Does the student population really outnumber housing options?

10,328 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by AC Hopper
DigDogDoo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We are getting new apartment complexes every month.
FNG
No.

Somehow students have been able to find a place to live each semester for over 100 years.

A movement is upon us to increase undergraduate enrollment to eleventy-billion by 2025. Developers have kept pace with that plan.

Older complexes will fade into disrepair and close or begin lowering rents to stay competitive and will house residents of a lower socio-economic status. Newer complexes will continue to rent to millennials who have the unlimited credit card from First National Bank of Mom and Dad.
redd38
AG
New complexes don't get built because we need more housing. New complexes get built because they will make money. Once students stop preferring to live in the newest "luxury" apartments instead of old, run-down apartments then the new construction will stop. So expect to continue to see new housing for a long time.
bobinator
AG

quote:
Newer complexes will continue to rent to millennials who have the unlimited credit card from First National Bank of Mom and Dad.

Are the current college kids still millennials? They've got to be like post-millennials at this point right?

Also, it's just the circle of life. New apartments go to college kids, apartments that used to be new go to the young professionals, the generation behind that goes to the crowd that can't afford anything else, then they get demolished/renovated and the circle of life begins anew.
FlyRod
Its not just apartments. Have seen quite a few "Aggie shacks" (quasi houses) spring up in residential neighborhoods over the last couple years.
armymom
I'm just wondering what old apartment complexes have been torn down? Houses maybe but not aware of apartment complexes.
Rapier108
quote:
Its not just apartments. Have seen quite a few "Aggie shacks" (quasi houses) spring up in residential neighborhoods over the last couple years.
Those are the worst. Couples of blocks from me, a house got destroyed when a large oak tree fell during a storm. Whoever purchased the property also bought the lot next door, demolished that house as well, and built three of those damn Aggie shacks.

Cops get called there 2-3 times a week because some moron is playing their bass so loud it vibrates houses 5 blocks away. I guess as long as mommy and daddy pay the fine, the idiot doesn't care.
FlyRod
I was very happy when several of the houses behind me were remodeled (and nicely done too) rather than torn down and replaced with Ag shacks. Not sure how long our 'hood can hold the line though from the ever greedy developers.

Yep, I NIMBY'd, and unabashedly so.
jja79
AG
What is an Aggie shack?
K2T2
quote:
What is an Aggie shack?
A 4-5 bed/bath house that's usually built on top of an older tear down(s) (that still may have been a really cool house) whose sole purpose is to be rented out to groups of students. The layout and everything is really conducive to it, as opposed to a normal house with a defined master and smaller bedrooms.
halibut sinclair
quote:
quote:
What is an Aggie shack?
A 4-5 bed/bath house that's usually built on top of an older tear down(s) (that still may have been a really cool house) whose sole purpose is to be rented out to groups of students. The layout and everything is really conducive to it, as opposed to a normal house with a defined master and smaller bedrooms.
Usually no garage, instead parking spaces in front for 4 cars.
95_Aggie
AG
quote:
What is an Aggie shack?
Just drive through the neighborhood south of George Bush Drive. They are everywhere.
redd38
AG
quote:
I'm just wondering what old apartment complexes have been torn down? Houses maybe but not aware of apartment complexes.
Most of the older complexes aren't very close to campus, so not worth tearing down yet. But the old 16-story (or however tall) building that was at the corner of University and Texas was torn down (imploded), and there were some apartments along Wellborn that got torn down. Both replaced or being replaced with newer apartments. Not sure if the old married student housing counts as an apartment complex, but that got torn down. I know of at least two more complexes that are going to be torn down in the next year to make way for progress.
Anna Molly
Do a Google search for 'AgShacks' and see the pictures that come up.

I still don't see how a 5/5 rental unit is allowed in a neighborhood with single-family houses.
FlyRod
Would love to see them built in Pebble Creek, Miramont, and Traditions.
jja79
AG
quote:
quote:
What is an Aggie shack?
Just drive through the neighborhood south of George Bush Drive. They are everywhere.

I assumed that's what they were but wasn't sure.
Drewmeister
AG
Plenty of them going up in/behind Northgate too, especially on Nagle just on the Bryan side of the city limits.

Some of them look better than the houses they replaced, although this far east most of the houses while older, are still somewhat decent. The real crapholes were the duplexes/fourplexes between Boyett & Wellborn which are being torn down for new high-rise apartments, which actually makes sense there.
nashvilleaggie11
It may not be allowed. I've been doing a lot of research over the past 3 weeks since a frat house popped up in my quiet and old neighborhood. Turns out my neighborhood is a "RNCD" or "Residential Neighborhood Conservation District." Let's just say the city's legal department is dealing with the house now. You can read all about the "RNCD" here...
http://www.coventryglenrealty.net/public/BryanResidentConservDistrictOrdInfo041007.pdf
fcag
AG
quote:
It may not be allowed. I've been doing a lot of research over the past 3 weeks since a frat house popped up in my quiet and old neighborhood. Turns out my neighborhood is a "RNCD" or "Residential Neighborhood Conservation District." Let's just say the city's legal department is dealing with the house now. You can read all about the "RNCD" here...
http://www.coventryglenrealty.net/public/BryanResidentConservDistrictOrdInfo041007.pdf

I'm guessing you are talking about a two story red house on a corner with the circle drive?
nashvilleaggie11
With "beautiful neoclassical columns?" Ya...that's the one.
K2T2
quote:
With "beautiful neoclassical columns?" Ya...that's the one.
Ha, those "beautiful" columns! I thought it was hilarious that someone commented on the house and frat activities, saying "We'll (the neighborhood?) get through this" like it was another flood or something.

No matter who live in that poor house, though, it's still going to be ugly as ****.
TellMeMore
While it is all well and good to talk about where students are living/moving, I would make sure you understand who is also moving into the older complexes in CS. They ain't students my friends. Check that socio-economic demographic. Some may not be English speakers, and some may not be part of the regular daily workforce. College Station is changing, oh my yes. Coming soon to a neighborhood near you.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
quote:
Most of the older complexes aren't very close to campus, so not worth tearing down yet. But the old 16-story (or however tall) building that was at the corner of University and Texas was torn down (imploded), and there were some apartments along Wellborn that got torn down. Both replaced or being replaced with newer apartments. Not sure if the old married student housing counts as an apartment complex, but that got torn down. I know of at least two more complexes that are going to be torn down in the next year to make way for progress.
In all fairness, that eyesore needed to go.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
Sit on it, Potzie
Scoopen Skwert
AG
Can't wait to retire, downsize the house and buy land way far far away from all of this.
Carnwellag2
quote:
The houses in those neighborhoods are bigger than the at shacks- they could actually hold 8-10 students. I wonder why students don't rent there?
FlyRod
I don't get it either. Maybe ordinances opening up those properties to rent to 8-12 students in one dwelling are pending. Overdue I'd say.
Stupe
S
quote:
quote:
The houses in those neighborhoods are bigger than the at shacks- they could actually hold 8-10 students. I wonder why students don't rent there?
They can't due to HOA bylaws.
95_Aggie
AG
quote:
Can't wait to retire, downsize the house and buy land way far far away from all of this.
Curious why you decided to move to or stay in a college town in the first place. Surely you should have expected this?
FlyRod
Hmmm...I've lived in and visited quite a few college towns and this situation varies enormously actually. There are some college towns where residential areas quite close to the university have been remarkably well preserved, and are quite coveted as places to live: beautiful, leafy old well kept neighborhoods close to to the university, yet distant enough in a good way.

The way BCS is evolving seems to run counter to this, with successive 'hoods close to campus succumbing to "student decreptitude." Clinging to the dwindling hope that mine does not become one of them.
95_Aggie
AG
As much as people complain about how CS makes it hard on small business ... they sure do make it easy on housing developers.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
Grew up around here and after getting out of the military needed to be near older parents. The growth is welcome but I enjoyed the 70s and 80s size town.
95_Aggie
AG
fair enough
AC Hopper
S
quote:
Quote:
quote:
Quote:

quote:
They can't due to HOA bylaws.

Not by-laws.
Rather Deed Restrictions & CCR's (Covenants, Conditions, Restrictions), such as single family occupancy provisions; rules against street parking; construction and design requirements; etc. -- all of which are enforceable by individual homeowners and the HOA's though fines, forced compliance, law suits, liens, and foreclosure.

Nobody really wants to mess with this! Extremely costly, time consuming, and painful.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.