Silk Eyesore

10,178 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by kraut
MeKnowNot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Does anyone know if the State Comptroller's Office has any responsibility to maintain the Silk Stalking? The place was less of an eyesore when it was open!

Hwy 6 from the south is the main gateway to BCS, especially during the busy fall football weekends. One of the first impressions we greet out-of-town visitors with is an abandoned double-wide with overgrown landscaping.

redd38
AG
Sounds like OP needs to open the establishment back up!

But seriously, I don't even notice it when I drive by. Some of you people look too hard for "eye sores".
FlyRod
"Eye sores" is a very relative term in BCS.
The Anchor
AG
The grass is really high. I noticed it yesterday when I saw some guys wading through it near the ditch.
MeKnowNot
Consider "eye sore" a non-legal term for "code violation".
unmade bed
Last time I was in there, I ended up with an eye sore
Fonzie Scheme
AG
quote:
"Eye sores" is a very relative term in BCS.
This. On the Thursday/Friday going into the UCLA game, I noticed a crap-ton (really) of garbage strewn about near the intersection of Texas and University, as well as along TX 6 and Rock Prairie. That seems a much easier problem to solve as thousands of visitors made their way into our fair community, yet nothing was done.
jja79
AG
UCLA weekend most of west campus plus the medians with grass around town weren't mowed. That's what out of towners saw.
95_Aggie
AG
While we're at it, how does so much trash/junk end up on the Barron Rd overpass? Is it an aerodynamic thing?
Rhinos GB
Maybe a good location for a new restaurant... "Boudreaux's House of Crabs"!... or... "The Dirty Shrimp Boot"?
aggiepaintrain
AG
What about the huge shanty house on 2818 between Texas Ave and Highway 6???
Looks like it was put together with plywood decking.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
I live off Barron Road and pass by the Dirty Sock on the access road every time I head into town, so I do notice it very often.

And it is just an embarrassment. There's no way that building would be sanitary for any future owners to utilize, so I wouldn't mind if it somehow fell victim to some "unexplained" fire.
Kitten With A Whip
I almost never notice that building. Maybe the grass will grow tall enough to camouflage the ratty building.
91_Aggie
AG
quote:
I live off Barron Road and pass by the Dirty Sock on the access road every time I head into town, so I do notice it very often.

And it is just an embarrassment. There's no way that building would be sanitary for any future owners to utilize, so I wouldn't mind if it somehow fell victim to some "unexplained" fire.
That only works for popular Italian chain restaurants who realize they are nowhere near restaurant row and have a horrible parking situation.
LOYAL AG
AG
Why would the Comptroller be responsible? The business didn't own the building. It's owned by someone who lives in Canada IIRC. It's on her to maintain it and CoCS to make sure she does. Now that it's not generating rent that might be harder to do.
Counterpoint
AG
quote:
quote:

That only works for popular Italian chain restaurants who realize they are nowhere near restaurant row and have a horrible parking situation.
Was that an Olive Garden reference? I just vaguely remember that.
BCStalk
http://www.theeagle.com/archives/fire/article_86d449f3-d470-57f2-a620-432a8b067d09.html?TNNoMobile
DBSwooper
There has been a delay due to a number of significant environmental and health concerns with the building.

Specifically the state is having to bring in a special company to remove and contain all the glitter and broken dreams.
GiveEmHellBill
AG

"You know what to do, don't you Ralph? BURN IT! BURN IT TO THE GROUND!"
studioone
if it bothers you so much, go mow it and pick up the trash...
Post removed:
by user
GoneGirl
AG
quote:
Why would the Comptroller be responsible? The business didn't own the building. It's owned by someone who lives in Canada IIRC. It's on her to maintain it and CoCS to make sure she does. Now that it's not generating rent that might be harder to do.
CoCS Code Enforcement could deal with it.
AgSportsFan
AG
Well done sir
techno-ag
AG
tamufan
While arson is one suggestion, CS could instead provide economic incentive funding to get someone to reopen the dirty sock while promising to provide employment to single mothers. Ha.
FlyRod
SOCSTAT needs a strip club like downtown Bryan needs a sports bar.
halibut sinclair
australopithecus robustus
Nice
duffelpud
AG
Ah, the memories of manicured Stocking grass...

aggiepaintrain
AG
this was all planned
Tailgate88
AG
quote:
Ah, the memories of manicured Stocking grass...
Post removed:
by user
kraut
AG
Is the original poster part of the moral police trying to get a petition together to stop Hooters?
Capn Mac
Well, the land owner has a definite reason to not just dump the property--that location, and only that location is the only one in College Station where a Sexually Oriented Business may be located, or operated. (No need to just believe me, go pull up the CoCS Unified Development Ordinance, and look under Sexually Oriented Business).

Code Enforcement is going to be stuck as there is no present operator to ticket. Which means citations have to be mailed to the registered owner (but only after the operator citations 'expire').

So, the process is slow. Unless pressure is brought to bear upon Planning and Development, or the City Council.
ksp
quote:
Well, the land owner has a definite reason to not just dump the property--that location, and only that location is the only one in College Station where a Sexually Oriented Business may be located, or operated. (No need to just believe me, go pull up the CoCS Unified Development Ordinance, and look under Sexually Oriented Business).

Code Enforcement is going to be stuck as there is no present operator to ticket. Which means citations have to be mailed to the registered owner (but only after the operator citations 'expire').

So, the process is slow. Unless pressure is brought to bear upon Planning and Development, or the City Council.
All true.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.