College Station elections, who to vote for? [Staff Warning 10-11-16]

11,314 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Stupe
Scruffy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Since we have a thread for Bryan, I'd like to ask about CS.

I don't know anything about who's running for what.

Can someone give a rundown and basic information?
Thanks.

[Posters on this thread will remain respectful and will only make posts that add to the conversation. Any post that has to be removed due to trolling, posters being rude, or posters going over the top with sarcasm may also result in the poster being banned for 30 days. Be adults or don't post. There is the warning. -Staff]

CEAg78
AG
Mayor (General Election)
Full three-year term.
Karl P. Mooney
John Nichols

Place 2 (General Election)
Full three-year term.
Jerome Rektorik

Place 3 (Special Election)
One-year term to complete the unexpired term of Karl Mooney, who is running for mayor. The current term expires in November 2017.
Linda Harvell
Jeremy Osborne

Place 4 (Special Election)
Two-year term to complete the unexpired term of John Nichols, who is running for mayor. The current term expires in November 2018.
Joe Guerra Jr
Barry Moore

Scruffy
AG
Thanks staff.

I just know of a guy last name Moore (I think) that some friends seem to like on Facebook.
I'm really wanting some names and info here.
This will be my first time voting for local elections (though I've lived here for years).
Scruffy
AG
Thanks
CEAg78
AG
http://cstx.gov/index.aspx?page=2791

This page shows who's running for what. If you click the link for each, you get a list of documents filed. One of them will show who is the campaign treasurer. Many familiar names there.

Use that as you will.
CS78
Thanks for posting. I just wish there was a simple way to find the basic leanings and fundamentals of people running for local election. I usually end up not voting because I can't even find out what these people stand for.
cz308
CS78 said:

Thanks for posting. I just wish there was a simple way to find the basic leanings and fundamentals of people running for local election. I usually end up not voting because I can't even find out what these people stand for.

Amen. We are the same way. I couldn't tell you one single thing about any of them.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
WTAW and the Chamber of Commerce will have forums to allow the candidates to speak for themselves and, hopefully, allow voters to make an informed decision.
carpe vinum
AG
http://brazosvotes.org/sites/all/themes/creative-responsive-theme/images/SampleBallotGeneralPDF.pdf
Scruffy
AG
CS78 said:

This is why I'm asking here.
Scruffy
AG
At least it looks like I can write in Gen Mattis for president.
Scruffy
AG
CEAg78 said:

http://cstx.gov/index.aspx?page=2791

This page shows who's running for what. If you click the link for each, you get a list of documents filed. One of them will show who is the campaign treasurer. Many familiar names there.

Use that as you will.

I'm on my phone so the pages are crap.
Also it doesn't show anything about them. Platform, outlook, etc.

Thanks though.
clinte234
AG
The only candidate that I know this year is Barry Moore running for City Council.

Barry is a great guy with a tremendous family. His family goes back several generations in BCS.

Obviously I am biased but I can tell you that he is very genuine and understands the population in College Station...I have no doubt that he will do a fantastic job representing this community!
CS78
clinte234 said:

Barry is a great guy with a tremendous family. His family goes back several generations in BCS.

Obviously I am biased but I can tell you that he is very genuine and understands the population in College Station...I have no doubt that he will do a fantastic job representing this community!

Clinte, please do not take this negatively but the description you gave sounds exactly like the typical things that are said about all politicians. It really tells people nothing. Id like to know if their political beliefs are in line with mine but its like these guys are afraid to put that out there.
carpe vinum
AG
Tell me more about his Moore lineage in BCS, which Moores are he kin to?
clinte234
AG
I would definitely describe Barry as fiscally conservative.

He is related to Bubba Moore who was very well known in the area!

There are more details at on his Facebook page and website:

www.MooreForCS.com
BlueMiles
AG
Making the link clickable
www.MooreForCS.com
CS78
Can anyone tell us about the mayor candidates? Is there a way to find their voting record with the council? First glance, they look very similar?
Mr. Griswold
Karl Mooney is extremely pro-law enforcement and will be getting my vote for mayor. All the city police officers know Mr. Mooney very well through him and his wife's volunteer work (they are both extremely active in MADD and other anti-drunk driving projects).

Linda Harvell will also be getting my vote. She too spends an incredible amount of time volunteering for the police department and helping out with community events. She also runs the well-known "I Love Texas" Facebook page and a Texas memorabilia webstore.
nonag97
CEAg78 said:

Mayor (General Election)
Full three-year term.
Karl P. Mooney - http://www.mooneyformayor.com/
John Nichols - http://nicholsformayor.com/

Place 2 (General Election)
Full three-year term.
Jerome Rektorik - http://jeromerektorik.com/

Place 3 (Special Election)
One-year term to complete the unexpired term of Karl Mooney, who is running for mayor. The current term expires in November 2017.
Linda Harvell - http://49530.campaignpartner.net/
Jeremy Osborne - http://www.votejeremyosborne.com/

Place 4 (Special Election)
Two-year term to complete the unexpired term of John Nichols, who is running for mayor. The current term expires in November 2018.
Joe Guerra Jr - http://www.jguerra4council.com/
Barry Moore - http://www.mooreforcs.com/

threecatcorner
Thanks for adding links to all their websites.
bcsbell
Eagles just reported their contributions and expenditures.

http://www.theeagle.com/news/local/nichols-has-spent-more-on-college-station-mayoral-race/article_ae24dba9-5dcb-5d5e-bed6-da5a6039cd36.html

It is recommended to read the whole report and the last comment:

"College Stations politics has for a long time been dominated by developers vs. the rest of us. No one makes this clearer than the Moore vs. Guerra race. Moore's a partner partner with Stafford Barrett Commercial Brokerage.and all his contributions seem to be coming from developers. From now on when you see those big yellow signs around time, think "paid for by the developers who want to make a lot of money on real estate development and want you to pay the costs."
313-7-12thMan
Can you elaborate on "developers want you to pay the cost"?
carpe vinum
AG
Ordinarily I would be all in favor of new development paying rather than everyone else.
Then I remember the enterprise funds set up to make a profit so new and replacement infrastructure has a fund set aside.
Then I remember the City Council has systematically robbed those funds year after year for decades.
Pick your poison, they are both frauds.
Scruffy
AG
I didn't ask for who to vote for, I asked for information.
I dont know who's running.
Nor where to find their websites or other information.
That has been provided here.
I will look it over and decide.
I'm sure others will too.
FNG
Scruffy said:

I didn't ask for who to vote for, I asked for information.
I dont know who's running.
Nor where to find their websites or other information.
That has been provided here.
I will look it over and decide.
I'm sure others will too.

I understood the point of your post just fine and think it was a good idea. You asked for info. You didn't run around like a Banty rooster telling people to "trust" whomever they recommend and worship.

This has been an informative thread.

Coveted blue diamond for you.
AgDotCom
313-7-12thMan said:

Can you elaborate on "developers want you to pay the cost"?
I doubt he or she can or will, but I'd like to see a response that we can discuss.

A certain old guard political clique throws this misinformation out there during many if not most city council elections, thinking people will bite and vote in the alarmists' favor.

My Hugh Stearns remark was in response to an opinion piece that appeared in The Eagle, I would guess around 10 years ago, which argued that Post Oak Mall costs the city of CS money instead of making money for the city. The argument was based on a study of an Ohio property and involved some alien cost or tax like a worker insurance tax or something that doesn't exist in Texas and an analysis which didn't come close to emulating tax revenue models in Texas. I wish I could find that piece, but google draws a blank.

When it opened in 1982, Post Oak Mall was projected at that time to generate $1.12 million in sales and property taxes for the city and another $1 million in utility bills. Now 34 years later, at 777,000 sq. ft. and average mall sales somewhere between $400-475 / sq. ft., the city's portion of sales tax being 1.5% of taxable sales (if I'm not mistaken), throw in today's property taxes and utility bills, and ........well do the math and decide for yourself if the costs to CS for city services at the mall is greater than the revenue received from it. Also worth considering is why cities go out of their way to court retail centers, as well as quality development in general, if they are money losers.

I welcome corrections to my numbers if I'm in error. I also apologize in advance if I appear combative, but when people throw anything out there just to see if it sticks, it affects the tenor of the response.
bcsbell
The city is not just about how to make money, it needs to consider sustainability, environment and our neighborhood. Such as one of the most high density franking areas around Brazos..............Now can you image that we have an oil drilling next to 2818?

Again, old eagle reports:
http://eaglefordtexas.com/news/id/137734/college-station-city-council-approves-new-drilling-well/

"The wells are near Cain Road between Old Wellborn Road and Holleman Drive South, close to a residential area, but far enough away to meet ordinance requirements."

Poor citizens who live there got only one vote for them!

What if this is on Highway 30 close to William creek and pebble creek? The conclusion is quite simple, you just need to make a choice to live in a deed restriction area!

Of course the developer will get you to pay for the cost. They make money, the city makes money and you don't. Unless you work for the developer and the city.

The recent hearing on oil well ordinances:

http://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/College-Station-To-Consider-Updating-Oil-and-Gas-Ordinance-at-Thursday-Meeting-289505021.html

"Modern fracking technology with horizontal drilling and slick order chemistry produces far more oil and gas per well and far more pollution per well than anything we've seen in College Station up until last year," said Kevin Burgess, a Texas A&M Organic Chemistry Professor.

Folks, do you own study. If you don't study, do not blame the bully as you have not rallied yourself against bully.
RafterAg223
AG
Staff needs to lock this thread. Everyone had done an excellent job of keeping this thread solely about election information. One poster has decided to go ahead and turn this in to a propaganda party. This thread was not started to push agendas. Lord knows plenty of other threads on this forum have and will continue to exist to serve those purposes.
Scruffy
AG
Agree CEag78 did a great job with listing and links.
Maybe get it locked and stickied at the top for those who want information.
bcsbell
Sorry I did not plan to expand the discussion to unrelated issues.But I cannot stop it by seeing real numbers.

I guess it is up to the forum administrator that the discussion content is appropriate or not. I am fine with deleting my later post by the forum administrator but he or she needs to be fair.
kraut
AG
Seen quite a bit of yellow and black signs from the fire fighters supporting Jeremy Osborne. Does anyone know who in the other races they are endorsing?
Mr. Griswold
The police officers are supporting his opponent, Linda Harvell.
kraut
AG
Mr. Griswold said:

The police officers are supporting his opponent, Linda Harvell.
Do you know who they are supporting in the other races?
BarryMoore
Howdy. Thanks for creating this thread to make all of our (the candidates) information available in one place. I wanted to answer the question above by sharing that I've been endorsed by The College Station Professional Firefighters' Association and The B/CS Regional Association of Realtors.

To date, the Police Officers Association has not endorsed a candidate in the race for Place 4 (my race) and the Firefighters Association has not endorsed a candidate in the C.S. Mayoral race.

I don't want to risk "advertising" for free on TexAgs but I thought I could answer some of the questions that have been asked above. Thanks again for your interest in our local elections.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.