the smell of northgate

17,622 Views | 123 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Orozco05
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Now, before I start, I've been in CS for about 8 years and have spent more time than I should have on northgate, so I don't exactly have delicate sensibilities when it comes to bar/drinking atmosphere. I will happily go drink flat beer at a bar that smells like pee (shall not be named).

My last several visits to northgate, even during the summer, the smell of the area was repulsive. Its pretty clear there's festering vomit and urine all over the place getting baked by the sun. This is to be expected, but what I am wondering about is why the city and or business district don't do something to clean it up, or at least limit the smell? Its never been nearly as prevalent until recently, but its to the point where we had to move inside at blackwater draw. I would say this has been going on for about a year or so.

I really dont go to the bars there to rink as much as I did as an undergrad, but its to the point where you cant really eat a meal at lunch time without fighting the urge to vomit.
Oogway
While I, personally, might agree w/you that a smell such as you describe is unappealing, if it is not a Health Code violation, then perhaps the city stays out of it and lets the consumer decide?
You might wish to send a note to a few of the businesses you frequent or the Chamber of Commerce or the Visitor's Bureau and see if they would like to tackle it.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
good idea, thanks
redd38
AG
I agree, the smell is unbearable if you're not drunk enough.
Tailgate88
AG
We need one of those street cleaners that comes down Bourbon St at 6:00am. If you see one coming you better get out of the way!
FlyRod
Happily I avoid these sorts of places, but have noticed over at West End Elixer (which I do patronize) a pretty bad sewage smell...but I think that's from leaking pipes rather than drunk students.

Northgate has always been a pretty foul and odiferous place...
birdman
It smells like bad decisions.
95_Aggie
AG
Does Austin hose down 6th St every weekend?

Just curious ...
ksp
quote:
Does Austin hose down 6th St every weekend?

Just curious ...
It smells like piss too but not sure
Picadillo
Several city blocks need to be power washed with bleach. Suggest removing any QBs found sleeping in the flower beds first.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
quote:
Suggest removing any QBs found sleeping in the flower beds first.
Scruffy
AG
I've reported the smell several times.

The problem is the dumpster area has a drain that enters the storm sewer; where the smell is coming from.
Notice that the smell is strongest by the corners with the street culverts to the storm sewer.

Seeclickfix has responded before and said that there is a plan in the works to fix it, but in the meantime unless we get massive rain or the fire department to flush the sewer the smell will remain.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
Im really just surprised the businesses themselves haven't done anything about it. I get the bars that are open from 11pm-2am twice a week dont care, but the places that serve food and have happy hours should be really upset about it. There are times when you cannot sit on the porch of blackwater draw, and the porch is the whole selling point of the place to me.
AC Hopper
S
Boycott the bars & stop patronizing them and you will see some action.
Unlikely to occur since current clientele seems to be cool with spending money, eating, and drinking in a vomit and urine contaminated environment. Freaking heathens!
Except for A&M Methodist and a couple of other places, the entire strip on the northside of University Dr. from College Ave. to Wellborn Rd should be condemned, demolished and redeveloped.
Eliminatus
AG
The whole area is decrepit and rundown. People goaltend and say it is quaint. No, it's filthy. You are not going to kill the "identity" of NG if the whole area is modernized. Which it needs to be. If TAMU actually get's it's wish and we reach eleventy billion students it will be even more of a nightmare than it is now.

And if some need context the last time I went to NG I kept thinking about Fallujah, Iraq just from the smell alone. I do not go to NG to remember that place.
malibu9in1
Smells like teen spirit.

Rode through there sat for a drive. Smells horrible.
FlyRod
quote:
The whole area is decrepit and rundown. People goaltend and say it is quaint. No, it's filthy. You are not going to kill the "identity" of NG if the whole area is modernized. Which it needs to be. If TAMU actually get's it's wish and we reach eleventy billion students it will be even more of a nightmare than it is now.

And if some need context the last time I went to NG I kept thinking about Fallujah, Iraq just from the smell alone. I do not go to NG to remember that place.

Excellently put, and thank you for your service.
redd38
AG
Maybe they can start putting something in the beer that makes the piss and vomit smell better? Let's get our top scientists working on it.
rhoswen
AG
The reason it won't be fixed up is because the landlords are making money hand over fist with the buildings as-is. Why spend when they don't have to? And if I'm a bar owner renting from these landlords, there certainly isn't any reason for me to spend my money to fix up their property.
BCS-Ag
The smell has nothing to do with the buisnesses and the only thing they can do about it is complain like we are . The problem is the poor design of the drainage under the City's dumpsters connected to the public restrooms. Perhaps someone from the city (paging Jay Socol!) can come on and explain what the problem is and the status of the planned fix they've been talking about for a while.
Jimmy&^
CS took a Low bidder to clean up this area about a year ago. That why it is not getting pressured washed everyday like it was years ago. Just do not not sit on anything Bired **** is everyplace..
australopithecus robustus
I've noticed an exploding grackle population of late that is especially terrible between 6pm-9pm. Consequently there is more bird crap per square foot in the promenade than anywhere else I've seen in a while.

Since they've shown up, the smell that was previously, intermittently foul is now much worse. Didn't know bird crap could smell like that, but when you add it up by the thousands, it's funky.
Mark Longmire
The city of college Station is not cleaning this area. The restrooms haven't been cleaned for a long time. Every time I go in there they stink and toilet paper and tampons are laying in puddles of urine on the floor in the stalls. One time I even found a used condom laying on the floor. There is a horrible smell coming from the dumpsters next to the restrooms too. My parents came down to visit and they had nowhere to sit outside because of all the bird poop everywhere. There used to be a large crew cleaning every morning last year but i don't know what happened. I was sent over to get a permit at one of the city buildings and those buildings are almost as nasty...maybe the city should hire a new city manager.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
quote:
The whole area is decrepit and rundown.
I dont know about that. Ive never thought that.

I think we can all agree its embarrassing for the city and unacceptable for taxpayers. Is the northgate pay parking lot owned by the city? Surely its paid for and the revenues go to the city, right? Why cant they use the money the extort from people there to clean the area?
Oogway
One may be able to argue that it actually IS acceptable to taxpayers. Over the years and especially during the economic slump, we complained about waste and high taxes. The City laid off employees and consolidated some positions and outsourced others. If this is one of the services they outsourced and they take the lowest bid then sometimes the service suffers. The taxpayers complain, but it gets muddled with the middleman. Still, try contacting some of the folks and maybe you can make something happen--you might not be the first to complain.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
I see your point, but the fact is that northgate is a revenue point for the city. They tax it directly and indirectly, they charge people to park there, and in my opinion, use deceptive means to write parking tickets (that's neither here nor there, but i imagine the parking ticket revenue is substantial). You think they could use some of that money to stop the town of reeking of chum.
ro828
I was there this afternoon and the amount of litter is terrible. Maybe they need more litter barrels, or maybe people who go there need to learn to clean up after themselves.
FlyRod
BCS continues to grow, downtown Bryangets better every year, and the number of options to Northgate continues to expand.
techno-ag
AG
It's a sad state of affairs. Many visitors take a stroll through Northgate while they're in town and they get to walk through a sewer.
FlyRod
It would be a sad state of affairs if visitors didn't have other places to visit.
FNG
quote:
It's a sad state of affairs. Many visitors take a stroll through Northgate while they're in town and they get to walk through a sewer.

Seems to work ok for New Orleans.

Paris was the filthiest large city I visited and people flock to it every year.
australopithecus robustus
Northgate will be around and be dominant (for alcohol) as long as A&M is around.

I really don't think it's blighted. No more so than most other College entertainment districts. The city just needs to clean up bird crap and check on some of its sewer infrastructure.

Location, location, location
FNG
quote:
If this is one of the services they outsourced and they take the lowest bid then sometimes the service suffers.

Trust
victory
AG
quote:
quote:

Seems to work ok for New Orleans.

Paris was the filthiest large city I visited and people flock to it every year.
Did you really just reference Northgate to New Orleans and Paris?
Oogway
Kinda puts the 'ew' in the 'ooo-la-la'?
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.