials and experience, but transportation is only part of the agenda facing the city council.

Moore has a background as a businessman and experience on the Planning and Zoning Commission. He understands the needs of a rapidly growing city.

The Eagle recommends a vote for Barry Moore for Place 4 on the College Station City Council.

Why even bring up what the Eagle says about you in an ad if they didn't end up endorsing you?!?
Stupe
S
Top for election eve.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.