Eagle and KBTX and recent accidents with injuries or deaths

6,060 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Jimmy&^
tamufan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So I have notice the names posted of a citizen arrested for striking a police officer.
I have seen the names posted of a citizen (teenager) pointing a firearm out of a vehicle.
I have NOT noticed the name of the individual who ran a red light, hit a scooter, injured a person, and left the scene of the accident. Who did this?
I have NOT noticed the name of the individual driving a College Station garbage truck that drove over a female Aggie student cyclist. Who did this?
What is the policy at The Eagle and KBTX with respect to naming the individuals involved in criminal activities such as leaving the scene of an accident? What is the policy regarding naming those who kill, no doubt accidentally, a bicyclist?
Will the initial stories ever be updated? How long is the waiting time?
Leaving the scene of an accident is a crime. Did the scooter red light runner not leave the scene? The story seems to indicate he did. Why do we not know more? This certainly seems like "local" news.
The garbage truck driver -- and if ever there is a tragedy this is probably it -- is also a story not updated for several weeks. Why? We care about the identities in other stories. What is going on here?
redd38
AG
Why do you want to know the garbage truck driver's name?
The Anchor
AG
Maybe call them if you want those answers?
tamufan
So ... not public information.

Call whom"

And .. what is the policy on naming those accused of crimes. Slapping a cop, you get named. Running a red light, leaving the scene, injuring a person, you do not get named. Hitting a cyclist, killing her, you do not get named. Is that the policy?
Oogway
Perhaps individuals have not been named due to ongoing investigations? The media published the names of those involved in the tragic Sigma Nu death as arrests were made and additional charges filed.
Better to get it right and publish than get it wrong...
DBSwooper
quote:

Better to get it right and publish than get it wrong...

Since when has being factual mattered to KBTX or The Eagle?
carpe vinum
AG
Mike Wright will probably chime in with a clear explanation for KBTX.
I'm not sure anyone at the Eagle could figure out how to log in.
OnlyANobody
You're right. There just are some differences in how things and what things are reported.
theeagle
AG
tamufan, we generally base the decision to name someone on the severity of the crime, but there are always other factors involved.
Assaulting a police officer is a felony, running a red light is not.
The sanitation truck driver has not been identified by authorities, and he hasn't been charged with a crime, but we continue to follow the tragic story.
We also don't name suspects in sexual assault cases when it could identify the victims, such as when they're related.
I hope that answers your question. Feel free to call or email me any time to discuss, and thanks for reading The Eagle.

Darren Benson
Managing Editor
The Eagle | theeagle.com
darren.benson@theeagle.com
979-731-4653
tamufan
"Leaving the scene of an accident involving death or serious injury is a third-degree felony, punishable by 2 to 10 years in a state prison. If the injury is not serious, it is a felony punishable by up to one year in a county jail or up to five years in a state prison and/or a fine of up to $5,000." (http://www.mytexasdefenselawyer.com/texas-criminal-laws-penalties/hit-and-run/)

In the story printed in The Eagle you indicate that a person ran a red light, injured someone rather severely, and left the scene. So, not just running a red light. Was he charged with a felony? If so, who was he? If not, would the lack of charges constitute news? Citizens, and your readers, might want to know the reason for any lack of charges in such a case.

Regarding non-felony names in The Eagle (from July 2015):

"The DPS official said that investigating prostitution is important so that law enforcement has the opportunity to discover those who may be victims of human trafficking and not participating of their own free will.
Among those arrested were:
  • Tiffanie Cedillo, 24, from College Station
  • Bethany Portela, 22, from Huntsville
  • Victoria Parker, 21, from Bryan
  • Crystal Williams, 28, from Cedar Hill
  • Twylisha Williams, 23. from Bryan
  • Lindsay Rayburn, 33, from Fritch
  • Ashley Salazar, 28, from Waco
  • Kinnedy Williams, 18, from Bryan
All of the women were charged with Class B misdemeanors for prostitution, with the exception of Crystal Williams, who was charged with a Class A misdemeanor due to a previous prostitution conviction. Kinnedy Williams was also charged with possession of a controlled substance, a state jail felony, and possession of marijuanna, a Class B misdemeanor." [Source: The Eagle website. Just search prostitution sting.]

So, The Eagle prints names -- with pictures! -- of some charged with misdemeanors. Shames them, I am sure. Readers are curious; we want to know what does a prostitute look like. I do not complain about this. Shaming has its place, as does satisfying the curiosity of your readers. But where is the consistency?

A red light runner, especially one so callous as to leave a person he injured, is more of a danger to my health than is any prostitute.
redd38
AG
Not sure why my previous post was deleted, it contained the info you're look for.

[It was deleted because you decided that an insult was needed at the end of your post. We aren't going to take the time to edit individual sentences in a post just because a poster won't remain civil. We will remove the entire post. It is that simple and it is not a new rule. -Staff]

If there was an arrest then they'll print the name, if there wasn't an arrest then they won't print the name. The red light guy wasn't arrested so they didn't print his name. If you have a problem with the non-arrest then you have a problem with the police department, not the news outlets. Those prostitutes were arrested, so they printed the names. It's pretty easy to figure out, very consistent.
TLIAC
AG
quote:
Not sure why my previous post was deleted, it contained the info you're look for.

If there was an arrest then they'll print the name, if there wasn't an arrest then they won't print the name. The red light guy wasn't arrested so they didn't print his name. If you have a problem with the non-arrest then you have a problem with the police department, not the news outlets. Those prostitutes were arrested, so they printed the names. It's pretty easy to figure out, very consistent.
And just because there wasn't an arrest at the time of the incident, doesn't mean that there will not be one. Many times the case will be assigned back to an officer or detective for follow up. After they gather all of the facts they present the case to either the County Attorney's Office or District Attorney's Office depending on the level of the offense. The CA or DA will either accept the charges or refuse the case. If they accept the charges, a warrant will be issued for the arrest of the individual(s).
theeagle
AG
tamufan, you are correct. The Eagle does print names -- with pictures -- of some people who commit misdemeanors. We don't have a hard and fast rule, I was simply using the examples you provided. If you'll notice in my previous reply, I said "there are always others factors involved." That means, in general, it's a case-by-case basis. But the other posters are correct as well, if no one has been charged with a crime, we will not print the name.
Again, feel free to call if you'd like to discuss further. I can offer other examples of when and why we'd print names and when and why we wouldn't.
Darren Benson
The Eagle
Jimmy&^
Eagle and KBTX doing local crime news with some description of thugs,that would be something new and needed for BCS. More so for KBTX.

http://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Police-investigating-robbery-at-Saddlewood-Apartments-395302891.html
By Noelle Bellow |
Posted: Thu 1:42 PM, Sep 29, 2016

BRYAN, Tex. (KBTX) - A Bryan man is recovering after being jumped by a group of men inside the Saddlewood Apartment complex.
It all happened Thursday just after midnight at the complex on Wellborn Road.
The 21-year-old told police he was walking when three to four men assaulted him and took his money.
The victim was taken to the hospital with minor injuries.
No arrests have been made and an investigation is ongoing.

tamufan
So, The Eagle tells the public that an adult man ran a red light, struck a woman on a scooter, put her in the hospital, did not render aid, and in fact left the scene of the accident. He was reportedly found quite a distance from the accident.

The Eagle tells us (on this website) that it has not printed his name because he was not charged with a crime. Given the circumstances reported in the paper, that in itself would seem a bit surprising, and deserving of an explanation.

I can't help but wonder what an investigative journalist would do when faced with these facts.

In any case, I am out. It appears I may be alone in thinking The Eagle owes its readers more information on this situation, and it seems The Eagle does not think this is a subject of interest to the public.

Thanks to all for the informative exchange of information; quite illuminating.
redd38
AG
Yeah Eagle! Why don't you have more investigative journalists working traffic accidents?
DimeBox17
AG
tamufan- I get where you're coming from in regards to no name given for the hit and run accident. But I'm also wondering why you are so hung up on this topic? The girl, who seems to be a friend or relative of yours should have acted differently and her face/name wouldn't be posted.
FNG
I'm interested in the hit and run case as well. It's ridiculous they didn't put the name of the guy in the news.

He was leaving campus at lunchtime in a truck. He hit the girl on the scooter. He took off with the scooter dragging under his truck and then took off on foot.

My guess is he has priors or outstanding warrants and didn't want to be caught. Maybe the vehicle was stolen or not his. Maybe he was under the influence.

Perhaps he worked on a construction project on campus and was worried he would be in huge trouble with his employer for running a red light and hitting a student. And then would be drug tested for suspicion and fired.

Maybe the employer really didn't want bad press and requested his name not be published so he could not be tied to them.

When people run from an accident, especially in the manner in which he did, there is more to the story than "I freaked because I was scared and worried".

Local media should let the rest of us know who was driving so we can avoid hiring him in the future.
redd38
AG
FNG said:

Local media should let the rest of us know who was driving so we can avoid hiring him in the future.

Do you not do a background check on new employees?
FNG
redd38 said:

FNG said:

Nah.

Post their license plate on Automotive and their name on Old Rivalries and I you can find out all you need. Their life may get ruined in the process, but it's worth the savings of an actual background check.
Jimmy&^
FNG said:

redd38 said:

FNG said:

Nah.

Post their license plate on Automotive and their name on Old Rivalries and I you can find out all you need. Their life may get ruined in the process, but it's worth the savings of an actual background check.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.