Soon-to-be traffic lights at Emerald Parkway/2818 and Highway 6??

3,294 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Slocum on a mobile
DigDogDoo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This past week I've been seeing workers wandering around that area and just yesterday I saw some traffic monitoring sensors at the stop signs on every quadrant!! I want this to happen so badly especially because the morning commuters love using the right-most lane to cut in front of the people waiting to make a left.

SARATOGA
If there is room to cut, then you aren't following closely enough.

91_Aggie
AG
That is still going to happen. People have been complaining about that same thing at Fitch and 6 for years and they have lights
chigger
AG
That intersection sucks so bad. It's the divided street. People just don't know how to watch for their turn. People turn left and then it takes so long for cars to clear the intersection that the people behind them think it's their turn already when no other directions have even gone yet. I know it's not the biggest issue in the universe, but having to deal with it every morning gets really old.
DigDogDoo
Three lanes, first stop before underpass/left:

1 ---- 2 ----- 3
4 -----5
6 -----7
8 -----9
Car 1 and 2 go, car 3 delays itself then merges to Car 2's lane. Car 3 skips all the other cars behind 1 and 2 waiting to go to the underpass to turn left.

That's the issue. The people on the furthest right lane use it to skip ahead of everyone.
Aggies76
AG
People don't understand 4-way stops or are just being rude. They don't take turns and go whenever it's clear.
I think we need a light there.
aggiepaintrain
AG
I'm glad there will be a light especially for the aholes on the frontage road headed north from Rock Prairie.
They cut all the time.
95_Aggie
AG
quote:
People have been complaining about that same thing at Fitch and 6 for years and they have lights
Since there are 2 left turn lanes there now it is not such a big deal anymore.
Bunk Moreland
quote:
I'm glad there will be a light especially for the aholes on the frontage road headed north from Rock Prairie.
They cut all the time.

I make this turn every morning (going under the bypass on 2818 and left(N) on to HWY 6 access, and while the 2nd lane "cutters" or whatever you want to call them sometimes suck(though it's a turn lane too, so is it really cutting?)....it's by FAR the ones you described that just roll up and go.

Almost every day, you see a car try to just go as they please right after the one in front of them entered the intersection.
soso33
quote:
That intersection sucks so bad. It's the divided street. People just don't know how to watch for their turn. People turn left and then it takes so long for cars to clear the intersection that the people behind them think it's their turn already when no other directions have even gone yet. I know it's not the biggest issue in the universe, but having to deal with it every morning gets really old.

As much as I hate the fact of adding yet another light in this town (because many are horribly timed), I can see the need for this one. I've only recently had to encounter it in the mornings. I consider myself a conscientious driver but it's difficult to tell who all has the right of way here. If you are taking a left on to Emerald Pkwy from the 6 frontage road, you have to be aware of 5 lanes of possible crossing traffic. Cars do not arrive at the stop at the same time. If you wait for all lanes of traffic to clear from one direction, it's possible those coming from the opposite direction will feel you've waited too long, ceding your right of way. They will then enter the intersection if you don't.

I don't think the issue is cutting, but rather driving offensively so that you don't get stuck at the stop letting everyone else go. Hopefully this could be a flashing red intersection when it's not peak traffic conditions.
phatpat21
A light at the intersection of Arrington and GreensPrarie is needed
91_Aggie
AG
quote:

I heard they were going to make that a traffic circle
LOYAL AG
AG
quote:
quote:

I heard they were going to make that a traffic circle
That would work better than a light given the proximity to Fitch.
Scruffy
AG
Roundabout would solve the problem.
Ornlu
AG
I have heard literally nothing about this, and I usually hear about these sorts of things years in advance. Admittedly, my sources at TxDOT have failed me a few times, but still usually hear about these signalization projects years before they're constructed. That said, I'm reasonably certain that hwy 6/2818 isn't going to get a signal.

Traffic engineers use what's called a "warrant analysis" to determine if an intersection should be uncontrolled, stop signed, or signalized. If you've never heard the term, watch

My professors in college had us do a warrant analysis on this intersection to teach us how to do one. It came back with only 1 (out of 13) justifications for a signal. None of that has changed. "People are cheating" is not a good enough reason to spend $400k on stop lights.
Post removed:
by user
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.