55 Senior Community

8,928 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by mnuge
TexasAggie73
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thinking about moving to the CS area and looking for recommendations for senior communities.
Jimmy&^
Villas of Rock Prairie
Apartment
100 Mortier Dr, Apt 507, College Station, TX (979) 693-8129

armymom
There are numerous patio homes on the east side of Hwy 6 for the older set! Hire a realtor if you are looking to buy.
UmustBKidding
There is one set on broadmoor off nash behind the post office in Bryan. Know some residents not happy about the student housing that was built in the area when they assumed it was all going to be age restricted.
enchanted
Just purchased there off Broadmoor and very happy. The apartments are a non issue to us. People are friendly and new building is attractive.
Goose83
AG
quote:
Just purchased there off Broadmoor and very happy. The apartments are a non issue to us. People are friendly and new building is attractive.
Just give it a few years and it will all be Section 8 housing.

Then get back to us and let us know how you feel then.
Scotch
AG
Have you seen the apartments? They won't be Section 8, ever.
07bluebonnet
There was one house for sale in the Leisure Island Retirement community section of Nantucket.
Frio Cielo
quote:
There is one set on broadmoor off nash behind the post office in Bryan. Know some residents not happy about the student housing that was built in the area when they assumed it was all going to be age restricted.

Those homeowners unhappy either didn't ask about it and/or didn't' use a competent agent when they purchase their home.

Widespread areas of town are not restricted to age. That is illegal. Age restriction are by designated deed restricted subdivisions or areas of subdivisions. They should have know, or should have asked, about adjoining vacant land and its potential legal use.

If a buyer is concerned about the future use of any nearby property, whether vacant or not, get a copy of the deed restrictions and current zoning of the property.

enchanted
quote:
quote:

It could happen but it can also happen anywhere. There are many new homes being built down the street that are very nice and the neighbors in the immediate community take care of their properties. I was aware of the apartments but at the present it doesn't bother me nor the neighbors that I have spoken to. If you want to look at it negatively go ahead.
RafterAg223
AG
quote:
quote:

The completely uneducated fear mongering that exists here when it comes to multifamily is comical. How is it that multifamily can work in other cities outside of B/CS and go decades without ever becoming HUD, all the while nestled in the most affluent areas of large metro areas. There is a 40 plus year old apartment complex across the street from Highland Park High School in Dallas. Guess what? Still not HUD and still getting premium rental rates. I could run down a list of dozens of others in both Houston and Dallas. I guess all of the multifamily being built hundreds of feet from $1mm homes in the TPC and Stone Oak areas of San Antonio will be HUD before we can blink as well?? Class A apartments are not the devil.
Oogway
For the original question, there are some places in both Bryan and College Station, but be prepared to do a lot of legwork and waiting. As others have mentioned, there are also townhome/condo/patiohome options around the cities. Pebble Creek, Nantucket, Woodcreek (?) are some of the subdivisions that have smaller patio homes. There are also some in Bryan as well.
It is surprising how few of the smaller homes there are for the 60+ crowd. Not everyone wants to rent...

As far as apartments and decline, when we lived in a midwestern city, the brick/stone apartment complex near us was over fifty years old but it fetched high $$$ rent and was always very trim and tidy. It helps to have owners/landlords in it for the long haul and not the quick dollar.
Frio Cielo
quote:
For the original question, there are some places in both Bryan and College Station, but be prepared to do a lot of legwork and waiting. As others have mentioned, there are also townhome/condo/patiohome options around the cities. Pebble Creek, Nantucket, Woodcreek (?) are some of the subdivisions that have smaller patio homes. There are also some in Bryan as well.
It is surprising how few of the smaller homes there are for the 60+ crowd. Not everyone wants to rent...

As far as apartments and decline, when we lived in a midwestern city, the brick/stone apartment complex near us was over fifty years old but it fetched high $$$ rent and was always very trim and tidy. It helps to have owners/landlords in it for the long haul and not the quick dollar.

Not necessarily a wait as there normally is a number of homes for sale in the over 65 deed restricted subdivisions every year. You do have to act fast as they go under contract quickly.
Oogway
My bad--the waiting comment is toward some of the retirement communities like the one on Mortier in College Station and elsewhere in town. There can be a waitlist for those.
medic1969p
Midtown Apartments on Osborne in Bryan. They have one in CS but don't know where that one is.
new straw
If you're looking to buy, please look at summit crossing and contact jimmy easterly. It's a little community. We have a bit of everything. Some students, some retirees, but everyone is very respectful of their neighbors. Good luck on your search!
ro828
The senior housing units we looked at all had carpeting. I can wait until I find one with wood or laminate floors. Carpeting is nothing but a dust trap. By the way, if students live nearby or even in the complex I doesn't bother me a bit. IMHO there's nothing stupider than someone who moves to a town called College Station and whines because students live across the street and have keggers from time to time. Show up at their door with some wings and potato salad and they might invite you in. And if I ever get to where I'm complaining about local students (other than their not knowing what turn signals are) PLEASE come in and pull the plug on me one night.
The Original AG 76
AG
quote:
The senior housing units we looked at all had carpeting. I can wait until I find one with wood or laminate floors. Carpeting is nothing but a dust trap. By the way, if students live nearby or even in the complex I doesn't bother me a bit. IMHO there's nothing stupider than someone who moves to a town called College Station and whines because students live across the street and have keggers from time to time. Show up at their door with some wings and potato salad and they might invite you in. And if I ever get to where I'm complaining about local students (other than their not knowing what turn signals are) PLEASE come in and pull the plug on me one night.

I've been driving for better than 50 years... what is this " turn signal" you speak of???
Some sinister yankee carpetbagger device ?
ftpatches
If I had the resources, I'd build a master-planned community of patio homes for the over 55 set. I lived in the patio homes at Wood Creek in CS for a few years and the n'hood was wonderful. Had to move away, but would certainly buy in again. Folks don't want to hassle with yard work, are gone part of the year, and want parking, pool, amenities. Developers, take a look at Bon Terra in Wood Forest near Montgomery and build that for us here in BCS!
musicforall
Looking for a stand-alone house, gated community, patio home, or apartment/condo?
ag-bq-seventy
AG
quote:
Looking for a stand-alone house, gated community, patio home, or apartment/condo?
Yes.
Scotch
AG

I believe the abandoned Gartenheim Ranch was going to include a bunch of the patio homes geared at seniors.
quote:
200 acre Master Planned, Age Restricted Active Adult Community
Located on F.M. 1179 at Copperfield Drive across from the prestigious Miramont Golf Course Community
Residential Lots, Patio Homes, Townhomes and Apartments
Lots starting in the $60,000s
Planned Clubhouse, Lakes, Gardens and Walking Trails. A New Urbanist Walkable Neighborhood, designed with the pedestrian in mind.
Restricted, Light Commercial/Retail
Projected Grand Opening - Fall '07

The location would still be perfect for this type of development, I hope it gets back on track.
TraditionsRE
Howdy!

My name is Caitlin with Traditions Club & Community and we are Varsity TexAgs Sponsors. We do have a new product called The Villages at Traditions that you may be interested in for a retirement home.

Traditions is creating Bryan/College Station's first pocket neighborhood, featuring historic craftsman inspired courtyard homes, lots of green space and great proximity to Kyle Field. Pocket neighborhoods are unique communities that are becoming very successful across the country, and we are proud to be the first such community in Aggieland.

This pocket neighborhood will feature 116 homes, ranging in size from 1,000 square feet to 2,500 square feet. All will have the detailing that Traditions is known for: large front porches, historic touches, great moldings and, of course, all of the homes will be Energy Efficient. Pricing will range from the low 200s' to the mid 400's depending upon product, size and finishes.

The Villages at Traditions will have a unique concept fronting a common park feel that runs throughout the entire neighborhood. Gardens, pedestrian paths, a gazebo and exquisite landscaping will encourage a sense of community.

My team and I are in the neighborhood 7 days a week and would be more than happy to give you a tour of Traditions Club & Community!

https://www.villagesattraditions.com/

Caitlin Logsdon '13
Realtor/Community Sales Team
2100 Traditions Blvd.
Bryan, Texas 77807
Office: 979-821-2582
Direct: 361-217-0171
Fax: 979-821-2577
clogsdon@traditionsrealestate.com
www.traditionsrealestate.com
mnuge
AG
FYI - I have a listing in that EXACT area on TROPHY. It is one of the few under 200k and it is immaculate!!! If you would like to send me your email I can send you the link to the listing. It is awesome and only been on the market about 10 days...... Would love to show it to you!!!

Blessings-

Dara@TM5properties.com
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.