BISD-Superintendent

19,788 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Slocum on a mobile
MosesHallRAB83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I tend to agree, but he had several avenues of recourse to avoid speaking to them. He did not use them.
JaxDad
AG
Serious response. What if you learned that he showed up after hours at teachers houses (unannounced) that had his children as a student to complain about their grades. How would you feel about that? or for some work related matter?
BigBubba
AG
quote:
Serious response. What if you learned that he showed up after hours at teachers houses (unannounced) that had his children as a student to complain about their grades. How would you feel about that?
That would be unacceptable and very inappropriate.
isitjustme
AG
I have no personal beef with Wallis.

But for the past 5 years, he has embraced the media spotlight. He can't expect that spotlight to be automatically turned off just because things aren't going his way. It may be tough for him both professionally and personally, but KBTX wasn't out of bounds sending Rusty to his house.

He could have made the "I want privacy" statement last week but he chose to duck and cover. That rarely works out for people who have used the media like he has.
Frio Cielo
quote:
I have no personal beef with Wallis.

But for the past 5 years, he has embraced the media spotlight. He can't expect that spotlight to be automatically turned off just because things aren't going his way. It may be tough for him both professionally and personally, but KBTX wasn't out of bounds sending Rusty to his house.

He could have made the "I want privacy" statement last week but he chose to duck and cover. That rarely works out for people who have used the media like he has.

A person should not have to make an "I want privacy" statement to have privacy on their private property.

That's why we call it private property.

Mike should initiate a policy for KBTX employees to never go onto private residential property unless there is permission given or there is truly an emergency situation that is newsworthy.

Frio Cielo
quote:
quote:
Serious response. What if you learned that he showed up after hours at teachers houses (unannounced) that had his children as a student to complain about their grades. How would you feel about that?
That would be unacceptable and very inappropriate.

Of course it would be wrong. A school administrator should follow all rules of the school.
JM13
Don't feel sorry for the guy, anyone that's worked with or under him is fully aware of his intimidation and bully tactics. He comes off as nice, I promise you he's not. And if the story ever comes out on why these things are happening, nobody will feel sorry for him
victory
AG
If you are in a public position and get paid in the neighborhood of $230,000 a year of taxpayer money dont put yourself in a position to be placed on leave. Its pretty simple. I don't feel sorry for him at all, he did this to himself. Don't forget about that world "Accountability" folks.

The look on his face is pretty telling when he opened the door. His face got red quick.
Post removed:
by user
Ratsa
What's become of our world that people think it appropriate to answer the door with a shotgun? Comments like this make me think twice about knocking on someone's door for an innocent reason, such as delivering a piece of mail that was delivered to me by mistake. If every time someone knocks on the door they are "trespassing on private property" then how can we ever be good neighbors?

If someone shows up on my doorstep for unnecessary reasons, I simply don't answer the door. Guess what, they leave without me having to brandish a gun at them.

Now, I'll agree that KBTX didn't need to show up on Wallis' doorstep, but Wallis didn't need to speak to the camera either.
Kendall Rogers
AG
I doubt that KBTX was trying to be a good neighbor.
CTGilley
AG
I think the interview was well done by both sides. Rusty was not overly pushy and TW saved face by not slamming the door in his face. I would expect KBTX to try and find answers to questions a large part of our local population have. If he wanted to prevent this he could have returned their call and stated he would not answer any questions until the Board Meeting on Monday.

I am not a public figure but my company provides me with media training in case something news worthy happens within the company. I would fully expect KBTX to show up at my house if there was a story.

I was at a friends house one day in HS when multiple news outlets showed up to talk to his father about something that happen with his company he was not even directly involved in. His father wasn't home. We did not answer the door and they went away. No one was angry and it was fully expected.

I guess what I am trying to say is that KBTX did their job. It may annoy some but it was not classless.
91_Aggie
AG
So, we have people complaining because KBTX never does any investigative journalism, and then when they do, we have people who must be sympathetic to the Superintendent's plight crying foul because they show up at his door.

JM13
I was just thinking the same thing
Post removed:
by user
powerbelly
AG
91_Aggie said:

So, we have people complaining because KBTX never does any investigative journalism, and then when they do, we have people who must be sympathetic to the Superintendent's plight crying foul because they show up at his door.

FNG
Slocum on a mobile said:

Not cool going to his house, KBTX. You should be ashamed, Mike Wright. Seriously, this ranks up there when you guys went to the guy who shot the constable's parents house to harass them. Let me guess, you're on vacation.

If there is not a "No Tresspassing" sign, I'm not sure they can't just walk up and ring the bell. No different form of access than Girl Scouts selling cookies, Boy Scouts selling popcorn, alarm company, magazine sales, miracle cleaning solution sales, or Jehovah's Witnesses enjoy.

That being said, it will be interesting to see if the Mike Wright/local news cheerleader on this board will show up to talk about win-wins and things getting knocked out of the park.
Post removed:
by user
91_Aggie
AG
Slocum on a mobile said:

Again, I am not sympathetic to the Superintendent's plight. If he diddled with the staff, he's gonna pay the price. I just don't think KBTX showing up at his door was appropriate. I am also not saying he should have brandished a shotgun. I was saying it would have been well within his rights to do so, however.

I worked several years for a very large Company in downtown Houston that suffered a monumental collapse. The layoff and bankruptcy was on every news camera in America. Because I kept my job there, I got hassled every day for weeks to talk to the press. I refused, because I enjoyed getting a paycheck on the regular.

If I (or Wallis) says no - leave. Quit hassling him. Don't be an @$$hole.

Your case is different. You weren't an employee being be paid by the taxpayers to be the main custodian of people's kids while at school. You were not being paid $230,000 a year in taxpayer money to abuse your power and allegedly diddle employees who report to you.

I agree you should have been.left alone. But this is different.
Frio Cielo
Don't have an issue on whether the Sup should be terminated if justified. Did wrong? Bye!
I just feel that a person, regardless of the situation, has a right to not be confronted by anyone on their personal property....especially by the news media.

Aggie
AG
He chose to open the door.. He didn't have to.

And as others have said.. He has enjoyed the pub on several occasions.. It's a 2 way street

No problem with what KBTX did.

People here complain when they act like a small market media outlet then complain when they act like one of the big boys.
Frio Cielo
Aggie said:

He chose to open the door.. He didn't have to.

And as others have said.. He has enjoyed the pub on several occasions.. It's a 2 way street

No problem with what KBTX did.

People here complain when they act like a small market media outlet then complain when they act like one of the big boys.

Of course, since I would assume they are different people that complain in each instance.

91_Aggie
AG
Frio Cielo said:

Don't have an issue on whether the Sup should be terminated if justified. Did wrong? Bye!
I just feel that a person, regardless of the situation, has a right to not be confronted by anyone on their personal property....especially by the news media.

He could have looked through the peephole and not answered or called the cops and said someone was trespassing on his property.
Country Bumpkin 3
I know that BISD has a large turnover rate. My daughter was hired by BISD before she accepted she talked to several teachers all had bad stories. Told her to hold off and see if she got any other offers thank goodness she did. All of them complained about this guy being more like a dictator and was not good about backing teachers or supervisors.
KBTX 501
Thanks for the input on this issue. First, the decision was made NOT to take a camera, but to reach out to Dr. Wallis for any comments he may want to share. it didn't happen that way. Not that all the newsroom agrees, but I texted Dr. Wallis after hearing of the report and apologized for the camera. I also received more information about this from KBTX. As with CSISD and the accusation of an inappropriate relationship between student/teacher, BISD is completely silent about this issue. There was no information shared from the district, and after numerous attempts by all means to gather any information or confirmation of what we had discovered without response, we went straight to the source. Based on research by KBTX staff and the BISD Employee Handbook, we believe there have been violations of BISD policy, allowing Dr. Wallis to be treated differently from other district staff, and leading us to believe more potential irregularities are being covered up as a result of their silence and non-responsiveness to requests. KBTX has filed FOI's for further information.
We accept that the report may have come off as abrasive, and again - personal opinion - the camera was not a good thing to do. However, we believe Dr. Wallis should be responsive to the public that pays his salary and those in charge, the BISD board, should be transparent. Do we have all the answers? Absolutely not. When boards like this are silent, there is a reason. Looking around and asking for information leads to a path. There could be technicalities and a re-definition of this leave; however, there is much more to this situation. Dr. Wallis was gracious, and like some have said, he didn't have to answer the door. I'm confident we'll have more information in the days ahead. I'm asking that you stick with KBTX during this process, and I'm grateful for all input. Not everything that happens here is run by me, especially in breaking news. I'm always available to people who care about this community. I'm really transparent on these matters. Be in touch anytime.
Mike Wright, VP/General Manager, KBTX
Mathguy64
AG
Well it's headed to a conclusion. The Board agenda has been posted and there are action items dealing with a "voluntary separation".
techno-ag
AG
Quote:

I'm asking that you stick with KBTX during this process, and I'm grateful for all input.
Absolutely!
FNG
halibut sinclair
FlyRod
Cowboy1990
See this in another district as well
Post removed:
by user
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.