Does the student population really outnumber housing options?

10,330 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by AC Hopper
SumAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
I don't get it either. Maybe ordinances opening up those properties to rent to 8-12 students in one dwelling are pending. Overdue I'd say.
try living next door to them when you have a family neighborhood. We all love the cars parked everywhere, trash everywhere, no lawn mowing, noise. Fastest way to lower property values in a nice neighborhood is to move 5-6 students into one house. I know our neighborhood is TIRED of them.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
quote:
I don't get it either. Maybe ordinances opening up those properties to rent to 8-12 students in one dwelling are pending. Overdue I'd say.
try living next door to them when you have a family neighborhood. We all love the cars parked everywhere, trash everywhere, no lawn mowing, noise. Fastest way to lower property values in a nice neighborhood is to move 5-6 students into one house. I know our neighborhood is TIRED of them.
jt2hunt
AG
I don't see what the complaint is about because they are breaking no laws/ordinances. You want to deny free market commerce because it is not appropriate to you?
runawaytrain
The problem is not the housing, the problem is what the housing attracts. Very hard to sell your single family home when your neighbors don't cut the lawn, park their cars on the lawn, trash is thrown about, race through the streets, hold loud parties, and disregard that someone might live next to them.

The city knew when it passed the ordinance relating to unrelated people living together that it would be impossible to enforce. How many cases have been brought up and fines dished out?

The homes being built, i.e. the "Ag Shacks" are never meant to attract single families (rooms are to small, layout, design, front yard being concrete).

I am hoping some of those in south college station get to experience what some of us closer to campus experience, then maybe there will be change.

It is all cool until, it is your next door neighbor.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
The problem is not the housing, the problem is what the housing attracts. Very hard to sell your single family home when your neighbors 1. don't cut the lawn, park their cars on the lawn, trash is thrown about, race through the streets, hold loud parties, and disregard that someone might live next to them.

2. The city knew when it passed the ordinance relating to unrelated people living together that it would be impossible to enforce. How many cases have been brought up and fines dished out?

The homes being built, i.e. the "Ag Shacks" are never meant to attract single families (rooms are to small, layout, design, front yard being concrete).

I am hoping some of those in south college station get to experience what some of us closer to campus experience, then maybe there will be change.

1. Having been at the receiving end of some of those complaints, first as a student & later as a landlord, let me assure you the city does not take them lightly.

2. It is not impossible to enforce. The city relies on neighbors reporting on those living nearby on their street. The city investigates when a neighbor complains.
Counterpoint
AG
quote:
quote:
The problem is not the housing, the problem is what the housing attracts. Very hard to sell your single family home when your neighbors 1. don't cut the lawn, park their cars on the lawn, trash is thrown about, race through the streets, hold loud parties, and disregard that someone might live next to them.

2. The city knew when it passed the ordinance relating to unrelated people living together that it would be impossible to enforce. How many cases have been brought up and fines dished out?

1. Having been at the receiving end of some of those complaints, first as a student & later as a landlord, let me assure you the city does not take them lightly.

2. It is not impossible to enforce. The city relies on neighbors reporting on those living nearby on their street. The city investigates when a neighbor complains.
THIS! My tenants went two weeks without mowing because their lawnmower broke, and I got a certified letter in the mail from College Station warning me about a citation and court summons. They don't mess around!
FNG
Except you see some houses and even some businesses in town that seem to be immune to such insistence from the city.
FlyRod
quote:

This is rich. In a previous thread about the debate over the ordinance limiting the number of students living under one roof, several of the critics in this thread were fervent defender of students' *rights* to live in residential neighborhoods.

And more than a few people wailing and gnashing their teeth about students moving into *nice* neighborhoods seemed to have no trouble with the idea of them living in the lower income, "less nice" neighborhoods and driving the people there crazy. Hence my tongue and cheek suggestion about opening up the *nice* neighborhoods to them. Share the misery.
nashvilleaggie11
quote:
The problem is not the housing, the problem is what the housing attracts. Very hard to sell your single family home when your neighbors don't cut the lawn, park their cars on the lawn, trash is thrown about, race through the streets, hold loud parties, and disregard that someone might live next to them.

The city knew when it passed the ordinance relating to unrelated people living together that it would be impossible to enforce. How many cases have been brought up and fines dished out?

This. So true. I have been working closely with the City of Bryan on the frat house in my neighborhood. These ordinances like the Residential Neighborhood Conservation Districts are great and all if they can be enforced. The City has admitted to me that it is hard for them to enforce this...they list on their website that they can look at the names on mail or utilities but they have told me these aren't viable ways of figuring out who is actually living in the house. It's been frustrating to say the least.
Oogway
quote:

<snip>
These bolded items above I have seen enforced for code violations. Granted, it takes some time to see results, but then again, if I had a situation wherein my household was having difficulty keeping up with things, I would appreciate some time/allowance from the city to rectify the problem myself.

As far as the occupancy issues, the City appears to have declared it unenforceable since it only counts the names on the lease. Boyfriends, girlfriends, and under-the-table-renters frequently amount to eight residents and eight cars. My friends that have students living in their neighborhoods say that most of them are no problem, but like any neighborhood, there is always That. One. Neighbor. that isn't very community-minded.
Aggiecat88
Emerald Forest is currently litigating it's second lawsuit with the same homeowner. They lost the previous court case that went to the Texas Supreme Court, so I think the owner is currently in contempt of the court and I don't know what else. The owner knew up front about the deed restrictions so there is no excuse,
SoTheySay
S
It's not.
AC Hopper
S
Aggiecat88 said:

Emerald Forest is currently litigating it's second lawsuit with the same homeowner. They lost the previous court case that went to the Texas Supreme Court, so I think the owner is currently in contempt of the court and I don't know what else. The owner knew up front about the deed restrictions so there is no excuse,

Emerald Forest HOA is known for rigorously enforcing the single-family-only occupancy provision of their deed restrictions and will sue any homeowner, or realtor, who rents or sells a home there for any purpose other than single-family occupancy!

The Texas Court of Appeals upheld the single-family provision of the deed restrictions, and the HOA, knowing that a defendant-homeowner will have to pay court costs and attorney fees, does not hesitate to sue.

The most recent violator was ordered to pay a $1500 fine and serve jail time.
Lone Stranger
Homeowners on a street off deacon between Welsh and Rio Grande did this as well. The homeowner sued then turned around the sued the realtor and the realtor ended up buying the house back from the owner who had told the realtor they were looking for a rental house for college students. The realtor and buyer both failed to notice the restrictive covenants in the deed for the area even though there was no HOA (or ignored them).
AC Hopper
S
It is serios business, and the hoa's and the homeowners who live in deed restricted subdivisions appear to be very serious about enforcement in order to protect property values. U wouln't want to be in their sights or on the receiving end of one of their law suits.
Very painful and costly. Sounds like a broker or real estate agent could jeapordize their license. Not worth it.
BrandoC
AG
Which house would this be? A house on Bent Tree Drive?
SoTheySay
S
Ah. I had forgotten about that.
CRE-Ag
AG
FlyRod said:

Hmmm...I've lived in and visited quite a few college towns and this situation varies enormously actually. There are some college towns where residential areas quite close to the university have been remarkably well preserved, and are quite coveted as places to live: beautiful, leafy old well kept neighborhoods close to to the university, yet distant enough in a good way.

The way BCS is evolving seems to run counter to this, with successive 'hoods close to campus succumbing to "student decreptitude." Clinging to the dwindling hope that mine does not become one of them.

Man, I'm with ya. The city should have saved the section 8 houses in South and Eastgate. The best part of living near campus used to be watching drug busts from my front yard.
Builder93
AG
techno-ag said:

Quote:

Quote:

I'm just wondering what old apartment complexes have been torn down? Houses maybe but not aware of apartment complexes.
Most of the older complexes aren't very close to campus, so not worth tearing down yet. But the old 16-story (or however tall) building that was at the corner of University and Texas was torn down (imploded), and there were some apartments along Wellborn that got torn down. Both replaced or being replaced with newer apartments. Not sure if the old married student housing counts as an apartment complex, but that got torn down. I know of at least two more complexes that are going to be torn down in the next year to make way for progress.
In all fairness, that eyesore needed to go.
Yea, so they could build a new eyesore.....
Pyewacket
AG
Unless, the chairperson of the Bryan Planning and Zoning commission owns several rent houses on your street.
AC Hopper
S
I think they're equal opportunity sue-ers!
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.