College Station High Schools Consolidating

6,155 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Ratsa
SW AG80
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I recently heard that the 2 high schools in CS are going to consolidate in a few years. Consol will house 9 and 10 grade and CSHS will house 11 and 12 grades. Any truth to this?
The Good Aggieboy19
AG
There's no way
FNG
No

Next question
BQ_90
AG
Why? If they where going to do that then you do it before CSHS opens. Also how does the new HS on WD40 fit in?
SW AG80
AG
I questioned the info. Thought I had heard that a third hs was in the plans. The ONLY reason I could think of was to make the one CS high school very competitive in sports.
Mathguy64
AG
quote:
I questioned the info. Thought I had heard that a third hs was in the plans. The ONLY reason I could think of was to make the one CS high school very competitive in sports.
At the expense of sophomores (or the odd very talented freshman) from competing in any varsity UIL competition.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
quote:
I recently heard that the 2 high schools in CS are going to consolidate in a few years. Consol will house 9 and 10 grade and CSHS will house 11 and 12 grades. Any truth to this?

Oogway
Highly highly doubtful. I agree with FNG.
Aggie
AG
quote:
quote:
At the expense of sophomores (or the odd very talented freshman) from competing in any varsity UIL competition.

No , they could still play varsity athletics.
It's 1 high school but two campuses

And IMO no way in hell this happens now, I thought it should of happened this way when the 2nd HS was built .
But after several years of distinct swore aye schools.. Be a bad idea to do this now.
InMyOpinion
That would be a solution to the CSISD parents *****ing about inequalities, bus routes and how to properly split the economically disadvantage - at least at the high school level

But I'm sure they will find something else
Tailgate88
AG
Not happening. High school #3 will probably come online in 2024.
Scruffy
AG
Would we end up with A&M consol consol?

Makes no sense.
BrandoC
AG
That doesn't even make sense. Both schools have 1500+ kids and could even add another high school with the upcoming population increase.
Oogway
"Hey, didja hear the one about Alfred?"

Shout out to folks that watched VeggieTales...

From the materials presented at the public meetings, it looked like: boundary adjustment, followed by CSHS expansion, followed by HS #3.

aggiegal99
You are off by about 600 kids. Each school is around 1800 kids: Consol just under; CSHS just over.
rhoswen
AG
Wow. The school where I teach has 3000!
02skiag
AG
No thanks. The HS would be more competitive in sports but at the expense of many students. With two HSs that means twice the number of athletes and more opportunities to make a team.

-I don't have a HS student and won't for many years. I enjoyed a sport when I was in HS but if we had 3 times the students like Allen High does then there's a good chance I wouldn't have made the team.
aggiepaintrain
AG
never happen
DWren
quote:
No thanks. The HS would be more competitive in sports but at the expense of many students. With two HSs that means twice the number of athletes and more opportunities to make a team.

-I don't have a HS student and won't for many years. I enjoyed a sport when I was in HS but if we had 3 times the students like Allen High does then there's a good chance I wouldn't have made the team.

Ahh yes... best reason yet... Not as many kids would get participation ribbons.

02skiag
AG
Good one! Sports is good for everyone, why limit it to only the elite? It keeps kids healthy and builds character.

Also, no way this happens.
ukbb2003
I posted this in the boundary revision thread. Wish they would do it.

If they don't though, please, for the love, DO NOT build a third HS.
agnerd
AG
quote:
quote:

Ahh yes... best reason yet... Not as many kids would get participation ribbons.

You jest, but that was actually a very real reason for splitting up the schools in the first place. Parents got mad that little Susie didn't make captain of the drill team or drum major or team captain. They said two high schools give two valedictorians, two team captains, etc. for college applications. And so competition is reduced so that more awards can be handed out.

Edit: Only reason I'm OK with the split is that a lot of the 3000-student schools will try to limit a kid to only participating in one extra-curricular activity. Even at 2000-student 5A Consol before the split, coaches were trying to elbow out band and orchestra and academic teams. I know I had to sacrifice my classroom grade in both band and athletics at various times because I couldn't be at two competitions at the same time. Friends at 4A and smaller schools were encouraged to do more than one thing while large-school 5A friends were often prohibited from doing more than one thing. I can see both sides to the debate.
Tailgate88
AG
quote:

Why?
FNG
quote:
quote:

Why?

They probably live in the next attendance zone sliver.
ukbb2003
Because it isn't needed.
SCHTICK00
AG
quote:
That would be a solution to the CSISD parents *****ing about inequalities, bus routes and how to properly split the economically disadvantage - at least at the high school level

But I'm sure they will find something else
So getting on the bus at 7 and then off at 5:20 is acceptable?
Ratsa
I keep reading these comments about kids getting on the bus at 7 am and getting off the bus after 5 pm. I did a little searching on the district's transportation page, and the only areas where I find buses dropping off after 5 pm is in the more rural areas at the edge of the district, such as Peach Creek and Quarter Horse Ranch. The reason those routes take so long is that they pick up from 3 different campuses (intermediate, middle, and high school) before taking students home. This has got to be done to save on fuel costs for the school district. If you split the high schools into a 9th/10th grade campus and a 11th/12th grade campus, that makes an extra school for these buses to stop at, which would put them home even later than they already do.

Now, if there are neighborhoods in town where the bus doesn't drop kids off until 5:20 pm, please let me know where they are.
Scruffy
AG
Northgate.
They pick up about 0700 and drop off 4:50-5pm.

I find it humorous that all the discussion has been been about south college station and the families that live north of campus seem to get forgotten.
Ratsa
I take that as a sign you have good neighbors that don't feel the need to complain to the internet about what time their kids get off the bus.

But it is interesting that Northgate also runs one bus for 5th - 12th grade, picking up from 3 campuses before taking kids home. I guess anyone who lives in an area of CSISD that doesn't have many public school students will face that same situation. The 4:45 pm drop-off time shown on the district's transportation page for a random address on Nagle is still a lot earlier than the 5:20 pm time that others have claimed.
victory
AG
It may have been one of the reasons but that in no way makes it right. I promise you the people making our educational decisions (Local and state) arent making decisions across the board with the students best interest in mind.
Ag96n94
quote:
I keep reading these comments about kids getting on the bus at 7 am and getting off the bus after 5 pm. I did a little searching on the district's transportation page, and the only areas where I find buses dropping off after 5 pm is in the more rural areas at the edge of the district, such as Peach Creek and Quarter Horse Ranch. The reason those routes take so long is that they pick up from 3 different campuses (intermediate, middle, and high school) before taking students home. This has got to be done to save on fuel costs for the school district. If you split the high schools into a 9th/10th grade campus and a 11th/12th grade campus, that makes an extra school for these buses to stop at, which would put them home even later than they already do.

Now, if there are neighborhoods in town where the bus doesn't drop kids off until 5:20 pm, please let me know where they are.
I live in Nantucket. My 6th grader gets on the bus at 7am-school starts at 8:25. Gets off the bus at 5:15- school is out at 3:50. We live 5.5 miles from schools.
ksp
Is third HS going to be SOCO high?
Ratsa
I'm not sure I would consider Nantucket "in town," but it probably won't be too many years before that is true. The more I've learned about this issue makes me glad I'm not a transportation director. No matter what you do, you can't be fair to everyone.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.