Townhouse parking space poacher.

6,814 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Picadillo
MarkPro
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Full disclosure before I rant. I live in Houston, but own a townhouse in CS. We bought this place about 4 years ago because we spend a lot of time in CS, usually on the weekends. I don't rent this place out, we use it for football weekends, golf weekends and just to hang out.

Up until this past July, we haven't had any problems with anyone parking in our space behind the place. We don't have a garage, just a carport. We can park 4 cars back there, and have when we've had a lot of company. The carport covers 2 of the spaces. Back in July we were visiting for the weekend and spent a late night out, getting back at about 1:30 a.m. to find an oversize Ram pick up truck parked right in the middle of our space. Needless to say I was pissed, but being so late, I wasn't about to start knocking on doors. I wedged my vehicle next to the truck and left a note on the windshield saying that the next time I would have the truck towed. Truck was gone in the morning when we got up. No problem. Only saw the truck one more time, parked on a side street. This past Thursday I decided to drive up to play some golf, and as I pulled in, there was the truck parked in my spot again. Across the street was a young guy, and I'm guessing his girlfriend, washing a motorcycle in their driveway. I rolled the window down, and the guy just looked at me, until I asked if that was his truck. He replied it was, and I yelled for him to move it. He goes in the house to get his keys, and walks by me to move the truck. I back in and get out. He never acknowledges me, or offers an apology.

One time, no problem. Second time, problem. Not sure about how to handle this if it happens again in the future. Any suggestions?
LostInLA07
AG
Have him towed.
BCStalk
Should have towed from the get go
BlueMiles
AG
On the other hand, it can make your vacant place look lived in. Might keep it from getting broken into.
AggiePhil
AG
What about explaining the situation to him and coming up with an arrangement whereby you let him park in the space with the understanding that when you or your friends/family are coming to town, you will text him and he will move his vehicle? Just an idea. Might not work if he's the entitled inconsiderate type.
malibu9in1
quote:
On the other hand, it can make your vacant place look lived in. Might keep it from getting broken into.

So op needs to buy cars to fill up spaces so he can have his own parking spot that he has paid for?
CS78
Good luck getting it towed unless you move it yourself. Towing company told me they wouldn't touch it without proper signage and a contract. They don't have a problem towing one that's in the middle of the street though.
justalocal
quote:
What about explaining the situation to him and coming up with an arrangement whereby you let him park in the space with the understanding that when you or your friends/family are coming to town, you will text him and he will move his vehicle? Just an idea. Might not work if he's the entitled inconsiderate type.
Our neighbor lives in their home half the year, the other half they are at their other home. They allow the neighbors to utilize their driveway when they are gone. They call one of the neighbors and let them know when they will be home, they relay the message, and we don't park in their driveway. Pretty simple for us.
hihozippo
AG
I live in a TH with parking in the back. We recently had someone park in a neighbors carport. Neighbor asked if I knew who the heck it was. The vehicle didn't look familiar. He had it towed. Recently while talking with renters next door I found out it was their SUV. Renter said it cost him around $700 to get it back. I told him that I guessed he wouldn't do that again!
dubi
AG
Post legal no parking/tow signage then tow away.
BlueMiles
AG
quote:
quote:

So op needs to buy cars to fill up spaces so he can have his own parking spot that he has paid for?

Only a car salesman would think of something like that!

No, just think they could meet the neighbors and come up with a mutually beneficial arrangement. I appreciate my neighbors keeping an eye on my place when I'm gone, and they're not in my way when I'm home.
Oogway
Our neighbor is similar to Justalocal's in that we (about three neighbors) frequently park one of our teen driver autos in their drive. He texts when he is about to return and it works out great for all of us.

It is difficult to get to know your neighbors if you are away frequently, but I would suggest you try and approach them and see if you all can work something out. You don't have to be BFF (as my oldest would say) but you may find some common ground and go from there. Good luck!
Frio Cielo
Personally what I would do it talk to the guy and tell him if my driveway is not full he is welcome to park all the way to the right or left which ever is out of the way of the carport. This makes your home look lived in which will further prevent theft issues.

Also, I would give my me card and tell him if they see any thing suspicious around the townhouse to call me.

He doesn't appear to be hurting anything and watchful neighbors is great for crime prevention

I have a couple of homes of college guys living a couple of doors down and every year I make it a point to talk to them and become at least acquaintances. We and my visitors have walked over sometimes after the Aggie games and visit with the crowd partying behind the houses. I have even given the group a couple of used book shelves that are still in the house after a few sets of guys lived there and graduated.

I have a side parking area which the guys have used for their friends a few times. I told them they could park there but don't block my two carports. .....and they never have.

You can look at this as a negative or a positive....half empty or half full. I am a half full type.

BCStalk
"Oversized ram pickup" = probably doesn't care
malibu9in1
quote:
quote:
quote:

Only a car salesman would think of something like that!

No, just think they could meet the neighbors and come up with a mutually beneficial arrangement. I appreciate my neighbors keeping an eye on my place when I'm gone, and they're not in my way when I'm home.

Ill split the commish with ya...
Post removed:
by user
SARATOGA
Did the truck say R A M on the back ?

That is how you can tell you'll be dealing with Dodge guy. Dodge guy doesn't care about you and your piddly little vehicle. Dodge guy parks where Dodge guy wants.

Wildmen03
AG
Put tire puncture strips in your driveway when not in use.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Why would you have to work out an arrangement with someone who is parking illegally on YOUR property?

This kid doesn't own the place and has no legal right to the parking. It obviously means nothing to him to break the law over and over and over again.

Post signs. Tow him. He'll get the message.

If he had asked first (or even the second time), then he would show awareness of what he's doing wrong and a willingness to approach you for some kind of permission.

He hasn't done that and still parks in your property. And I'm pretty sure he'll be parking there later today. Tow him.
dubi
AG
quote:
If he had asked first (or even the second time), then he would show awareness of what he's doing wrong and a willingness to approach you for some kind of permission.
+1

Kid didn't apologize. He does NOT care.
FlyRod
Those P.O.S.'s do this at our place of work. I have had many towed, and doubtless will again.
FNG
Tear down your own fence
TexasAggie_02
AG
does the RAM have a YETI sticker? If so, tow his ass.
powerbelly
AG
quote:
does the RAM have a YETI sticker? If so, tow his ass.
Salt Life bro
Satellite of Love
OP, you should install camera facing the back so you can see your spots. Check every so often, and if he or anyone else is parking back there frequently, call up CS towing company and have the problem nipped in the bud from the comfort of your non-CS home!
BCStalk
Most important question though. Were his mirrors folded in or out?
australopithecus robustus
Put lockable bollards on your spaces to disallow anyone without the combo/key to park there.

http://hofequipment.com/Vestil-BOL-FD-36-G-Galvanized-Fold-Down-Bollard-p1086.html?utm_source=google-shopping&utm_medium=organic&gclid=CMbm88Kors8CFQGRaQodHf0Efw
MarkPro
Leave it to TexAgs to come up with some thoughtful and creative solutions. Thanks to everyone who offered a suggestion. I'm thinking the collapsable bollard idea probably won't work in my case. These fools would just run them over. As for getting to know my neighbors, as I've said, I've had the place for 4 years and only know the people next door. 3 very thoughtful and nice college girls who have been there for a year. The people on the other side I have said hello to, but they are there less than I am I think. (Why doesn't RAM boy park there/) It's not like I want to be unsociable, but exchanging phone numbers, calling to let them know when I'll be there, just the inconvenience of it all has me thinking this is not going to be the solution. Plus letting these people know when we'll be there just seems to be opening up an invitation for potential break ins. I think I'm going to buy a sign and hang it on the fence facing the parking spaces stating that unauthorized parking will result in vehicles getting towed. I have a few friends that live in CS that are willing to drive by on occasion and check on the place. One even knows a wrecker driver! So we'll see how things go.

Thanks again for the input.
dubi
AG
quote:
Leave it to TexAgs to come up with some thoughtful and creative solutions. Thanks to everyone who offered a suggestion. I'm thinking the collapsable bollard idea probably won't work in my case. These fools would just run them over. As for getting to know my neighbors, as I've said, I've had the place for 4 years and only know the people next door. 3 very thoughtful and nice college girls who have been there for a year. The people on the other side I have said hello to, but they are there less than I am I think. (Why doesn't RAM boy park there/) It's not like I want to be unsociable, but exchanging phone numbers, calling to let them know when I'll be there, just the inconvenience of it all has me thinking this is not going to be the solution. Plus letting these people know when we'll be there just seems to be opening up an invitation for potential break ins. I think I'm going to buy a sign and hang it on the fence facing the parking spaces stating that unauthorized parking will result in vehicles getting towed. I have a few friends that live in CS that are willing to drive by on occasion and check on the place. One even knows a wrecker driver! So we'll see how things go.

Thanks again for the input.

Be VERY careful about the signage.

There is specific code that says where the sign is placed...how high, how low. How big the letters.

Plus contact info for the tow company.
MarkPro
Well Dubi, I attempted to look up the code for CS in regard to posting a sign. I was not successful. I will however contact the city tomorrow to try and get some clarification. Thanks.
originaltexan
Put a Bernie sticker on his bumper
malibu9in1
Walk up to him with a cold bud light. Tell him you love his truck. Offer him the cold beer. Tell him park his truck anywhere but yr spot.
MarkPro
Well I called the city of CS code enforcement people today and talked to 2 different people. The first woman I talked to cut me off as I was explaining my scenario, and put me through to another woman. I explained to her what had transpired and asked for her help and guidance to remedy the situation. She informed that it wasn't a code violation, but a civil matter. I asked if I should call the police. She seemed confused at this point, and told me I should enter into a contract with a towing company, because the only way I can have a vehicle towed is by contract. I then asked if I should post "No Parking/Violators will be towed signs" and she replied that I could. I asked if there was a specific wording/size/ and position that I had to know in order to post the signs, and she said she didn't think so. I thanked her and hung up.

Then I called the CSPD to inquire about possible remedies. The woman I spoke with took my information and said she would have an officer call me. About five minutes later my cell rings and a very nice CSPD officer asks me to explain what is going on. So I tell him. He informs me that the PD cannot have vehicles towed from private property, but that I could. He tells me the best way to take care of this is to contact a towing company and ask them about posting signs and such, because this is what they do every day. I asked him if there was some regulation about the signs, and he said to ask the towing company. He said if I called the PD and they showed up, they would attempt to aid me in finding the person who parked in my spot, and ask them to move the vehicle.

So, after all that I asked him if the guys truck being on my property was trespassing, he said it was not. The example he gave was that of a front lawn. If there is no fence delineating the proper line, there is no trespass. He then went on to explain about recurring instances and how they could lead to a criminal trespass violation, but that it would have to play out over time. I didn't want to argue with him that my driveway was well delineated, so I let it drop and thanked him for his time. I guess I'll inquire about some towing companies, and see what happens. I'm really hoping that this kid has gotten the message, and decides not to park there any more.
dubi
dubi
AG
Yikes!

That is too hard!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.