Primary care doctor recommendations in BCS?

3,214 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by honky60
Butterfly1205
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hi!

My family is new to town, and I'm looking for a great primary care doctor. The few that have been recommended to me aren't taking new patients. Thanks so much!
LunitadelNox
Barbara Pierce with The Med is great.

I like her because she talks straight, but will also answer all your questions and concerns. Some doctors I've seen are a little rude if you have lots of questions and concerns *cough* The Physician's Center *cough*. She'll answer all of them no problem.
samsal75
AG
Matthew Poling - Scott & White
CEAg78
AG
I would find Paul Roquet now that he is in private practice.
wasntme
I second Dr. Pierce, she is our family Dr., and she is great.
UmustBKidding
Unfortunately the answer really depends on what insurance if any you have.
AggiePhil
AG
Dr. Chris Imperial with St. Joseph Family Medicine. Excellent doctor.
Butterfly1205
Thank you all! I really appreciate it.
FNG
quote:
Dr. Chris Imperial with St. Joseph Family Medicine. Excellent doctor.

He is great.

Further south, Clint Cheng at Barron and Victoria
EBrazosAg
AG
Unless you have a very narrow network S&W product, or are an employee of one of the local hospitals, your insurance matters little when choosing a doctor. Most local providers are in network with most insurance - there are more not in S&W than anything, and United has some doctors that choose not to participate. If it's BCBS then pretty much everyone takes that, and Cigna and Aetna are similar. If it's Medicare or Medicaid, then the field narrows a lot...
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Dr Clint Cheng
KidDoc
AG
I don't think Dr Cheng is taking new patients, but he is excellent. Both Dr Eric South and Dr Karpac at the Boonvillle are good and taking new patients.

(Note that I am a St Jo doc)
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Post removed:
by user
Butterfly1205
Thank you all!!
UmustBKidding
It's far more nuanced that that. Have had Aetna HMO but the company I was working for in Dallas, there was not a single provider in Brazos county that would accept it. Have had BCBS PPO of both IL & TX. While most would take not all doctors/procedures were covered at in network rate. Have Humana PPO now, what would be considered platinum under obama care and some things are just crazy. If I have my quarterly lab work drawn at my SJPA doctors office my share is $212, but if I go to any lab, it's $7 because of the bogus hospital admission. Also have had BCBS high deductible plan, and some providers are willing to negotiate fees and other not. A local hospital imaging group would only let me pay the BCBS URC rate, but another would let me pay the cash price and not file. The difference was over $2000 on a MRI.
It absolutely matters what insurance, and recurring medical needs you have when you pick a doctor.
gettingitdone
You are right. Be cautious of any insurance package that is HMO or Health Select.
new straw
My primary is Jim Allen, PA wirh Scott and white. He's very thorough and calls to make sure things are going ok after the visit. Hope you find one you like.
coyote creek
Dr. Pierce would be a great choice, but I heard she was not taking new patients.
Butterfly1205
I hear you. Luckily, our insurance is accepted almost anywhere. Thanks for the advice, though.
UmustBKidding
Congratulations, luckily I have good insurance currently. Have been able to keep my PCP here for over 30 years. Of course he is with SJPA now but he is not beholding to the company line and tells me what scheme they are brewing at any point.
My son loves Anthony Sorriono there, and my wife and daughter miss Gabe Neal like Weslei Rice but are bounced around the doctors since they only go in emergencies. Have not had problems with any of the doctor and staff. Do like they have hours on Saturday.
Butterfly1205
I worked in insurance years ago. It can be a huge headache. Thanks for the recommendations!
honky60
AG
Jennifer Schmoker , nurse practioner, in practice with Dr Jones on Briarcrest Dr. , very good & very knowledgable
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.