Traffic Ticket lawyer - Brazos County

6,733 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by SumAggie
AgricultureAggie1988
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Howdy all!

Got a speeding ticket for 83 in a 75 on hwy 6 heading towards Houston, around 6 miles outside of College Station.

Summon says: Brazos County Court in Bryan, TX.

Any one know a good traffic lawyer? I only know ones here in Housotn.
FlyRod
[popcorn]
Justified
John Quinn
gettingitdone
Are you disputing the ticket because you don't believe you were speeding? I would think it would be less expensive to pay the fine rather than pay an attorney. But if you truly believe you were not speeding, and feel you can fight it to your favor, then yes, find an attorney.
Stucco
quote:
Are you disputing the ticket because you don't believe you were speeding? I would think it would be less expensive to pay the fine rather than pay an attorney. But if you truly believe you were not speeding, and feel you can fight it to your favor, then yes, find an attorney.
We know nothing of his situation. There are lots of possible reasons to contest a ticket besides innocence.

Unfortunately I haven't found a good traffic attorney here.
AgricultureAggie1988
Fines are ~$200, and they go on your record, unless you take a defensive driving course.

$50 to a lawyer and it's taken care of here in Houston. Doesn't go on your record.
AgricultureAggie1988
Only my 2nd ticket
AggieWife2008
S
Don't do the crime if you can't pay the fine
Would ja 91
AG
I too would recommend John Quinn. He is probably the best in this area for traffic defense counsel.
carpe vinum
AG
quote:
Don't do the crime if you can't pay the fine
I completely agree, however the Deputy Constables are a bunch of Barney Fife Little Men Complexes walking jokes.
FNG
That may be the case.

However, 83 in a 75 will get you ticketed in most places across the country.

They make these signs that tell you how fast you can legally drive on a given stretch of road, and they install said signs along the road to remind you.

Your vehicle will display the speed at which you are traveling. You can even set the speed to stay constant in many modern automobiles, because technology.

This is not difficult.
techno-ag
AG
It's unfortunate but 10 percent over the posted speed will count as points off your license. Definitely worth fighting if you're not eligible for defensive driving.
OnlyANobody
This may sound naive, but, how do you fight a speeding ticket when they are "gunning"? If I say "no I wasn't" and he says "yes you were, it's on radar", what argument can I make?

One of the aforementioned Barney Fifes got me on 40 between 30 and Rock Prairie. I thought the limit across there was 65, so, set my cruise on 68. (Yes, breakin the law) I was nice to him, provided all the stuff he demanded and took my ticket. I wanted to fight it just because he was so hateful. Instead, I took DDC and eliminated the problem.

So, back to my question - what is there to fight?
Cancelled
AG
Calibration? Accuracy? Reliability? Experience and training of officer on the device? When the state has a high burden of proof, all of these issues come into play.

Caveat: I'm not a traffic ticket lawyer.
AggieJason
AG
Pay your fine like a man.
MisterShipWreck
Yes, I have seen Quinn make some interesting plea deals. I would hire him if I were you.
texag84
AG
Stopped for only 83 in 75? That guy is Barney Fife! That's normally where I set my cruise and have never been pulled over. The guy obviously has waaaay too much time on his hands and loves grabbing additional revenue from tax payers.
Stucco
quote:
Pay your fine like a man.
Why is it manly to pay a fine?
law80
AG
Unless you are going to come back for lets say your community service I would just pay the fine. Guy at work got caught doing 81 in a 75 south of CS a couple of weeks back and went the lawyer route so he didn't have to pay the fine. Judge gave him community service instead and he still had to pay his lawyer.
RockyMountainAg
AG
John Quinn
Mathguy64
AG
quote:
Fines are ~$200, and they go on your record, unless you take a defensive driving course.

$50 to a lawyer and it's taken care of here in Houston. Doesn't go on your record.
I'm sorry. There is no way in the world you can magically take a $200 ticket and pay a lawyer $50 to take care of it and not have it show up on a driving record.
InMyOpinion
I used John Quinn many years ago. I wasn't eligible for defensive driving so I hired him. If I remember correctly he appealed the ticket from JP court to a higher court, maybe district court? and we waited. Not sure what argument he used as I never had to show up. Almost 2 years later I got a letter to pay court costs and it would not go on my record, which was the only reason I hired him. I know in the end I paid about the same as the original fine but it didnt go on my record. I think I was more worried about how it would change my insurance rates as a 18 year old.
Crusader
A 75 mph speed limit is fast enough, especially on such a busy highway. I have seen speeders there who have no regard for the safety of others, and even their own. Is endangering the lives of others with the extra 8 miles per hour worth what you are "gaining"?

Every now and then, even Barney Fife got it right.
Mr.Short-termMemory
AG
quote:
quote:

I'm sorry. There is no way in the world you can magically take a $200 ticket and pay a lawyer $50 to take care of it and not have it show up on a driving record.

There is a way in the world. That's why you hire a lawyer. Lawyers (ones that deal with traffic tickets routinely) know which way that is.

Dynamics of police officers prosecutors, and courts are different in B/CS. Not as cheap to hire a lawyer here because of that. But depending on the case may still be worth money hiring one to review case.

Stucco
quote:
A 75 mph speed limit is fast enough, especially on such a busy highway. I have seen speeders there who have no regard for the safety of others, and even their own. Is endangering the lives of others with the extra 8 miles per hour worth what you are "gaining"?

We all endanger lives just by getting into a car, whether going 83 or 75. There are multiple roads in TX with 85 mph limits. Depending on the circumstances, 83 might be safer than 75, or not. We have no way of knowing the circumstances.
Prune Tracy
quote:
quote:

We all endanger lives just by getting into a car, whether going 83 or 75. There are multiple roads in TX with 85 mph limits. Depending on the circumstances, 83 might be safer than 75, or not. We have no way of knowing the circumstances.

Yep. And in my experience, the drivers going 80+ are usually focused on the road. It's the ones going 65 in a 75 while balls deep in their phones that are the real danger.
australopithecus robustus
Speeding is illegal.
Soon texting and driving will be illegal.

It is your right to contest if you want.
This is the USA.

If someone doesn't like it, that's ok. 1st amendment rights.

There is nothing wrong with exploitation of your rights to your maximum benefit until the law disallows that.

Jesus was a liberal.

George W did blow.

God Bless Murica
Anna Molly
quote:
quote:

Yes, and that portion of Highway 6 is marked 75, not 85. Which is why OP got a ticket. Evidently the traffic engineers/government officials/"'The Man' in a smoke filled room" room thought 75 was the correct speed for that area. The LEO thought OP's "circumstances" warranted a ticket.

Jeebus. This board, sometimes. "I know there are laws, but I really think I know better than everyone else, so the laws really shouldn't apply to me."

If only there was a sign in black and white, signifying the *maximum* legal speed to drive...
FlyRod
Well said, bossy.
SumAggie
I hope everyone going 83 in a 75 gets ticketed. 75 is fast enough. Too fast on some roads.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.