UBER DRIVERS

4,122 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by texasaggie04
Ric Clark
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Any UBER drivers here.....wondering about becoming one in BCS and looking for information about what to anticipate for income, clients, etc..?
redd38
AG
It's mostly a minimum wage job unless it's surging. Unless you don't want to work Friday and Saturday nights, then it's most likely worse than minimum wage. Never believe anything Uber tells you, it's all lies for their benefit, not yours. There's a reason the turn over is so high, it's not a great job. But if you don't mind working bad hours (10pm-3am Fri & Sat) for a dishonest employer for low pay to destroy your own car putting up with dunks (both in your car and drunk pedestrians and drunk drivers around your car) and puke then it might be the job for you.

I don't recommend it unless you have nothing better to do Friday & Saturday night. I consider it more of a hobby than a job.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
BCStalk
Redd was an Uber driver?
Scruffy
AG
I have a friend who drove until he got a girlfriend.

He enjoyed it. Said the money was pretty good.
Yes you'll make more working weekend nights.
I think the guys I've talked with were clearing $200-$300 a week.

I say give it a shot.
I know last weekend (Friday) I would have loved to get an uber to the airport.
It's difficult to get taxis in this town.
redd38
AG
Let me know if you do end you signing up and I'll get you a promo code that will get us both money I think (not sure what their current promo is)
UmustBKidding
Have retired friend who drove for them until the last round of rate cuts. Had a couple of instances where people did not pay and he got left holding the bag, one on rush trip to IAH. But even discounting that problem he showed my his spreadsheet and basically any profit you make does not cover the depreciation, maintenance and direct cost on your car. By his calculation its borrowing against the value in your car for a small amount immediate cash.
Your situation may be different where you are on your cars deprecation curve, but the only thing that keeps it positive at all is the lower price of fuel.

redd38
AG
quote:
Have retired friend who drove for them until the last round of rate cuts. Had a couple of instances where people did not pay and he got left holding the bag, one on rush trip to IAH. But even discounting that problem he showed my his spreadsheet and basically any profit you make does not cover the depreciation, maintenance and direct cost on your car. By his calculation its borrowing against the value in your car for a small amount immediate cash.
Your situation may be different where you are on your cars deprecation curve, but the only thing that keeps it positive at all is the lower price of fuel.

The good thing about Uber is that the rider can never just not pay (although Uber will take money from you without telling you), so if your friend was ever stiffed it was because he was giving rides outside the Uber app. You are correct about all the hidden expenses though, most people think the only expense is gas which is far from true. There was a guy doing Uber in an Audi for a few weeks before I assume he realized that he was losing more through depreciation than he was making.
texasaggie04
AG
Agree that the only times you'll make money are really late on a Friday/Saturday night, or during events. You can make good money during football games, but then you're just sitting in traffic.

Which begs the question why anybody takes a ridiculously expensive Uber instead of the free bus system for football, but to each his own...
OneGood2011Ag
AG
quote:
Agree that the only times you'll make money are really late on a Friday/Saturday night, or during events. You can make good money during football games, but then you're just sitting in traffic.

Which begs the question why anybody takes a ridiculously expensive Uber instead of the free bus system for football, but to each his own...
I can think of a few reasons:

1. You flew in from out of town for the game and did not rent a car. The bus is unlikely to take you directly to your hotel.

2. You are drunk from tailgating and do not want to drive your personal vehicle from the park-and-ride location to your home.

3. You rode to the game with friends who are fans of the opposing team, and they left after the third quarter when it was clear the Aggies had beaten them while you stayed until the end.
aggiepaintrain
AG
look into FAVOR
texasaggie04
AG
quote:
quote:

I can think of a few reasons:

1. You flew in from out of town for the game and did not rent a car. The bus is unlikely to take you directly to your hotel.

2. You are drunk from tailgating and do not want to drive your personal vehicle from the park-and-ride location to your home.

3. You rode to the game with friends who are fans of the opposing team, and they left after the third quarter when it was clear the Aggies had beaten them while you stayed until the end.

Touch.
FNG
Touch what?
LOYAL AG
AG
Self driving cars is the end game for Uber. Anyone working for them now is just fodder to get the company rolling until they can reach the point where they no longer need drivers at all.
LOYAL AG
AG
As for the OP Uber "offices" out of Binary Space in downtown Bryan. It's at 110 N. Bryan if you want to go talk to their drivers.
texasaggie04
AG
quote:
Touch what?

Hmm apparently mobile Texags can't handle the e with the accent over it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.